AMD Patents Automatic Memory Overclocking Tool

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by mooney4321, May 21, 2022.

1. mooney4321

mooney4321 Member

GPU:
    2080S Seahawk EK
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Please no!
    Like it isn't enough when they screwed up their Catalyst drivers CPU auto-overclock.

3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    So this tool will attempt to “auto OC” your RAM then, interesting. I didn’t know that could be done outside the BIOS yet.

I wonder how it handles RAM voltage — will it take a user input value for example.

My understanding is that memtest86 has the “best” approach to Ram stability testing since it boots from a thumbdrive/outside windows so I wonder if this tool will restart have the ability to restart the PC and test in the same way or some such.

mooney4321 likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe this will help achieving higher ddr5 frequency.

BlindBison likes this.

5. Why are we overclocking RAM instead of just running it as-fast as it'll run out-the-box? If everyone knows RAM can run at X, why even bother with the low end advertising?

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I've had the experience where if I use cheaper mother boards my RAM doesn't run at the advertised XMP speeds. In such cases it might be useful for people who don't want to take painstaking hours to test each timing/frequency/voltage value/combination with memtest86 and just want an easy one and done solution. Assuming it actually works.

Or, maybe a user can use XMP fine, but want to push the RAM even further (but again don't want to take the painstaking time to manually tune and test it). I'm just wondering if the tool will actually work and provide a stable/safe overclock that also doesn't waste too much overhead unnecessarily.