AMD Radeon (big NAVI) again rumored to get 80 Compute units

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes please AMD. Starting to get really excited about next gen cards from both vendors.

Embra likes this.
  3. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    It dont make financial sense to target the small enthusiast market.
    Im in no doubt that it will be slower than the competition.

4. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    We keep hearing about it for two years, can't wait to see it in person.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why not? It's not like targeting the top prevents them from competing in the larger areas..

In the past AMD simply didn't have the cashflow to run concurrent GPU launches. I don't think that will be a problem for them anymore. They can easily launch large RDNA2 GPUs, use cut down variants to fill in gaps then refresh RDNA1 for the rest of the lineup or something.

fantaskarsef, Maddness, OnnA and 2 others like this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well AMD would start with the full chip anyway and from there go to 4 or 8 units down to 72, 64, 56 and so on whatever models and specs AMD has lined up using as much as possible as what might not meet the full 80 criteria could still work for the 72's or the 64's and whatever changes or how AMD does the let's say 6900, 6800 and so on.

Same as on the CPU side and Intel and NVIDIA and all that, might not be full 3950X material but would work as a 3900X without trying to get into some complicated discussion on silicon and wafers and all that. :D
    Cut and scale down use as much of the binning process as possible for what defects and yields are available which I think are getting more complicated as these die shrinks happen but seem to be doing OK at least.

Well that last part depends on what the launch situation will look like and initial availability plus costs and potential increase in costs from the retailers as that initial supply meets demand and disappears. :p
    Goes for NVIDIA too with Ampere I suppose now on a new process and then die shrink and how the situation looks for this compared to Navi here.

Plus additional partners, distribution of consumer grade chips versus workstation and for AMD there's also a part of it going to Apple and their hardware.
    And the whole bit about the actual die and core GPU itself which for NVIDIA that's the A something (A100 and up was it?) and Navi20 to I think 23 or thereabout at least for AMD.

EDIT: Cost wise though no clue as to what AMD or NVIDIA have planned, GDDR6 as a more expensive chip though not HBM2 or variants thereof expensive but then paired with a 256 or 384 bit controller and how that is handled and additional costs and pairing of memory modules.

128 or something for the lower end cards resulting memory and total bandwidth speeds plus whatever the price will end up at although I am expecting the enthusiast tier high-end models to be on the costlier side even with the general increase in hardware or perhaps more so because of it.

After that I guess anything could happen for the high-end, mid and low-end models following that price level entry.

Hoping for 600 - 800 but 1000+ Euro / US Dollar and retailer price increases on top of it doesn't sound too implausible either and from the other news if NVIDIA is sticking 16 - 24 GB of RAM onto their cards that'd probably all but confirm it.
    Although for their cards the 3080Ti is I believe taking the position the Titan cards had before so that also shifts things around a bit assuming that info was correct that is basically moving a big part of the GPU lineup up one tier in pricing.

EDIT: And how AMD will respond and position their own GPU hardware or what they can without reducing profits from costs and hardware, HBM would probably mean it's going to cost but that's still unconfirmed and I think recent info leaned more on going with GDDR6 although more than that seem to be rumor and guesswork at least for now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Having a top tier competitive card can help have a psychological effect on making the whole line seem more "premium", hence selling more mid-level gpus.

Nvidia has benefited by this from this for quite some time now. Bragging rights.

AMD would benefit across their whole line of gpus if they can go head to head against NV top tier.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Twice the size of the 5700 XT. Cool, so since they're already knocking seven NM out of the park with superior returns one can assume they're not going to be that far off from the silicon returns of that of the 5700.

Half is what I'm reading. And I would go as far as saying it's going to be better than that as fabrication has to of gotten better/more efficient.

Man if this is truly going to be twenty-thirty percent faster than the 2080TI and Nvidia is going to offer up something potentially fifty percent faster to future of graphics cards is looking great!

Sure hope these things come with sixteen plus gigabytes of RAM!!

That is if these things come in at a decent price point!!

Buying $1,000 graphics cards any more are pretty much of this guy's want.... Done with that nonsense.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hope it´s true, we really need the competition.

