AMD: Pre-X570 boards will not support PCIe Gen 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I don't think so. Pre-x470 boards aren't supposed to support PCIe 4.0, so there's no need to offer support for such a functionality. Every mobo model needs its own bios release anyway, so a manufacturer could check some of their models to see if the first 16x port seems to work with PCIe 4.0. If it seems to, make the bios switch visible. Add a warning to it, perhaps.

However, like I said, I don't see why they would do such a thing from a practical point of view since it could rob them of some new sales. I might even believe they have had some talks about this with AMD, to see what sort of incentives each generation would offer, to balance the CPU compatibility remaining there, as opposed to Intel's scheme. So far the generations have had at least something little. PCIe 4.0 might be the main thing for x570. It would certainly be more visible in marketing than x470's benefit over x370.

2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Thats not how product support works. If you offer an option, it has to work. No amount of warnings will deter people from using it, expecting it to work, and whining about it not working.

Even if all you do is tell them "its not officially supported", it'll increase the support volume, and will be looked unfavorable upon by people encountering such problems.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If it does not work, reset BIOS. Same as with certain memory configurations preventing board form realizing it can't get it working.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm not surprised, based on what I've read about PCIe 4.0. I'm also not particularly bothered by it, since I can't really make full use of lane bandwidth anyways. Of course 5 GB/s read for SSD is nice and all but I don't do heavy file transfers/editing, and GPUs don't come close to maxing out PCIe 3.0 lanes @ 16x.

I'll most likely wait until AMD's next socket for PCIe 4.0. We'll probably have more components that can make use of it by then. Of course those who can utilize the extra bandwidth might have to upgrade, but I think most of us will be fine with our current boards.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm betting PCIe 5.0 will be used by AMD's next socket, along with DDR5. The spec for PCIe 5.0 is already complete. I'm sure 4.0 will be very short-lived.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    We are talking about bios here. It's full of switches and settings that can make your PC not boot, crash randomly, or produce errors. In ye olde times some bios might have allowed you to unlock a disabled core in an AMD CPU, even though that core might actually be broken.

Sure, it would work, as intended. That's why I said the manufacturer would need to do some checks beforehand. If it didn't work for a particular PC owner out there with their particular pile of hardware, well, that's tough luck. Just like some people receive a CPU that can OC extremely well, whereas another gets one that will only offer a pittance. All the support needs to do is to give advice on how ot reset te bios, which is also basic knowledge in the manual.

7. H1TMANza

H1TMANza Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    What do you guys think about pairing a 3800x CPU on a b350 motherboard ? No overclocking , just stock speeds. Would I get away with murder ? Best bang for buck ?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Do you even know if your board will support the 3000 series? Because not all B350 boards can or will. Does it have an 8-pin CPU power connector? Is there a heatsink on the VRM?
    If the answer to each of those questions is "yes" then I'm sure you could run the 3800X on it, but bear in mind the XFR performance will likely be lacking, so you're not going to get the full performance you paid for.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Robert Hallock is also known for being wrong.

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    my x470 board recieved a beta bios that now has an option to switch between pci-e gens in the cpu options.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PCIE is a negotiated link, it will already automatically Down-Link when too many errors are reported during pci-e training.

my x470 board recieved a beta bios that now has an option to switch between pci-e gens in the cpu options.

be our test subject >:D

12. Geoffrey Morris

Geoffrey Morris Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080GTX
    Not having PCIe-4 is not a big deal, but they already enabled it on my Gigabyte X470 board and the F40 bios says full 3rd generation Ryzen CPU support. It is also running AGESA 1.0.0.2, so I have no clue what he means by final bios update. The whole thing sounds extremely fishy!