AMD Overclocking past motherboard limit?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Rangerjr1, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Rangerjr1

Rangerjr1 New Member

GPU:
    ATI XFX HD 5770 1GB
    Hello there. i have somewhat of a CPU overclocking problem, my Motherboard is a ASUS m2a74-am se, and my cpu AMD Athlon II x4 645. i know the limit for ghz on this motherboard is 3.1, or atleast it says so.

so my final question is: do any of you more experienced overclockers know if this limit can be broken? i know i can increase voltage on the motherboard so that is no problem, i would much appreciate some help with this matter.

Thanks in advance - Rangerjr1.

2. Rangerjr1

Rangerjr1 New Member

GPU:
    ATI XFX HD 5770 1GB
    someone?

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The "limit" is not artificially set by the motherboard manufacturer. That is most likely your CPU, RAM and motherboard's physical limits. Thus, you may not be able to overclock it even higher.

Have you tried overvolting? It does increase the chance of blowing up your machine if used improperly, and you do have to have a good cooler. If done correctly, you can reach higher overclocks.

deltatux

4. Rangerjr1

Rangerjr1 New Member

GPU:
    ATI XFX HD 5770 1GB
    i managed to overclock it to 3.4 using the built in Overclock profile option in the bios. so i guess im ok for now :).
    thank you for your reply.

Rangerjr1