1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Pulls PCIe 4.0 Support on all non-X570 motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As long as that horrid statement "the customer is always right" is allowed to be said, people will do anything they can to blame the problem on someone else.
    As someone who has done computer repair for a lot of my life, I've seen the other side of your story very often, and trust me, it gets a LOT dumber. Not just because of the crazy things they'd say (like thinking Vista is going to make Pentium 3 system better, or, Internet Explorer being the most secure web browser... seriously), shenanigans people got themselves into (like a computer that was overheating due to a layer of thick smelly goo covering the entire interior, where the CPU fan couldn't even spin 100RPM - don't smoke, kids), but also the products someone managed to upsell them (like an 80 year old grandma with a Crossfire-enabled gaming PC who only checked email and played Christmas-themed solitaire).

The good part was how people very rarely ever accused me of doing something wrong, but, they still would grasp at straws and find something else to blame (like a virus that doesn't exist, or a teen installing a game). It amazes me how much people cling onto stereotypical computer issues from the 90s. The most common being "if I delete my music library, will that make my computer faster?"

Aura89 likes this.
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I was accused of doing something wrong exactly twice. Once when i was doing a whole pc backup and i left the computer after starting the process, and once when all the customer wanted was for me to make sure its updated and started windows updates, which had a big one that would take 30+ minutes, and i left the computer. Both times because "You left my computer, why am i waiting around for you to not be working on my compute!?" All the while trying to explain to them that its automated and nothing i can do will speed it up and if i was over there i'd be staring at the screen until its done. They didn't believe that and insisted if i was over there i'd be able to "click things on the keyboard and make it go faster" like....on tv or something lol

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    lol yeah, I always got worried people would get in a hissy-fit over that very thing, so, I would often warn people ahead of time that the process is going to take X amount of time and will involve a lot of sitting around. Though usually, if I knew I was going to do something like a full-system malware scan or a backup, I'd try taking the computer with me so I:
    A. Wouldn't have to sit around for a couple hours and make small talk with them
    B. Do other things while I wait, and not be accused of being lazy

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Most people still don't backup their data and use simple passwords without a two step authentication. You don't have to look further than that to know the average user is a computer illiterate. The worse ones are the ones who think they know a thing or two about computers while they obviously don't.

5. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    And because AMD is choosing not to support doesn't mean it can't work without issue on many boards...

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I mean maybe it does have issues and that's why they are saying no.

7. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    The point is no one in this thread knows the extent of related issues but some are quickly siding with AMD on this. This is an Intel move and if you watch closely we will see more of this as AMD gains a place in the CPU and GPU market again.

Do you really think these board companies would enable something that would only cause them headache in the long or short run? Some morons might contact AMD but the vast majority are calling Asus and Gigabyte for example when PCIe isn't working right. If there was such a high risk of failure do you really think they'd want that burden? I think those companies are smarter than that. I also think that AMD has money tied up in this new chipset they want to make money on.

8. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Sorry but your hypothetical's of problems don't mean squat either...

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I just told them that I only charged the time I was working on the PC.
    When its running Memtest or a Hard disk Test, I'm doing something else, or someone elses PC.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If I brought the PC with me I did the same. If they wanted me to stick around at their house, I would charge them for my total time being there. I would always tell them what the cheaper options was

The unknowns are precisely the reason why AMD pulled this move... They can't prove the previous-gen mobos are up-to-spec.
    Not only is it safe to assume they would enable such a thing, but they traditionally have done so. Overclocking voids warranties. Core unlocking was once a thing and never guaranteed stability. Many release beta BIOSes. You can override fan profiles. You can change the PCIe bus clock.
    All of these things can hinder stability. What makes this PCIe 4.0 situation different? They're the only ones with consumer-grade PCIe 4.0 hardware available on the market, so if something fails by unlocking this on older boards (which is very easily possible), they're the only ones who are going to look bad.

Besides, think of it like this:
    Let's say you do have a PCIe 4.0 device where you can take advantage of the additional bandwidth. What if it's unstable on your board? Even if you weren't to blame AMD for it, you're still going to get pissed off and not get what you want. You're gambling stability here.

Evildead666 likes this.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I don't think AMD planned to use their CPU Soc as a chipset.
    i think they would rather stuff them all in CPU's.
    It was ASMedia who couldn't come up with the chipset on time.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No one ever said it can't possibly work, but that its unreliable and they are not willing to put their brand in the hands of motherboard manufacturers who don't have to spec pci-e 4.0 lanes who are more interested in making it "work" for the sake of competition then for the sake of making it work reliably.