AMD Quad Crossfire Low GPU Usage/Load

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by JoaoAragao, Aug 3, 2016.

1. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 6990 & 6970 & 6950
    Hello everybody, i know there's a ton of threads like this one around the internet, but i wasn't able to find one in particular that suits and fix my problem. I read a lot , i've tried a lot and none of the methods fix my problem. What happens is i have a quad crossfire setup and in some benchmarks ( like 3d mark firestrike) and some games ( GTA V , CS:GO ) the gpu load in every gpu is low ( 50% each! ), but in other way in heaven 4.0 i can get the full load of the gpu's and 3d mark 11 extreme benchmark i can get it too. I have a PowerColor HD 6990/Asus HD 6970/Msi TwinFrozr III 6950 unlocked bios, my cpu is i7 2600k sandy bridge and i use 1600 mhz 4x2gb RipJaws x cl9 ram, i have a Sapphire 1250w Pure psu and msi z68-gd80 b3 mobo. At this point i can't really be sure of where the problem comes from, drivers psu ram cpu, or even crossfire profile. Do you guys have some idea?

Picture of 3d mark extreme gpu test 2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epuitsmiegrwxhh/2016-08-03 11.07.08.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  3. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:
    Before it all, thanks for your answer.
    So, are you saying to me that the crossfire "thing" is not 100% correct or efficient or stable? I'm facing a lot of issues, like i do a clean install of gpu drivers and everything seems to work fairly okay, but then somehow it's the same. It not like i play a lot and that stuff, cause no, i don't play a lot, and for what i play this is more than enough. I'm just trying to figure out whats causing this strange errors, and then this questions comes to my head, should i upgrade ram? Is it possible to be psu no giving sufficient power to gpus? Or even the cpu slowing down the gpu. Really seems that something is holding back gpus. But i don't forget what you've said. Now i'm in a nowhere to go position.

4. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Most of the games are don't even optimized for 2-Way Multi-GPU, on top of that AMD in terms of multi-gpu support is terrible and you have legacy GPU's.
    Sorry to say this but your setup will never work well, sell the cards and get a GTX 1070 or something similar.
    Your PSU is okey, maybe with a decent overclock and a pair of 2133mhz memorys can extract more performance from your cards, but you will still having issues like microstuttering and low GPU usage.

I switched from a 7970 / 7950 crossfire to a single GTX 1070 .... i get tired of dealing with the Crossfire issues

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Crossfire back then wasn't particularly working well with more than 2 cards. Given the recent burst of lazy developers crossfire/SLI does quite bad.

Don't think there is something wrong with your hardware, its just that crossfire/SLI has fallen out of favour.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Unsupported cards + quadfire is just asking for trouble. Sell them and get a single card

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    That is the best option!!

Agreed!!

Your cards are legacy if im not mistaken...

The known issues in the driver is mostly CF issues...

You have Quad..you are asking for trouble..lol.

Good luck though!

8. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    hey,

what happens when you crank up the resolution in GTA V?
    is GPU usage going up? because it could be drawcall/cpu limited.

but actually from your mainboard specs i can see that your board doesnt even support 8x/8x/8x pcie... so pcie bandwidth is limiting you anyway.
    but you could try the first advice with increasing resolution anyway...

so the cards are not the problem... your board is just not a true quad/tri sli/cfx board...

edit: also dont let people tell you that quad or triple cfx is asking for trouble.
    if you would put those into a proper quad sli/cfx mainboard they could be fed correctly.

on another note. it wouldnt be worth to upgrade your mainboard for that unless you can get one second hand for fifty.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  9. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:
    So , change the graphics card is an all in one, right here, right now solution. And that's it, i've got my problem solved. But no sure in other way if it really was something olding back my gpu's and if i sucessfully get everything work end up saving some money. As the Vase said i will try to do a little more research before doing so drastic (with whoever can help me with that :) ) Anyways thank you thank you guys all of your support and help. Thumbs up for all comunity of this forum!!^

10. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:

