1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD publishes Radeon VII benchmark results from 26 games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    nah even amd/gpu division will use intel for testing and even public displays
    it may have been someone but fully amd supported/backed

anyways let me try to get my head around some debating on the webs,nv gives rtx cores(something new) does ray tracing full time like on games and we bitch. the price sucks but not bad other wise.
    amd refresh vega comes 7nm and has presumed 2080 performance and about? the same price.
    amd seems like a day(years)late and a buck short
    maybe if the "1180"would be a bs refresh with Samsung on 7nm and no 2080 we would feel better?
    if it just becomes a fps war its going to get even more boring then it is now
    just saying

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    Maddness likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Yea, why hasn't anyone done that yet? :D

ubercake likes this.
  3. Dwwolf

Dwwolf Member

GPU:
    R380X
    @schmidtbag

Its a die shrink step to get to know how 7nm performs and to get engineering experience with it.
    Both an architecture change and stepping down to a smaller node is generally a no-no in the fab world.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    fixed
    yeah you are right a big winner
    don't take it personal not bad cards but....face it

5. Jayp

Jayp Active Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Your statement seems reasonable at first glance. Then, you realize this was a 4K resolution benchmark and it's NOT very likely that the 7700K COULDN'T handle it. Furthermore, AMD isn't trying to demonstrate a 9700K or 9900K.

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480 8GB
    Wow, that's quite awful. HMB2 is quite energy efficient, much more so than GDDR5 so you'd expect a core-shrinkage to improve the numbers. Navi better deliver better performance per watt.
    (Not personally interested in the high-end stuff)

7. DrKeo

DrKeo New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970GTX 4GB
    1) GCN is 9 years old, its about freaking time.
    2) “no wasted silicon” - ai cores and rt cores are silicon that isn’t being used in 99.9% of games. So the 2080 gives the same preformance with extra unused silicon using 12nm with lower power usage at the same price. Thats a win win win win for Nvidia and one of the reasons that we get an 800$ gpu with 2017 preformance, because AMD just can’t fight back.
    3) yeah, you really should stop spreading dumb.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If you're trying to show the true potential of a GPU, you want to give it the best chance it has to show its true potential. I don't think Fox2232 so much cares that AMD was using an Intel CPU, but rather using a CPU that might screw with the results. Even at 4K, a 7700K is still bound to get choked up where an 8700K or 9700K might not. A 7700K is probably perfectly fine for 4K gaming, but it isn't definitively the best.

carnivore and blurp33 like this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    GCN today looks nothing like GCN when it launched - there has been numerous improvements, additions and architecture changes. Hell I'd argue there are more changes between 7000 series and Vega then Kepler and Pascal.

Turing has the same CUDA/MM2 density as GP100 including double the cache size, RT & Tensor on the same process density. 99.9% of new features requiring hardware goes unused - it's not wasted. DXR/RT is the future calling it a waste is dumb. No one said "Hardware Tessellation is a waste of silicon" when AMD launched the 5000 series and they certainly aren't now that's ubiquitous in all games.

carnivore, yasamoka and Jayp like this.
  10. Jayp

Jayp Active Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Yea I didn't miss the point. I actually run a lot of tests my self and I am very familiar with the way the 7700K works with 4K. It's really a non issue. I agree the 8700K, 9700K, 9900K would be better processors for the job but there are likely many reasons why the 7700K was picked. At 4K the 7700K isn't an issue in like 99% of games. It's really a non issue. These benchmarks here shouldn't be taken too seriously as we should really wait for others to get hands on the card as well.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 590 8GB XFire
    Kind of interesting--My Crossfire 590/480 system beats both of these Tomb Raider titles running the benchmarks for each. My guess it that it's early yet...;)

12. DrKeo

DrKeo New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970GTX 4GB
    Jesus, no one said that. All I’ve said was that the 2080 has a huge die that only parts of it is used for restorization preformance and still it preform the same, consumes less power and cost the same as the new and shiny 7nm GPU. Thats embarrassing.

Even better, consider the new Radeon vii vs the 1080 ti. It came out two years ago, it was manufactured on a 16nm fab and it cost the same. Thats really embarrassing. Its like Nvidia doesn’t even have to try anymore.

ubercake likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Fair enough - I agree but given their financial constraint I don't think they have much flexibility. Navi is really going to be make or break for their GPU division.

ubercake likes this.
  14. Yogi

Yogi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X
    Doesn't that mean that Nvidia is in the exact same boat. They've made no net improvement over the 1080ti either.
    They're still selling a card with 1080ti performance at the exact same price point as their competitors as well as themselves 2 years previously.

As far as I'm concerned the likes of the xx80ti and Titan cards have become 1% cards. They've priced themselves into a new price performance class. It's like trying to compare a porsche boxster to a 911 GT2. One is a fast car the other is a supercar.

15. junior_clk

junior_clk Member

So if you find benchmarks with the vega 64 with roughly these fps and compare them to the nvidia 2*** serie you can roughly compare the vii with the 2***

in shadow of the tombraider it is above the 2070 and should be around 2080/2080ti in 4k

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    As others have said, some of these benchmarks are CPU limited, either due to the API that is used or the CPU itself. In the long stretch, the Radeon VII is going to definitely demolish the GTX 1080 Ti as games start to leverage low level APIs more and more. DX11 was always AMD's weakness, but with Vulkan and DX12, their GPUs are much stronger due to the removal of the driver and multithreading overhead.

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GX@2720Z
    I would prefer results from FHD as more users using it. Me included. And I would shows more, than this tests, which can be CPU bounded. Anyway, GFX seems to bee good, so far, so maybe, maybe it will be my next upgrade.

18. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX480 Strix
    I doubt this card is aimed at 1080p users. It's certainly got the legs for 1440p and borderline 4k. For 1080p you'd be much better off with the vega 56 or RX 590

Embra likes this.
  19. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GX@2720Z
    for 1080p I have msi 1080 gaming x, and my son has vega 64. Vega in what he uses is better than 1080, my 1080 is better than his vega in what game I use. So. If it is 30+ better than my 1080 for 1080p I would take it. Depends on price ofc. Real price, not MSRP. And gains.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that FO76 result is clearly because a driver issue was fixed.