1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Overclocking Help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ericplatt, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Honestly i would let it be.. 8 hours prime stable is good. If anything. One extra step in vcore should fix it.

2. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Ok! I've been playing BF3 without any problems for a couple of hours now - seems to be pretty good. I'll make note of all my settings - I want to see if maybe I can get 4.0GHz with using the LLC since I never tried it before.

The only thing is I don't know whether or not I would increase or drop the LLC value - I had to drop it to get stability, but would I need to increase it if I increase my clock speed?

Thanks for the reply

3. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    hi ericplatt, after reading the thread and checking the spec of your mb on asus web site i just notice that your have only and 4+1 phase power design and a single 4 pin power connector for the cpu, so you can't expect reaching high frequency with this mobo cause it's not design for oc. But 3.8ghz stable is what you need for a single gpu config, everything around 4ghz is usefull for multi gpu config or a high oc single gpu.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I couldn't care less about Prime95 tbh.

My CPU can run all my games at that speed/voltage without crashing and that's good enough for me. Usually I only have it overclocked to 3700mhz anyway...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Being game stable is nothing... I need like .05Vs less and id still be game stable but instant bsod in p95/ibt..

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I doubt he's even game stable, maybe in solitaire, but that's it.

7. ericplatt

ericplatt Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 580 3GB
    I'm been playing around with voltages and LLC most of the day - I'm have a good few 2-3 hour runs on prime at 4.0 GHz, but I haven't found a configuration that works yet. These were also with high voltages - 1.5V (AIDA64 reports 1.55V on load). I have LLC set to 0% right now, I don't know what else I should try in terms of configurations.. I think my system can handle 4.0GHz but I'm not sure what settings to try. I need the right balance of LLC and core voltage.

This is much further than I've gotten before this, thanks guys!

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah right, have you ever known me to lie about anything before?

Sounds like jealousy to me. No need to act like a douche...

Edit-
    Here - this is an old benchmark I did with 3DMark11. Not 4.2, but still 4.0 at 1.35v...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  9. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Active Member

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    :cheers:

10. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I'm just calling you out on the 4.2 claim because I know it's not possible. 4 at that setting is pretty impressive, I'll admit, but come on now. If 4.2 is perfectly stable at that voltage, why not run it 24/7?

Also, why would I be jealous when I have a 2500K? :3eyes:

My old Phenom 955 C2 was golden as well, it was able to do 3.8 at 1.4V, which is godlike for a C2. Never went any higher as the temps were bollocks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK sure maybe jealous was a bad choice of words on my part, but idk why you're so intent on disbelieving me...

So anyway there are 2 reasons why I don't run it at 4.2...
    First is because I don't want to risk degrading the chip by constantly running it that high unnecessarily, the second is that Cool n Quiet doesn't work if I set the CPU multi higher than 18.5 (3700mhz).

I can get around this by using AMD Overdrive ,but this means I have to enable AOD every time I boot my PC and I can't be assed doing that tbh..

I prefer to have CnQ enabled because I'm a bit anal about having my CPU run at the lowest temps/voltage possible. I only turn it off when benching...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  12. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I'm not really intent on disbelieving, my solitaire comment was humor. I just know Phenom 2's abilities fairly well, and that sort of clock at that voltage...just doesn't seem likely to me. But Ill give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe they improved manufacturing with later C3 models.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep, as you can see here the later revision requires much less voltage...

[​IMG]

14. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    No I know C3's are better. What I mean was that I'm assuming that AMD had the manufacturing process perfected by the time you got yours, as most C3's that I've seen aren't quite that good.

15. oenone

oenone New Member

GPU:
    sapphire 5870
    hi there

im just new here

can i ask for a bios settings i also have a x4 965be procie and an ASUS mobo m4a785

i just want to oc my proc to 3.8ghz

please help me

btw i dont know how to oc.

16. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Member Guru

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    My oc fully stable i render 4 hours video day.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us