AMD Radeon 21.1.1 drivers confirmed to bring Radeon cards a massive boost in Hitman III

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    apple020997 and JonasBeckman like this.
  2. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    How is this possible.
    dont usually see such high gains from a driver.

I think AMD gimp so they can look good latter on.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I would assume once they have access to the game they can see how it works and then optimize the driver to better run the game.

apple020997, OnnA and DeskStar like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Now thats what you call game ready drivers. Its rare to see such a uplift just by updating the drivers.

apple020997 likes this.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It's not like you needed any extra performance , this game has very low req.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Wish I could see the difference from the old driver still :D but damn, this is nice. What's the saying, "fine wine"?

apple020997 likes this.
  7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    3070 = 6800 at start. I can bet in 2 years difference will be big in favour of AMD . Already we can see bigger potential in new radeons that launch.

apple020997 and DeskStar like this.
  8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    You serious?!?!

Driver updates can give more if need/implementation is there.

Driver optimization is a thing you know.

Hateraide is also too.....

9. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    I'm just gonna leave my comment here where I'm so amazed and in disbelief about the performance increase that I'm starting to question if this was deliberate gimping to look bad later without actually knowing a thing about coding, game development, drivers, GPUs etc. Classic.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AMD's driver team is pretty small. They usually leave performance on the table at first aka AMD fine wine. I'm sure this will be a focus as they have more revenue as it is one of there weakest points.

Undying, Embra and CPC_RedDawn like this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yeah, leave a bad first impression and then make things better after people have already moved on and made up their minds. Sounds like a great strategy. </sarcasm>

AMD isn't exactly known for making good Windows drivers (their Linux team, meanwhile, does a fantastic job). One of the reasons I recommend Nvidia to people new to PC gaming is because they have a much more consistent experience. Nvidia obviously isn't without their driver woes either (usually when Nvidia screws up something, it's much worse than AMD's screwups) but they are overall noticeably better at getting their drivers right the first time around.

Airbud, JamesSneed and Stormyandcold like this.
  12. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Now 6900xt is faster than 3090 even at 4k around 10% and the same with 6800xt vs 3080 @ 4k (cca 10%)
    At lower resolutions its even more noticeable ofc
    But 4k was the resolution where AMD usually lost, not here...

apple020997 likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    why is it unusual that an engine that has historically favoured AMD architectures, is faster on AMD?

alanm likes this.
  14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Big Oof

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder if that's with or without SAM if that changes anything if the bit for that is set in the bios or not.
    Could be a bunch of RDNA stuff in there too for all I know though and then there's compute shader and performance gains from this and optimizations focused around such effects.

Stuff like VRS Tier 1 or Tier 2 sounds like something you would stick in the game engine as toggles not something you'd hide in a driver profile for a game that's a bit borderline in terms of openness and fairness.
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gears-vrs-tier2/

Course if it's all about being the fastest then there goes that I suppose same as the early 2000's ha ha.

Well I'm expecting RDNA optimizations and possibly another bit more than the usual gain if Resizable BAR and AMD SAM is working well together for this game.

EDIT: Might be pushing async compute heavily too, utilizing another optimization alongside with effective compute shader processing though that could also be combined with RDNA tweaks in some fun ways I would imagine.
    Rapid packed math is a thing too though pre-RDNA not sure how extensively utilized it is or if there's much of a gain from it with RDNA architecture GPU's or if other optimizations or instructions here could be better instead.

Maximizing shader performance and if they're working with IO also having the engine tuned for D3D12 and all of these advantages.

Not sure but Turing and Ampere cards from NVIDIA should also be running the game really well benefiting from much of this but that would also go for other games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and AMD's similarly pushing close or above NVIDIA GPU's here so there's some other stuff involved too.
    (Not that I would know what though or how it's all handled by the game engine and then together with AMD or NVIDIA GPU driver profiles and what not.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Exactly what I was thinking.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    But it was worth showing off that extra raster performance.

TIME will show, but im betting on AMD this round. RT is too far off, performance wise. Strong raster performance will lead current gen( some call it next gen aka. Ps5 xboxx)

18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yea I quit giving a crap about RT before I even had a chance to experience it. Still though, I can't make the switch to an AMD gpu when driver stability is an issue I see all over the internets.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    There isnt any. My r6800 is as stable as my old 1060. I could say it is better driver wise.
    Dont believe old internet myths. (3yo is old :D :)
    Give me game or scenario, and bring my rig to crash/freeze/bs.
    I did also quite alot of OC on my build.

Where is this magical unstability?

Corbus and apple020997 like this.
  20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well you are one of many without instability. I like facts, numbers, and testimonials. The fact is that I've seen far too many people talk about black screens and free-sync/g-sync issues on AMD GPU's. The number of people I've seen talk about driver issues with AMD is overwhelmingly bigger than Nvidia issues. The testimonials, they speak for themselves. As a consumer these are all things I take into consideration.

Airbud likes this.