AMD: Next Xbox to offer Avatar-like graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

AMD director of ISV relationships Neal Robison claims Microsoft's next Xbox console will be capable of graphics seen in the movie Avatar. Additionally Robison also promises big improvements in artificial...

More...

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nice, will it run at 10fps though?

3. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    670GTX with TT 2 cooler
    Wasn't the picture in HD? so do they mean 1920x1080?

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Lol, cant see that happening at full HD. Not unless the next xbox isnt being released for another 5 or 6 yrs lol!

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Don't expect raytracing at home for another 10 years at least.
    720 will have to be sold fairly cheaply, we won't get supercomputers into our homes anytime soon.

This comment reminds me when N64 should have terminotor 2 level of graphics.

6. Rizzla

Rizzla Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 1GB
    What a ridiculous statement...

7. Bentez

Bentez Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I smell bullsh1t

Its just the hype machine spouting nonsense like it does with every console gen.

After the PS3 build up I swore to never be sucked in again.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    +1

Until I SEE it, then I will believe it, until then it's a no go...

And even if it did, I would still prefer my pc to it anyday, the pc is the ULTMATE machine which can be upgraded over and over again whereas consoles cannot...

9. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Yeah, just like the current generation was supposed to run at 1920x1080 resolution at 60fps and instead we got 960x540 @ 30fps- which they somehow get away with advertising as 720p. I wouldn't complain so much if 4xMSAA was standard so the jaggies wouldn't make my eyes bleed or if the 30fps was sustained instead of dropping to 10 at times. AMD, Sony and Microsoft should try to go one day without lying.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Marketing.

Unless PCs are also capable of performing like Avatar within the upcoming year (assuming the new XBox uses the very latest tech, which it wont anyway), theres no way the next XBox will be near this capable.
    The 360 was a year behind already at its time of release.
    PCs arent even close to doing Avatar quality right now.

Given the power footprint (Watts) of consoles, theres no way the new console will be able to match the PC, even if it can use the same technology.
    TDP and therefore clock speeds will have to be scaled back somewhat to fit within power use specs, at a minimum.

Perhaps what Robison means is that the XBox 720 will be able to play back video with the same quality as Avatar.
    :)

12. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    When it was first announced, the PS2 was said to have graphics on par with Toy Story (or similar at least)....

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wont be for years and years and years, just look at that Unreal demo, 2x 580's in SLi, and they couldn't break 30fps, and that was just a camera panning around some scenes lol, so you can imagine what it would be like if that was a full blown game, it'd be running at about 1 frame a year, so when do you think we'll have the power to run Avatar like gfx games at decent frame-rates :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    At best they will be useing current tech from amd/nvidia if we are lucky! This idiot is trying to piss down our backs and tell us it's raining.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Right what is he smoking? cause I want some it .... For that to happen in CONSOLE said CONSOLE gone need one of them 800$ gpu cards that are Dual or SLI with 1gb + gpu ram , and a CPU that is quad core going at 3.5ghz+ and more then 4 gbs of system ram. And seeing as Console are not gona cost more then 399-599$ imo ever that will not happen.

Again I want what the guy is smoking:banana:

16. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The Samaritan demo was running on tri-sli

17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Actually, my current system meets all of your criteria, and it's not even close to handling Avatar graphics.... :nerd:

I do agree though, this guy is smoking some good stuff! :infinity:

18. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Oh yes,the fables start to build up for the 95% of people who will actually buy this.
    It can render Avatar like quality renders,but at 1 fpy(frame per year).
    This goes beyond anything stated until now for the next gen lol.
    Who knows,maybe you can even become a Na-vi with the new Xbox :)

19. sounar

sounar Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
    Right what is he smoking? cause I want some it .... For that to happen in CONSOLE said CONSOLE gone need one of them 800$ gpu cards that are Dual or SLI with 1gb + gpu ram , and a CPU that is quad core going at 3.5ghz+ and more then 4 gbs of system ram. And seeing as Console are not gona cost more then 399-599$ imo ever that will not happen.

Again I want what the guy is smoking

Well you guys are forgetting that when the PS3 and 360 had debuted on the market, with each sale a console sold, Sony and Microsoft were loosing money by 300-400 hundred dollars since the hardware was expensive to produce back than. They cut even from the negative to positive cash flow mainly on games and more so when production costs dropped lower than the console consumer cost, as it is today. So, an xbox3 or ps4 could easily have video hardware in 2012 that's valued at $600 for the consumer. As a matter of fact the 360 graphics card was far superior than what the computer market had to offer to us back in 2005 and even later on, as it was mainly a supercharged x1900xt but also able to process tessellation alot of other features in-game that came only later to PC games.

20. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    If they mean 1920x1080 at 30FPS, with 2xAA, and 0xAF, with short draw distance STILL...I wouldn't be boasting and bragging...