AMD Radeon 5800 XT (big NAVI) to get 80 Compute units?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, sounds good. Meanwhile the red team should/could/must tweak and optimize the drivers.
    We all know how important is to have solid driver, able to make shine one product.
    But Lisa Su until now proven a very capable lídCEO and lider and having foresight bordering the clairvoyant.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If it needs memory bandwidth, it will need either a 512bit bus, or HBM.
    I'd expect HBM again, for the very high end.

Not looking like chiplets yet either, unless they Quad-up the 5500/XT die.

OnnA likes this.
  4. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    It may slightly exceed the 2080 Ti, and perhaps match/slightly exceed the RTX 3070 as well, but will be far less efficient as usual

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sincerely looking forward to more information on this!

DeskStar likes this.
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Better than 2080Ti would be amazing. Obviously I'm still hoping for a card matching the 3080Ti so I can go Team Red for GPU as well but who knows.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Now this is intriguing. If it's not a CFX card, and works well, this might be the time to switch to 4K gaming, with a new screen which is Freesync Premium super edition plus or whatever it's called these days.

edit: probably the card hinted at with that VR benchmark? +20% compared to a 2080TI there?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    How do you figure? What do you know of RDNA2 that we don't?

9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It can easily be 20% faster than 2080ti.

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I'm more excited for big navi than nvidia 3k even though they'll be better. I really wish amd to do well in the GPU segment.
    Even though my first and last amd card was a 5770,i'd like to switch to amd again.

11. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

Is the nuclear reactor needed for this GPU included in the package ? :D

12. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    if this is 5800xt, then what will be the 5950xt specification?

[​IMG]

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    One of the things AMD does tend to do is to push the voltage and resulting power draw pretty high almost to it's limits so since the AMD Fury at least if not even before that it's possible to nearly halve the power draw and lose at most maybe 5% performance.
    Maybe things will be different here but if that makes a change between how the card positions itself against the 2080Ti then I expect AMD to go for it although at least it allows for a very good fine tuning should users want to try and balance it a bit.

EDIT: Though it could also be bit on how AMD and NVIDIA reports power draw and such, guessing at full load and boost they might not be that different.

EDIT: About 270 - 290w for the Ti it seems but then it also performs in a class of it's own.
    5700XT has a 8x and a 6x by default and seems to be around 225w for how it performs but it has these spikes or high short period transient draws too which can almost hit 300w I think it was.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    They have gained 50% efficiency with the Vega cores on the new APU's.
    I'm pretty sure they will be using what they have learnt for the High end chips.
    Two 5700Xt's would pull over 400W, they are going to have to drop that to 250/300W Max, if not less.

I Don't expect there to be any overclocking headroom though....

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah 7nm and other improvements plus whatever the clock speeds land at for how these additional compute units will require and then I guess we'll see about HBM2 or not which would increase price although it would also possibly reduce the memory bottleneck that would be hit with a lower bus width and GDDR6 unless AMD opts for 384 or 512 but it's speculative until more info is actually available.

EDIT: And how it scales now if doubling the compute units from 40 (5700XT) to 80 here.

EDIT: Maybe a bit too optimistic actually.

5900 and HBM2 and then 5800 here at 384 bit GDDR6 then at maybe ~10 GB or so possibly a bit faster if that's achievable.

EDIT: But then where does that leave this supposed 5950 unless it's a all out maxing the clocks and voltages with no remaining headroom just to push the GPU to it's limits for whatever performance gain could be had.

Though it should be more than just a specially high clocked 5900 but that's also what AMD did for the 590X over the 580X

16. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    HBM2 might be necessary due to power budget reasons - same as with Vega. Also, performance didn't scale linearly with more CUs on Vega - some CUs were doing literally nothing on Vega64. Hopefully AMD worked that out and the scaling will be better. Or maybe the added CUs are meant for dedicated RT processing.

Still just rumors though. As much as I like to discuss the possibilities, nothing's certain until we get hard numbers.

OnnA likes this.
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah RDNA and architecture improvements here over GCN could hopefully let it scale better than Vega and it being front loaded I think it was called where these cores sometimes just waited or had little going on thus the cards not getting the full performance outside of compute work.

And then we'll see how AMD leverages this and overall efficiency and improvements whether a more balanced approach or just using it for higher clock speeds and a higher power target over what the 5700(XT) had which is what I am expecting but we'll see whenever AMD actually has more details to announce or something more leaks that might add more to these bigger Navi GPU models. :)

EDIT: Which might also be close to when NVIDIA has something to unveil with Ampere then, also something if they're close to a reveal and whenever the consumer models will be retailing for this.

EDIT: If the 5800(XT) can exceed the 2080Ti I would expect AMD to want good numbers for just how much faster this card is even if the 2080Ti's been on the market for a while now so that would also speak for a possible similar situation where the card is close to capped out at factory settings but that too is nothing but speculation until there's some more details available. :)
    (And if they can't well that's going to give some discussions so that puts some pressure also on this little 30% performance gap they'd have to close at least to reach the lead.)

EDIT: Doubling the CU's shouldn't give a 50% increase in performance but if it can get close to a 30% then maybe though VRAM whether HBM2 or GDDR6 and possible core clocks or other improvements would have to carry the rest going for a up to 40% faster performing GPU model.

Could be better could be worse, we'll see.
    (Would be nice though but it could be a bit optimistic.)

tunejunky likes this.
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Cannot wait for people using the usual:
    `not impressed`
    `can't beat my 18 months old geforce 2080ti`
    `but what about ray tracing performances`

... and so on.

If the top card from AMD stays around 700$ is a win for the consumers in general.

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I have a bad feeling though. If Nvidia was afraid of Big Navi, 3080ti would come before 3070 and 3080. What do you think people here?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    big navi will sit under 3080
    Arcturus will compete with 4080ti