AMD Phenom II X4 920 and 940 review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    why do intel fanboi's even read these articles...shh..go away...be at it with you, go to the dark side, do whatever you have to do just go away...i think i have to go wash my hands i feel dirty quoting this guy

2. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Well AMD had to fire back and they did a great job.

3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    However, you are comparing a stock 920 vs an overclocked AMD chip. An i7 at 4.0Ghz would smash the 940. Apples-to-apples my friend.

Of course, I'm just breathing a sigh of relief for knowing that my early adoption of the Core i7 wasn't a bad idea. :)

4. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    God, at least someone agrees with me in this way over-sensitive thread. And there i thought i was the only one grading apples to apples, pears to pears. Timely post m8.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    My guess would just be time constraints. It takes a lot of time to do these types of benchmarks + the GTX295 sli ones he just did as well.

I think most people are taking these benchies the wrong way. Yes the AMD is overclocked, but the setup itself is in an entirely different price range. A decent i7 setup is anywhere from $600-800. For most people with AM2 boards, this is a $280 upgrade that will bring them into the i7 performance range. Even a clock vs clock benchmark wouldn't be a fair comparison as you have an ancient AM2 on DDR2 vs DDR3 on a brand new platform. I think AMD did the right thing here making these compatible with AM2 chips and not just waiting. And I think someone buying a whole new system would find the AMD chips more appealing for performance vs price.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What you guys aren't figuring out is this is an article about an AMD CPU, everyone already knows that an i7 CPU at same clocks kicks down the Phenom II in almost every instance, everyone knows!, so what possible point, could there be to overclocking the Phenom II and I7 to the same speeds? to show...again..that the i7 clock for clock beats the Phenom II? what's the point? there is no point, that would be completely pointless in every way shape or form, if i saw that in this review i'd be like wtf why'd they even do that, that makes absolutely no sense, at all, in any given way, you'd just be doing a review to make people see that "apples to apples" the CPU is not quite there yet

Sure, if it was an i7 review, i'd completely understand then overclocking both the i7 and the Phenom II to the same speeds, that way you can try to get people to like the i7 a lot by seeing you can overclock it and it will still beat ahead of the Phenom II overclocked at the same speeds, but for the purposes of this review, that'd just make it a bash review

As i said, people don't care at all what apples to apples are, people already know that at the same frequencies the i7 predominantly wins over the Phenom II, what people care about is reading, hey, what can i buy this CPU for, how far can i overclock it to, and how well will that overclocked Phenom II do against the cheapest i7, basically, if i buy a AMD CPU for 240 dollars, can i overclock it to perform better/same/close to etc. to a Intel CPU that costs 299.99

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    In BiA, yes, but Warhead and COD 4 still show the Phenom II beating the i7 at stock speeds.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    True, but he could find the performance he did from awhile ago and stick it in there as a comparison between the two "back then", just so we could see some sort of data right next to eachother

9. =NOS=

=NOS= New Member

GPU:
    9800Gx2 700/2300
    Finally

Im happy to see them get over the hurdle,finally. RELIEF,intel should drop prices YEAAA!!!! Im about to get a Nehalem and now the prices should go down alittle THANX AMD!

10. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Hilbert what about Tri-SLI benchmarks, to show CPU limitation as you did with the Core i7?

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Can't do it

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I Think you put end to this discusion with this post ( at least to the argue about OC vs OC benchmarks and smilar stuff :p ).

I think alot ppl expected that AMD will smash Intel with Phenom 2, and will be back on top, i think it was some "common" dream , that didnt come true.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It can be done.
    NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI based AM2+ board that supports Tri-SLI and AM3 cpus too.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I stand corrected.

15. sbrehm72255

sbrehm72255 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic HD4870
    I've more than likely used AMD longer than you, that is until their performance went to total crap.................:banana:

If you want to see how well they stand up to Core 2 Duo's and i7 clock for clock, you might want to read a few more reviews that test them at the same speed..................:wanker:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwNywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

16. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    That was a very informative article, as was Hilberts. These new Phenoms are great for folks who simply want to drop one into an existing AM2+ MB/RAM setup.

If one is going for a totally new build and has the extra $$$, a new i7 is still the way to go.

That being said, before anyone accuses me of being a fanboy, my last two rigs had an Athlon XP3000+ and an Opteron 165 so I've been in the AMD camp from 2002 until just two months ago.

17. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    People need to stop comparing i7 to PII full stop. AMD never even once claimed PII was going to compete with i7, and as such they have been priced to sway people from 45nm Intel Core 2 Quads (Q9450 upwards).

It needs reminding of what PII is, an upgraded form of a current architecture.... Like Penryn was to Kentsfield for Intel. Yes this means AMD is still behind in the tech race (as they were with the original Phenom's), but these are still very good CPU's and even it it puts a tiny dent in Intel then they're heading in the right direction.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD's performance never went to total crap... i think you're mistaking the Pentium 4 as if it was AMD's CPU..., oh and just an fyi, intel fan boi, i never said that the Core 2 Duo's and i7 arn't better, if you read the big post i said that they do, i don't care, Intel, as a company, sucks beyond believe, it's like the devils company, man i have to go take a shower because i responded again, i feel so dirty :( i need to stop

19. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
  20. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Your replies are ridiculous. A person tells you he's been with AMD for years and you call him an Intel fanboy. And whats with all that Intel-phobic behavior? Childhood trauma or something?