1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD NAVI would see three video card models, $249 RX 3080 close to RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    If the performance for the "top" Navi card is in the 1080/1080Ti range, and the price magically falls into the $300-350 range, I'll buy. Otherwise, I'll hold out another year..... My GPU performance demands don't change much from year to year anyway. I've been playing the same 5 games for the last 3 years...... I'm pretty sure their GPU performance requirements aren't going to change at this point.

tunejunky, airbud7 and schmidtbag like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    This is, after all, a midrange product. We still may see a "Vega" type 7nm GPU from them.

All in all, personally, I am selling my rig soon as I plan to move, and this will be my most likely build next year. The value proposition of this GPU is phenomenal. Zen 2 (if Navi / Zen 2 related leak is true of course) will be CPU/GPU of choice for MANY.

chispy, -Tj- and Maddness like this.
  3. Frag

Frag New Member

GPU:
    16Gb 2400Mhz
    If true this is the best news I have heard for awhile. Nvidia has simply just run as a monopoly since the 1080ti has launched and as a company with such a performance gap they surely can. This is excellent news for anyone, current card prices are beyond a joke and I look forward to having a competitive product from AMD again, hopefully from Intel too. Not a fan of nvidia as a company and their practices so would like to see their MS ownership eroded!

4. pharma

pharma Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Not very impressive, and why change the naming scheme to be similar to Nvidia? Hopefully these are just rumors and AMD has something better to offer.

BangTail likes this.

5. DG21

DG21 Member

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    Guys, just wait a minute... what did AMD do @Threadripper? they connected ccx-modules via infinifabric, and on ZEN2-TRs, there'll be some kind of integrated chipset. - lets imagine suddenly a '3090' appears with two (or more?) navi-chips connected over some kind of 'on-chip-chipset' for a smart distribution of e.g. 12 or even 16GB GDDR6-memory?

Roughly 300W TDP & 550-600 bucks@ 2080ti-level.... would't that be great? And in terms of Raytraycing - just letz wait, what will materialize. If raytracing is the drug, that's wanted by the user, I'm sure the companies will start to deliver.

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    CPUs and GPUs are quite different beasts. And I'm sure AMD is hoping to get this sort of setup to work, because making several small chips is always cheaper then one big chip - but it has its downsides as well.

Maddness likes this.
  7. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Statements from AMD regarding the current development level of GPUs and Infinity Fabric have indicated that's not currently in the works.

The problem, as far as I understand it, is that while the IF is continuously improving it still introduces some latency and it's enough to make "splicing" GPU cores together as a single big core core setup difficult. You could have multiple discrete GPU core chiplets of course but that'd effectively just be single-package multi-GPU and given how poor support is for SLI/CrossFire/DX12 multi-adapter currently it's not a solution that makes sense for gaming (though it might be a good fit for different kinds of workstation-related GPU tasks).

It may well be that the technology advances to make that possible eventually, I have no doubt that's the goal of industry players overall and AMD in particular, but we should probably not expect such a solution in the near future.

Maddness likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    actually I.F. and "chiplet" gpu design are roadmapped for 2019 by AMD. there have been ES's with both "Vega" and "Navi" cores.

as you probably already figured, not-ready-for-primetime. and yes latency doomed 1st go-around w/Vega. the advancement in I.F. seen w/ Epyc has gotten rid of the interpolator lag, but issues with the central "controller(s)" afaik, are ongoing but resolvable in the short term (i.e. under two years).

Exodite likes this.
  9. Jayp

Jayp Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    No, I don't click hyperlinked text like that or bother to inspect it. But its great that you used the same article and gathered a different thought from it by only reading one line.

You missed the point in the article you even shared yourself. You dug for something that supported your idea. The point is that the water cooled Fury X, the only way that GPU comes, beats a Reference 980 Ti air cooled by 4%, not board partner cards. Not many people even owned a reference card and also had the option of getting an aftermarket one for same price. Fury X doesn't beat a board partner card by 4%. No one is talking about overclock results from launch actually. 2017 results are right in the very article that you referenced. 980 Ti reference went from 4% under a stock Fury X to passing an OC Fury X by 11%. Two years later, overclocking 980 Ti still holds strong results I guess we will have to see in 2020. Turns out Nvidia GPU owners often overclock and if they still have a 980 Ti and it is not overclocked they are missing out. Their overclock in the article was also on, again, a reference card. AMD was the same thing then as now too power hungry and hot. AMD does have strong DX12 performance since they were involved with the development of it. Most games are still DX11 anyways or at least have an async off DX12 off mode.

For the record I would love to see AMD make a top tier card so I can switch from Nvidia again for a bit. Guess I will just keep waiting.

Anyways, if you think that a 4% lead is enough to even be a difference and makes for "fine wine" evidence more power to ya I guess. I hope you don't provide evidence for anything important. I will wait for more evidence of fine wine...

10. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    There's no reason to be difficult.

