1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD preps 3.70 GHz Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

There are more and more signals on the web that AMD is prepping to release yet another faster clocked Phenom II X4 processor. This one would get a clock frequency of 3.70 GHz 18.5 x 200 MHz while staying...

More...

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ffs they are trying to milk these chips as much as they can lol. i see no point in putting out another X4 cpu.
    amd should put that money towards something else :bang:

3. PabloJet

PabloJet Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    Still only one miserable core for the majority of the apps I use. Only the games are using more than that, but as I play at 1920x1080, GPU is always more dominant than CPU. I will upgrade when Bulldozer 2 is released :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    AMD is totally milking the K10.5 microarch instead of killing it off eh?

deltatux

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Intel milked the hell out of conroe. I do agree, AMD is really milking the cow dry but Intel is also guilty of it.

6. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    There's no cost associated with these. Only profit. Deneb has reached higher and higher quality yields over the last 1.5 years and it only makes sense to try and capitalize off an X4 that's stable at higher speeds. I bet every singe one of these will do 4Ghz on a decent board no problem. Most are thinking these are 4.2-4.4Ghz capable chips. You can't say that about 965's and lower right now. My core #2 is a bum at 3.9Ghz+ on my 965.

Yes, BD is just around the corner, but why not capitalize off what you already have?

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    your completely right about that lol, but still

i agree with you but my comment was just me being me lol

8. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    This is sad and will only target hardware illiterate people since any of the Phenoms past and including the 940 will do those clocks with the automatic CPU Level Up function alot of motherboards feature.

So sad that even an i3 2300 at stock will beat the crap out of this Phenom.

9. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    You mean i5 2300, and just to kind of give you a heads up the 2300 performs about as well as the 920, the 920 is faster than comparable Phenom II cpus, but not by a huge margin. You also should remember that the 2300 is build on Sandybridge, which is a much newer core than what deneb is.

10. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    i3 2100, sorry.

Link

I know its a newer architecture but a CPU with HyperThreading, less Cache and much lower base clock frequency shouldn't be able to take down one AMD's top end Quad Core CPU.

I bought this CPU 4 months now and I knew what I was getting and I realy needed something new to replace my old Athlon but if I wasn't such a rusher, I would have waited for either the i5 SB or get an i5 760 for the sake of it.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    This happens all the time. Between the two, they go back on fourth on which one is faster based on benchmarks. The same thing happened with the x2 250 and the e8 series.

12. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Another question that I thought about is, what would be the price tag on this chip? I mean, here the 955 is at 130€, the 970 is between 170 to 220€ so who on earth would get a slightly higher clocked 955 for this price when you can easly get a newer i5 which will blow the AMD Cpu's away.

I seriously don't understand these merchandising. I guess theres still dumb enough people that will buy these chips.

13. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Amd plz prep bulldozer fasterrrrrrrrr, not that damn phenom 2.................

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think there might be a Phenom II 985 at 3.8 GHz stock before AMD buries K10.5 for good at this rate...

deltatux