AMD Phenom 9600 Multiplier Unlocked?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by jasonmsw, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    2xBFG 8800GTS320 @g615/m1730/s1449
    I have recently brought an AMD Phenom 9600, went straight into my Crosshair mobo with a quick BIOS update, I was looking around on the net and saw that AMD were releasing the "BLACK" edition... I thought I would go into my bios and have a play with the multiplier(scared shirtless to try anything else yet)... I only changed it from 11.5 to 11 but when I went back into windows and ran CPU-Z it said that the multiplier had been changed, is there any other way to be absolutely sure that I can change the multiplier on what I *thought* was a standard 9600? I am a bit new to this but I would love to see just what I can get out of my rig in both terms of pure clock speed and also GFX speeds. Any help on either would be great. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    all amd processors are unlocked downwards, this is how cool and quiet is done...when not using much power, it lowers the multiplier to conserve.

sorry man.

3. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    @Grimsanta. Bummer, you're right, just went in and upped it to 12. CPU-Z says 11.5. Ho-hum. Anyway, this is going to sound like such a noob question, can you point me in the right direction for overclocking the Phenom and also my GFX cards? Thanks again.

4. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP

5. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Cheers M1ckY. I will have a read, then get back to you. Which programs are best for CPU benchmarking? I have 3D MARK 05. SiSoft Sandra. And how would I go about posting screenshots?

6. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Just don't leave vcore on auto, set it to like 1.3 or so and only increase it when you need to. Other than that its pretty straight forward as long as you know what you're doing with your memory. My 9500 does 251x11 stable at 1.325, anything more isn't even with voltage.

7. SS89Goku

SS89Goku Member Guru

GPU:
    8800 GTS 512 (G92)
    The new 9600 BE could almost do 3 GHz when just increasing the multi a bit I heard.

8. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Right. I am EXTREMELY miffed. I think I am going to get hold of AMD and get them to take this bloody CPU back.... since I have installed it I have had numerous BSOD, lock-ups and my sound is very, very choppy. I havent even bothered trying to OC it yet. just left everything at stock. I even re-formatted and re-installed vista thinking it might be some piece of software, but, alas, it still keeps doing it. Ho-hum.

9. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    All current versions of the quad core cpus from AMD has a bug. It can only be fixed with a Bios update...which I head can decrease performance 20%. and they usually dont o/c past 2.4 from what I heard as well due to the bug.

10. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Yeah. so I have heard. I am going to get onto AMD and see if I get a response.... I will let you know the outcome.

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    Buying Phenom CPU right now is not a option, however i think that the new Phenom of 2008 with B3 Revision, will be a great option to consider buying.

12. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    You're gonna love this. I just ran OCCT with everything stock..... reached about 7% and returned an error saying that the system was unstable! Damn AMD! I love AMD processors.. Wish I had waited a little bit longer.......

13. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    OK Just recieved a reply from AMD regarding my Phenom 9600. Here it is in all its glory....

"Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting AMD. In order to see whether there is something wrong with the processor or not, we can issue you an RMA for testing which in that case, we will bring in your processor for testing in our test lab. Once we determine the cause of problem, we will notify you immediately, and if the test passes with no issues, we will also contact you to let you know that you should be looking into researching and looking to your other components to determine whether there is something wrong with them. In order to issue an RMA for testing, you need to call us at 408-749-3060 (Technical Support Center M-Thur 8-5pm and Fridays 8-4pm. Please note that we will need you to have the processor right in front of you when you call so that we can get the Part Number (1st line on processor), Serial Number (Last Line on the processor), Date of Purchase and Location of Purchase and brief description of what has happened and the kind of troubleshooting that you have done.

AMD looks forward to your call. Have a great New Year.

Best Regards,
    AMD Global Customer Care/ Technical Support Center"

Hmmm, does anybody else think "In order to see whether there is something wrong with the processor or not" seems a little strange when they have admitted that there is an issue with the CPU already?

14. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    The answer is actually "NO". If you read up on the big "problem" that needs a bios fix you will find that it is something that will rarely occur. As in you might see the problem a few times in a year. They offer the bios fix for people that run systems that CAN NOT TOLERATE crashing of any type due to hardware problems.

Since this problem will be rare, the average home user/gamer would be better off if they disable this new bios "fix". (In other words the faster system performance is worth a few crashes.)

You'll need to look harder to discover your problem. I would suggest looking at memory timings. Let us know... there are many of us watching the Phenoms.

15. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    myself included. i wouldn't mind getting a Phenom.... but then again..... AMD no longer does SLI.... so i'm kinda boned if i stay AMD.

16. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    AMD no longer does SLI? Explain please?

17. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    AMD now owns ATI.

ATI supports the "Crossfire" method to link GPU. The new AMD 790FX chipset provides support for Crossfire. It has NO SLI SUPPORT.

We'll have to wait for NVidia to provide an AM+ chipset with SLI for the Phenom if we want to use multiple NVidia GPUs using SLI.

(Although the 790FX should work fine with a single NVidia GPU card.)

18. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Ahhh OK. so what about my Crosshair Motherboard? I only just got my rig (approx 3 months ago) and I am not prepared to spend out on new kit just yet. I have always been an Nvidia man as well as an AMD man. Oh and keithlm? I use my PC for a variety of uses, I am not an average home user/gamer. I use it for video conversion/authoring, web design, 3D design, music creation and gaming.... My PC is a workhorse.......

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  19. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Ohh and programming aswell... mainly VB but some C++ when I can be arsed to do it :lol:

20. keithlm

keithlm Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290X LCS
    Guess the big question is whether you had planned on multiple video cards.

Personally I don't think I'll need dual for several years. If ever.