Maddness likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    This way of thinking makes no sense to me. People for years have been complaining about AMD because they don't have a competitive flagship, whether they were going to buy it or not. For more mainstream GPUs, people would buy Nvidia because of association with them having the best product, even though mainstream products aren't the best.
    AMD is finally making something that might actually top Nvidia in performance, and here you are saying "eh what's the point".

I just don't get it. You people complain that there's not enough competition, and when there [ostensibly] finally is, you question if they should be competing. Make up your mind.

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I do believe this will be released as a cut die that AMD will only release in its full capacity only when 7nm gets more mature.
    I just hope big rdna2 doesn't just end up being an urban legend like big rdna1,and brings amd on feature parity with rt acceleration and image reconstruction techniques better than turing's RTX and DLSS 2.0

really ? is this the whole reason ?
    not the performance,stability,feature set,good AIB versions,nvenc and cuda integration,decent OC,power efficiency,resale value ...

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I disagree. It makes a ton of since to make a halo product from a marketing standpoint. I think many undervalue how much perception sells GPU's. Also AMD can take the same die that has defective CU's etc and make lower end products.

Maddness and schmidtbag like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    No, and to clarify I didn't imply that it applies to everyone either. But I have met people who bought Nvidia specifically because of the name. They didn't care what the alternatives were, they just knew Nvidia had the best, so therefore that status must have trickled down (even though it's never that simple).
    As I always say: buy what you need for your budget. If you have infinite budget, just go ahead and buy the best, whatever that may be. If you need a low-end Nvidia GPU because of certain features it has that AMD doesn't, that makes sense, and is a valid reason to buy it. But my point is that a lot of people buy something because of status, biases, or whatever "team" they're on. AMD is recognized to be the inferior competitor in a lot of ways, so if they can finally compete at the enthusiast level, people can focus on making informed decisions rather than emotional decisions.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    well,didn't you meet people who bought amd specifically cause of the name too ? even if there were alternatives ? why is one brand name worse than the other ?
    doesn't seem like it's a problem that's limited to nvidia owners only like you're trying to paint here.

and AMD competing with Ampere is a really,really long shot.this is what happens when you try to sit one round out and your competitor is going full steam on the other hand.

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Lets say AMD beats Nvidia in every one of those areas well excluding some proprietary Nvidia features, Nvidia would still outsell AMD this generation. So there is some truth to it. AMD should have the performance and power efficiency nailed but they really need a halo product and they need to focus on drivers for stability and features.

16. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    As always, I wish AMD the best. I want good competition in the market to push all players to put out their best products, at the best prices. However, I've been hearing "just wait, its going to be an Nvidia killer!" since I got back into PC gaming in 2013. The 290x was immediately trumped by the 780 ti and a price drop on the 780. The Fury X had 4GB of RAM to the 980 ti's 6GB, and performed more like a 980. The Radeon VII was little more than vaporware and didn't compete on price or performance. The 5700 XT was rumored to be more powerful than it was until it launched.

Time and time again, the rumor mill describes cards that perform much higher than what we actually see at market, and they struggle to compete on price with what they do deliver. AMD has had some great cards down in the $200-250 range, and the XT line provides an alternative to the 2070 series for people who really don't want to buy Nvidia. But at that $350 to $400 price point, they just haven't been competitive.

I really hope this changes. I hope they can do with Radeon what they were able to do with Ryzen. But until I get slapped in the face with amazing performance at competitive prices, I'm just not believing any of these rumors.

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that would require:
    1. amd to actually beat nvidia
    2. amd to be able to make their cards equally available as nvidia's

I don't know if both those can happen this gen already ,so speculating why amd can't outsell nvidia is kinda pointless until they really deliver.

18. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Having the performance crown is important, because most journalists, youtubers, streamers, use the most powerful card available usually. All this is basically free advertising and help a ton for branding.

fantaskarsef, Maddness, OnnA and 2 others like this.
  19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    They have had a few that stood up the hype but it has been a long time. I had a 5870 which was a really great card at the time and lived up to the hype. For some reason in the GPU space there are some serious rabid people, I think because it tends to be a younger audience, this drives sites making a lot of rumors because they get more money from clicks.

20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If that is the case then replying to people speculating on why AMD cant outsell Nvidia is even more pointless don't you think? Please stop trying to troll people.