AMD Phenom X4 945 and 955BE processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Today AMD is releasing two processors in the Phenom II line-up the Phenom II 955BE and the Phenom II X4 945 processor. Both processors can be considered and positioned in AMDs high-end segment yet will...

More...

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    That was an early post. Hehe. You fell out of bed, Hilbert? ;)

Nice price/performance ratio. At higher resolutions the competing CPUs are getting closer. That makes the cheaper CPUs even more interesting.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I aim to please.
    But I blame AMD for the early launch times though ;)

4. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Great review !!

I am really glad that AMD is releasing so many good products at excellent prices, I hope in the near future they go back on top. Intel has been on top for too long :)

5. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I want the 940 even more now!!!

Awesome review:)!!

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    AMD is catching up but still Intel has a massive performance advantage...

7. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I wouldn't exactly call it "massive", when I think "massive" I think "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" ;)

the i7 is slightly faster (you might be able to get away with "massive" on some of the benchmarks), but with real world applications AMD is getting closer and closer with every release.

8. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    All that needs to happen for AMD is Intel to stop making any new chips for 5 years, then maybe AMD can steal the crown again :nerd:

9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I thought they were releasing the 925? ARGGGGGG.....Its the last one my mobo supports :bang:

10. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Nice to read review, as always.

AMD's price-performance ratio for its platform is pretty tempting when thinking about upgrading, imo.

11. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    Great review, as always. The Phenom II's have meen making me drool for some time now :p

Just one question. You mentioned the Dragon platform, but didn't test it, opting to go with a GTX280 rather than a Radeon 4000 series. Is there any chance we can see the hype on this Dragon platform put to the test at some point in the future?

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    3.8 ghz quad @ 50C max? O rlly....

Btw, shows for the most part once you get past 1280 rez that the Core i7 is pretty much a good waste of money on the games tested, of course other games can be different.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This is the first time in years I can honestly look at an AMD upgrade. For a decent reasonably priced quad that kicks ass in gaming, AMD finally fits the bill. And they seem more enticing by the day. It holds ground with i7 in gaming benchmarks at high resolutions, ie, 1680 and above and even beats it in many cases:

http://hardware-infos.com/tests.php?test=64 (German, but you can read charts)

and Gurus AMD review basically demonstrates the same:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-ii-x4-920-and-940-review-test/

i7 still wipes the floor at er.. 1280x1024 and other non-gaming benches that are of little or zero significance to me. But their rip-off mobo pricing has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think they deserve the one finger salute.

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah it would seem that the i7 is really only worth it in multiple GPU setups, it would seem that the GPU in single GPU setups becomes the bottleneck from 1680*1050 and above and no amount of CPU will make a difference.

If your primarily a gamer anyway :)

15. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Doh Matt got to it before me.
    Wanna know the advantages of i7, aside from those 'non-gaming benches of zero significance' ?
    Multi GPU setups on an i7 wipe the floor with a Phenom, twice.
    You can have both SLi and Crossfire on the system.
    I understand it's expensive... but you can't compare apples to oranges here... I'll give you a great example. When GT300 comes out, assuming it's as powerful as wehear it is, I'm sure the i7 will show it is faster because -hopefully- the GPU won't be a major bottleneck anymore.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i don't think the i7 will show any faster in the GT300 series graphics card at all actually, once it, aswell, goes to two GPU's, then it will more then likely, but before then, i do not think so, but only time will tell on that front when the card actually gets released

17. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Intel still owns the performance crown, and that's all I care about.

18. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The resolution scaling of these CPUs is amazing... and they're only a few frames away from the i7 965. If they keep improving the architecture of these CPUs, I might just go back to AMD in a few years' time. :)

19. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    they're only a few frames away from the i7 because there is a gpu bottleneck.
    I'm sure that if the review was based on a tri-sli or quad-sli setup it would tell a different tale.