The Fury X "Reference" always was a water-cooled AIO card as I understood it. What I was trying to relay was the baseline of "Reference" Fury X at launch (Anandtech benched 980ti vs it) was under the 980 TI's performance. Reference vs Reference. The article we were both reading concluded on its final page that a Reference Fury X vs a Reference 980 TI in 2017 was now 4% faster at Reference (meaning stock clocks & settings no OC's) all that implies is that AMD's software improved slowly over time - that's the reasoning of my logic on those articles as it were, that's all I was trying to ... relay is it were - the OC subject muddled and confused it I think. OC didn't have anything to do with my point. I don't understand why you're mentioning it I was trying to explain how it's irrelevant to the issue at hand.

*Sigh* I've always felt that people whom react emotionally like this know they're on the end of a losing argument and have to resort to baseless attempts of ad hominem cracks' - Good luck with that buddy'

schmidtbag and Evildead666 like this.

11. Jayp

Jayp Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    But where is that evidence of fine wine? You resort to statements like above because you're out of evidence lol. Emotionally? Merely said I hope you don't provide evidence for anything since the information you leaned on didn't shed much light on the claim. I haven't come at you emotionally. I am a fact seeker and there is one solid case of fine wine for AMD I mentioned it and that's about it. Way to back out of your statement by trying to shed some kind of light on me lol. Love when people make claims but have no backing.

pharma likes this.
  12. george1976

george1976 Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    Ohh mate where was you for the past year or so? Space?

Venix and Picolete like this.
  13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    I've lived fine wine.
    It was very small, a few percent, but AMD always add stuff to successive drivers.
    If I wasnt spending so much time driving trucks and trailers around in GTA V, I might get past more than the first mission :) 1 percent and like 60 to 100 hours in...

14. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    Yeah well tough tits buddy today you won't get your "facts" I guess lol??? I said what I could and said some more and now I feel this is going no where / hijacking the thread.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Well, you pointed finger on R9-290(x) as example of FW(tm). And then say that HD 7000 did not live to it?
    I had 1st batch HD 7970. I bought it after initial review done by Hilbert here. Within 1 month that card's performance went up by 20%. Then it got another big boost for all types of workloads with 12.11 drivers. If there is card showcasing great improvements over initial release performance, that would be one. And on top of driver improvements people overclocked it easily from 925 to 1050 MHz and more.
    Then you have Fury X which had similar launch situation and again its performance improved greatly over initial release performance. Secondly, it could (and was) overclocked by many people and delivered good results. (Mine did well above most of others. I actually held some records in compute benchmarks.) But you are right that GTX 980 Ti has been overclocked very often, because anyone without basic knowledge of OC can do it.

In other words, someone buying those GPUs based on initial benchmarks lived FineWine (tm) to fullest. Why? Because when you buy something, you do consider value delivered by given thing at time of purchase as good for price. And then actual value of those cards went up.

Evildead666, Maddness and Picolete like this.

16. Celcius

Celcius Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    Probably chose not to go with the RX 600 moniker due to the fact that this isn't Polaris, and they don't want anyone to think it might be. Also, a 3000-series scheme lines up nicely with the upcoming Ryzen 2 CPU nomenclature. Personally, I'm skeptical regarding the proposed prices, not the proposed performance. Or, at least, if there is a reference 3080 briefly released at $249 USD, I fully expect the AIB partners to ask an additional $30~$40 for their versions, and the reference model will go bye-bye.

Show of hands, please. How many want to see AMD produce a competitive product only because they'll then, presumably, be able to buy a less-expensive Nvidia card? Not criticizing, just curious.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    Well, if supposed performance puts it in league with the 2070 - and if priced around $299 - I doubt Nvidia would bring the 2070 price down to match it. Even if they did, would still go for the AMD card. Just to give Nv the middle finger for thinking they can jerk us around or view us as desperate gamer-crack-addicts who will pay anything for a GPU embellished with new tech that we should drool for. What good at RT is a 2070 anyway, a virtually useless feature this card that is beyond its capability.

Undying likes this.
  18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    While I think the prices are optimistically low, if they can make a 7nm 75W ~RX 580 GPU that is something I would love to have in a secondary computer. RX 580 performance with no extra power required could be the next 750Ti sort of GPU.

P.S. I've purchased 7 ATI, 2 AMD and 2 NV GPU's in my years as a tech enthusiast.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    first of all he takes other work and twist's it his way the amd way no matter what,its very easy now to hate NVidia
    red flag
    secondly amd is without fail
    and last red flag.
    not to mention his opinionated drivel nv sucks at this look
    nv is doing rdf is so fake blah blah blah
    like a jilted ex-boyfriend
    I told him the same
    you must be as biased as him if you cant see that/
    he has hype train money

ot hope they manage to fit a few cores under the heat spreader like ryzn some how.
    but something tells me they will cost the same as the other company like when vega launched

pharma likes this.
  20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    I'm done hyping AMD GPU, wait and see.

Jayp likes this.