AMD Polaris 10 GPU To Offer Near 980 Ti Performance For 299 USD?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah that picture is more to show Intel's lead, the difference between 16nm/14nm is minimal. That's not to mention that the OEM's (nvidia/amd) have their own fab engineers that have input into the process. Plus there are multiple iterations of the same process, like 16nmFF+ for example, vs earlier TSMC 16nm.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    It would get very interesting for me to get one , however i find it hard to believe it will be at that price.

3. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    ill pay what ever when gpus can make me coffee in the morning.

4. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i make fried eggs on the backplate of my 270x after 1 hour of non-fps-capped gta v sessions

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    2560 SPs (presumed full Polaris 10) would need 1600mhz+ to match fury X fp performance

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    SP count is connected to TMU count. But what is real requirement for modern games at higher resolutions and AA are ROPs. Their count is not directly connected to SP/TMU count.

7. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Yeah but fury X had less rops yet excelled at high resolution.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Ah, in that case I guess they have gone that way now. At least Nvidia has taken that step already, according to the news HH posted some time ago. So I think AMD will have done the same by now.

9. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Why buy a Radeon pro Duo for 1600 euros, when 600 euros will get you better performance and power savings

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes, more or less what I said too. Not much sense in buying new GPUs right now anyway (as every year in late spring / early summer). Especially with such late launches as the Radeon Pro Duo (at least for gaming, that is), or the latest 980 Ti launch about 5 weeks ago :D

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, in the other thread I said it's a workstation card. Then I had multiple people quote me and reiterate to me that it's a workstation card as if my first sentence didn't say that.

Then Zero_Cool linked a gaming benchmark and said "told ya so", even though his previous post stated that it's a workstation card.

It makes no sense for gaming. By the time it ships Polaris will be less than a month away. Are you really going to spend $1000 to save one slot? Or $1000 for slightly better performance (if this thread's rumor is wrong). The faster Polaris is, the less the Pro Duo makes sense for gaming.

12. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I think fury X and 980ti are better recent buys than 390x 980.

Polaris 10 should realistically offer 390x performance at 380x prices which makes sense.

Similarly the x80 should offer 980ti performance at 980 prices

13. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Hmm i have a normal R9 290 quite happy with it but have the itch to upgrade still plays all games i own at 2560x1080 will have to have a look and see how much improvement it is from 290 to 980Ti to get a general idea of what to expect. 175w is damn good but can't help but wonder where does this put the big expensive fury? Not in a good position thats for sure.

As for nVidia cheaper than AMD i have never seen that in the UK, AMD has always been cheaper the reverse tends to happen in the states however.

14. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000

It makes slightly more sense as a workstation card for VR developers, but still makes very little sense. That said, I highly doubt Polaris 10 is beating Fiji.

15. Forebode

Forebode Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G 1530/8k
    the 980ti is nearly a year old. AMD and Nvidia can send out press releases as much as they want. Until we see a multi-game/multi-resolution/multi-quality bench-marking review... it's just words. I'd hope AMD will be providing more competition... so I really hope these performance:$ ratios aren't strictly based on ashes of singularity benchmarks. Do people still play that game? I haven't heard much since its release (my point exactly).

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It has FirePro driver support but no ECC afaik. It's probably better then some of the alternative FirePro cards for certain configurations/setups.

As for Polaris 10's performance, the only thing we know 100% is that we saw it play Hitman @ QHD @ 60FPS. Which is equivalent to Hilbert's 390x Hitman benchmark. That being said, the Fury X was only 14% faster at 69fps and there has been a lot of time between that Hitman viewing and now. I would imagine that due to the similarities in architecture, that both the Fury X/Polaris 10 would see similar gains via driver though.

But yeah, I expect it to be 390x level of performance. I also expect that AMD will use the Fury X to compete with Pascal for the time being (until Vega). Either that or they will do a dual GPU Polaris 10. Which would be slower than a Pro Duo, but cheaper and they can just not do FirePro support to differentiate it.

Nah it's even worse. The rumor is based on this:

Which a pretty ambiguous statement with literally no source.

Also AMD changed its 2.5x performance per watt to 2x performance per watt again.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/press-release-2016apr21.aspx

Granted it's a press release and who knows who writes it.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Completely agree. 980 isn't doing too well (horrible price imho), 390X is only interesting if you're on a budget.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    AMD could probably keept 390/390X to compete even with Pascal in DX12 performance wise, while 970/980 will be history soon.

Too bad Hawaii GPU's ware big/hot/powerhungry beasts.

19. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Yeah the only thing how AMD has been able to fight back for the past 5 years. I would rather see them get their hardware and especially software competitive for real. I'm not making my buying decision based on cheap alternative and then fight with the issues like I now do with my other PC.

The only good news for AMD for now has been that NV has been having issues with DX12 and I don't see when those would end.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That's the reason why they are able to compete.