So, i'll do it by steps.
    First i will make a little movie or take a snapshot for my actual settings and performance in gta 5. Then i will make other movie with bigger resolution to show the differences. In this particular game i think the ram is slowing down the whole general process. The textures are loading very slowly when i drove a fast car. I will try to show you. Thanks

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    here are the issues

-multi gpu is getting worst day after day
    -you have quite a complicated setup there
    -games like GTA V are very cpu intensive, you're probably hitting a cpu bottleneck due to the absurd amount of gpu power, check to see if cpu hits 100% load while on that scenario where you see low gpu load, I dont think even OCed to its max that 2600k could handle that
    -cards are old, as said, legacy cards + multi gpu is just a problem
    -your motherboard, like 99% of them, cant really handle all those gpu's

solution:

stay with 2 gpus max, or sell all of them and get a single powerful one, fps counter is not everything, you will have a better experience with a single gpu, thats guaranteed

btw if you want to see all gpus getting stressed 100% just go with insane amounts of AA and supersampling 4k or something, also textures not loading on gta v means cpu is at 100% or if installed on a hdd its pretty slow one

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  12. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:
    I'm almost posting 2 videos. Just a minute. What about vram and ram? Cpu don't get 100%. I'll show in video

13. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:
    So step 1 - gta V movie performance with my current settings ( low settings, still stuttering and low gpu usage)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b0ukrbsi01n56m/VIDEO0011.mp4?dl=0

Step 2 - up the resolution

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkowspko143abu1/VIDEO0012.mp4?dl=0

( I'm now trying with every possible setting low and seems not to do 100% fine, but is better. Don't know exactly what is the source of the problem, smells like ram or vram. I can take 1 gpu out, but I bet I would crank up the gpu load but still no enough to get stable fps, is what I'm saying, is something throttling back my gpus )

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Biggest problem is gonna be the cpu, as fast as it is cfx adds cpu overhead,
    how much, i cannot say but these are pre gcn which means they use static scheduling ie it is done by the driver.
    cfx also isn't 100% efficent, every card added reduces the overall efficency some
    games may even lose performance.

My first suggestion would be to pull out the 6950 out of the last slot since it will be dragging down the other gpus being choked
    by the pcie 2.0x4 speed it will also potentially effect the cpu load.
    in a perfect world cfx would use tiled rendering, but most games use afr so that means the slower card is gonna potentially create microstudders,
    or the faster cards will have to pace themselves to keep frame times smooth(not sure which one happens on mixed gpu setups )

second thing you can do is oc your 2600k further if you can, and see if it helps with overall utilization.

edit:also you have an effective 2gb of vram, vram doesn't stack with cfx, lowering render distance and texture detail will probably help the most.
    thats all i can really advise.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  15. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i'll repeat myself from my previous post but:

1. your board isnt suitable for 3-way or 4-way mgpu BY SPEC!

2. your cpu is weak and cannot feed the drawcalls

problem number 1 is not fixable without a hardware change.

problem number 2 is dependant on problem number 1 ANYWAYS even if you manage to overclock your CPU.

the only thing you can try to rule out any software/configuration problem is to deactivate 2 cards and check what happens in 2-way crossfire.
    does 2-way give you 100% gpu utilization (if yes, then you cant do anything without changing your hardware, which in your case is not really worth it)

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sell all those legacy (VLIW4) GPUs.

Buy a 480 or a 1060.

Profit (more performance, less heat, more power saving).

17. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
  18. JoaoAragao

JoaoAragao Member

GPU:
    Update

UPDATE

-----------------------

I solved my problem doing this:

- Deactivate crossfire (Fix stutter but only use the HD 6990 fully )
    - Compatiblity open to windows 7 ( Fix slow load textures )

Now i can run the game a lot smoother than with crossfire on and uses almost all the time 90% of gpus. Thank you all help

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Listen to this man.

20. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    If you disable CrossFire it will only use one GPU. So it won't use 90 procent of your GPUs.

If disabling CrossFire solves your problem, then the best thing is to leave it disabled or buy a new card.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016