AMD Posts New Radeon RX 6800 XT and 6900 XT Benchmarks, mostly beating RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness, fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  2. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    It's clear that AMD is there - they managed to create a powerful chip that combined (by their new technologies) with their latest cpu's can work wonders.
    Of course I still expect independent reviews for performance with intel cpu's and older AMD (I have two systems one with i9900k and another with 3950X and I don't intent to upgrade soon - maybe to the end of the next year), thermals, noise, drivers, etc
    The big question for me is availability: will they manage to avoid the Nvidia launch disaster?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Cant wait Hilbert start review spaming for these. :D

Maddness likes this.
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    it will be many times better. expect mass cancel of 3080 orders .

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not really. Nvidia fanboys would rather wait 3080 for months and complain about amd drivers than get a faster available card.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the fact AMD took these 30 series numbers themselves on AMD cpu's and that they don't correlate to anyone in the review press, means i have bad news for AMD when nvidia rolls out r460 which has Ampere scaling fixed on Zen. :cool:

itpro likes this.
  7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It does not matter if you are -+10% faster or slower. Performace/$ is all what matters . Best possible FPS matters only for VERY small % of buyers, also keep in mind that Radeon gets more performance overtime from drivers , this has been true for many years. Just Check RX 580 when it launched and current performance , or 5700XT.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn you wrote ` AMD's cards took the leak`.
    Was it watercooled or a typo?

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    "mostly eating RTX"

Nice Freudian slip ;-)
    It might indeed eat future RTX sales alive

Maddness and Solfaur like this.
  10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What happens to the numbers when you turn RT on? That's another question. Nvidia has invested far more in RT, though I reckon Nvidia might be a little disappointed by the gamers' general reaction to it, which ought to be far less enthusiastic than Mr. Leather Jacket's. Nvidia could have made the 3000 series more powerful in traditional work if they hadn't improved the RT side as much as they did, I imagine, though I'm no expert. It remains to be seen how powerful, exactly, the AMD RT is.

Kool64, Loobyluggs and barbacot like this.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    So according to you and Nvidia. All RX 6000 cards are slower. That's what you say then? OK. Finally the truth is unveiled. For a moment I thought I could buy an equivalent or better gpu with less money, thank lord suvior God I ain't a victim once again. :rolleyes: o_O :eek:

12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    6800 is comparable to 3080/2080Ti on the benchmark. And more optimizations will come considering how differently RT works on the RDNA2.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    6800XT offer great value but the performance of RT is probably lower than Ampere, which might be the reason for many to buy 3080 instead.

Also, it remains to see the AMD DLSS alternative and driver stability.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

There is no way for AMD to optimise ray tracing from their end, it has to be done from the game software side, AMD can only make themselves available to assist in doing it.

Sadly, AMD's development support program has been absent in the recent years.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  15. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    ...and what happens when you are not using a latest 5000 AMD CPU + motherboard - how big is the performance gap?
    I understand that AMD wanted to showcase their new technologies but a benchmark with actual (older CPU) would have been nice to see the difference.

Maddness, Kaarme and itpro like this.

16. mikegray

mikegray Guest

GPU:
    290x Crossfire 1200/1300
    Are there any FPS comparisons showing the nvidia cards with DLSS 2.0 turned on?? I just assume it isn't, and that seems like a problem to me. THOSE are the numbers I want to see.

I can see AMD making two arguments against this:

1) Turning DLSS 2.0 off is the only way to get a true apples-to-apples comparison. However, from what I've heard so far,* them DLSS 2.0 apples taste so good you'd be very, very hard pressed to tell the difference. To change metaphors: If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, compare it to a duck!

* I've never seen it live - I'm still playing on a1080 ti - and trying to decide what I want to upgrade to.

2) AMD is working on an alternative, so if they're going to compare their cards to DLSS 2.0, they want their own Super Resolution up and running. That would be TOTALLY fair - only SR doesn't really seem to exist yet and DLSS 2.0 does, so ... yeah.

Note: I'm NOT anti-AMD! I have two mined-out to 290x cards mounted on my wall. And I'd love to see AMD push through another open-source situation that leads to something like the current freesync compatible situation.

But I also have a lot of doubts about how easy it will be for AMD to duplicate DLSS 2.0 and get games supporting it. I'm rooting for them, but nvidia is pretty good at that AI stuff, and it still took them a long time and two iterations.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well...all it would take is a simple synthetic test of its DXR performance, and nothing else. Only problem is, most synthetic tests involve a large chunk of other stuff at the same time, like AO, and that normally blows apart any chance of knowing with the specific performance of the cards are, AMD and Nvidia included.

As for the leather jackets...I think the time has come for me to retire that joke. I realised this when Linus Tech Tips began talking about 'LJJ' in an attempt to be funny...and I think that is when I saw the joke in the same light as my fellow gurus.

It's not funny any more, and I'm sorry to all for talking about leather jackets for the last decade or so...and you can thank Linus Tech Tips for this, because seeing him say it whilst grinning was ugly as hell :(

barbacot likes this.
  18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I cannot see anyone buying radeon this round with older gen zen combo. They lose performance. It's aggressive marketing. Free performance uplift for those willing to pay for upgrades? No **** Sherlock.

19. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    To be fair, not all AMD's performance slides were with SAM and Rage Mode on.

I don't see why people are so passionately siding one way or the other. The frame-rates from the 2080Ti and upward, and the new AMD cards are all really decent - how can you be unhappy with either? Too many egos...

AlmondMan, sykozis, GhostXL and 6 others like this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Important thing is that cards scale up fps at 1440p as well as nVidia's having much wider memory bus.
    And that means IC works. Now, let's see how far it gets cards at 1080p.

I wonder how many games RX 6800 can push to stable 240fps at 1080p. Images show that RX 6000 are capable to deliver such fps. Now it is up to RX 6800 to cut through 1080p and CPU limitation.