AMD quad core people, is a windows bug throttling your CPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by adrock311, Apr 3, 2011.

1. rusty-the cat

rusty-the cat New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870
    my MSR values are the same but I saw an increase. Depends on cpu, I guess.

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

You should change your first post in this thread to reflect this, as to not confuse people

EDIT: NM you didn't start this topic

3. flimbo

flimbo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No difference here after trying the TLB Disable patch.
    One question, does this make any permanent changes to the system?
    From what I gather, once you reboot things are back to normal?

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Yeah once you reboot things are back to normal

The settings are only memory address changes, they don't change the systems registry or anything

5. flimbo

flimbo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ok thanks for that.

6. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Yea I would have if I did, thats why I posted this last post to clarify my mistake

7. PcZoneExtra

PcZoneExtra Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Testing tlb on phenom 2 955 be

Ok guys they say not affected phenom 2 my ass look at this result
    running:win 7 32bit sp1 unlocked 4gb memory to use
    amd phenom 2 x4 955 be stepping 3 agena clocked at 3,616ghz
    motherbard formula 2 am2+

tested on unigine haven default settings.1680x1050

system default

fps: 32,5
    scores: 819
    min fps 8,1
    max fps 78,9

tlb disable

fps: 32,6
    scores: 822
    min fps 16,7
    max fps 78,6

look at minimum fps its doubled

i hope this **** will be fixed in next version of windows

8. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Sounds just like a fluke in benchmarking to me

I've had cases with Dirt 2 benchmarking where average scores were normal, but minimum were only 7-10FPS below it, and I run the benchmark 5 more times, and the minimum is then on average 20fps below it

Never just run ONE benchmark and then conclude the results

Also, your total score only went up 3 points, which sounds within the norm percentage fluke of benchmarking, to me that sounds like TLB patch was already disabled with your Phenom II

9. PcZoneExtra

PcZoneExtra Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Get serios man.This is 3rd run on all.system default/tlb disable.All peapole in the world know that 1st run benchmarking scores is not accurate.I talking about minimum fps where is quite difference.

10. Valagard

Valagard Guest

And I am telling you that you have a fluke in results

Look at your max FPS with TLB disable, its lower then before you even applied it!

You would be seeing a increase of 30% across ALL scores of TLB disable was working, not just a fluke on the minimum FPS

And also, you are using the wrong software for testing, you should be running something like superPI before you apply the patch, and then run it after the patch, and find out your CPU results

You are testing your videocard, not your CPU, and like I said I have had fluke results with videocard testing before where 5+ runs are where min FPS is 20 below average, then that one run where min FPS is 6-7FPS below average

Download Sisoft sandra and do a CPU benchmark, run it once after boot, then once after applying the disable patch and see if you get wildly different results, cause right now you are testing your GPU, not your CPU

EDIT: Looking at your post, you are running uiengine, which is a videocard benchmark, not a CPU benchmark

11. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    I had the same results in unigine benchmark, min fps more than doubled with tlb disable, and also less framerate drops in many games, i doubt its a fluke

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  12. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Again you need to run a benchmark like SuperPI and check your results

Reboot your system and run superPI and record the results, then apply the disable patch and record your results, if they are WILDLY different then yes you have the TLB enable bug still being applied with your windows installation

You notice with when I made that thread 2 years ago with this very issue I only used CPU benchmarks and not GPU benchmarks?

13. PcZoneExtra

PcZoneExtra Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    Now you are talking nonse ofcourse its for gpu testing but also it uses cpu power.run this bench on same system with older cpu and you will see result

Captain Janeway OUT!

14. Valagard

Valagard Guest

*facepalms*

TLB erratum error is a CPU thing, not a GPU thing

God, screw it, I'm just going to call you a -MORON- until you freaking do a CPU benchmark properly

Download SuperPI and unzip it, then reboot your system, run superpi and do the 2m test, find out your score, then do TLB disable patch and then run superpi and 2m test again

If SuperPI completes the test FASTER after TLB disable patch is applied, congrats, your CPU is working faster, if it -DOESN'T- go any faster, then you aren't affected with it and windows

That goes for all of you, running GPU benchmarks to find out CPU scores is freaking retarded, CPU's are nowhere near taxed enough running something like uniengine etc

Hell Vantage -HAS- a CPU test in it, go run that and see if your scores are a lot higher after using the TLB disable patch. First reboot into windows, run vantage, then apply the TLB disable patch and run Vantage again, if your scores go way up, then you know its working

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Cheers.. I wondered wtf that setting was in my bios ...:)

16. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE @2200Ghz_0.8500v
    RAM: 1GBx4 800 Mhz DDR2, 4-4-4-12
    GPU: AMD 6950

Running the TLB patch disabler, actually decreased performance for my setup.

1. Memory read speed decreased by nearly 500 MB/s
    2. Memory Latency increased by 8.0 ns
    3. L3 Cache Read speed decreased by 1000 MB/s
    4. L3 Latency increased by 2.0 ns

Ahem..gonna restart and check up speeds again..

17. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Hmmm my BIOS has a read-only info about Microcode something, but there is no setting associated with it. Is there any hidden super duper extra key to show settings in a BIOS like mine?

18. Valagard

Valagard Guest

It could just be random benchmarking variances too

19. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    CAUTION: not all benchmarks indicate TLB enable/disable performance change equally:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13741/4

check out the DIFFERENCE column to see which benchmarks are effective for testing TLB bug.

another site about various benches to test TLB:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/618/2/

again, check out the difference column there.

20. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Yepp speeds in my benchmark actually decreased since the TLB Patch Disabler..

The following are some benchmarks!!!.

800Mhz@0.7000v Left side image(Default) | Right side image(With TLB Patch Disabler)
    [​IMG]

2200Mhz@0.8500v Left side image(Default) | Right side image(With TLB Patch Disabler)
    [​IMG]

2700Mhz@0.9875v Left side image(Default) | Right side image(With TLB Patch Disabler)
    [​IMG]

3400Mhz@1.2000v Left side image(Default) | Right side image(With TLB Patch Disabler)
    [​IMG]

-Edit-

hmm..any ideas why!..