1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD NAVI would see three video card models, $249 RX 3080 close to RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

1. Mr_Twinky

Mr_Twinky New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega56
    What's wrong with you people. ( The ones saying is 15% the best AMD can do) These Navi cards aren't the TOP END CARDS, These are AMD's new mid range cards, The bottom of the mid range barrel is matching of top of the old mid range.
    The TOP END card hasn't even been leaked yet.

Maddness and Silva like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX
    Watched a HU top 5 GPU's to buy late 2018. AMD is winning at 100$/200$/300$ while nvidia is winning at 400$/500$+. Looks like plan is to keep it that way even in 2019.

We should be happy if we could get a 2070 performance at 250$.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    the guy at addoof is an asshole scumbag
    he was going around saying how Polaris was fast highend he is way wrong now
    and for the one's who suck his ass save it suckers
    red bs train

BangTail likes this.
  4. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    that naming ... IF those are true the navi would be a killer and looking forward for the high end navi implementation ,back to the naming .... if they do that they are going to troll nvidia too as they trolled intel with their chipset naming ? so we will have RX 3060 RX3070 RX 3080 ....and then from nvidia RTX 2060 RTX2070 RTX 2080 ....if you see that someone clueless might even think they are the same thing so better get the 3 series cause it sounds ... newer ... and i repeat that's only IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIF the rumor is true and thats a big IF

i remember what a bomb the 4850 and 4870 was ! the 4870 was 199 msrp and was with in 5% of the double+ priced gtx 280 also while it was cooler and was consuming less !

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 3:11 PM
    carnivore and schmidtbag like this.

5. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    AdoredTV does meticulous research, judges the credibility of each clue, puts those together in the most logical sense, develops the big picture, and presents these most likely conclusions in a smooth, reasoned and detailed manner with every reference identified. Free. You reward this outstanding analytical effort with obscenities.

I'm not impressed, but feel free to start a blog with your further technical insights - somewhere else, far away from here, please.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    Celcius and Silva like this.
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Meh - all he does is read a bunch of stuff off other articles, removes anything that doesn't support his opinion and makes a video about it. He's often straight up wrong in his predictions - he was completely wrong about Vega/Pascal for multiple different reasons. His older GameWorks videos were practically all incorrect. His "Conlake Returns" video was filled with bad info including calling out tweakers for getting their review sample from Intel when Intel doesn't even supply samples to the netherlands and their sample wasn't even good anyway. He always stirs a crap ton of drama along with his fans that follow him like he's god gift to analysis or something. Also he tells people to kill themselves:

https://i.imgur.com/npf7nw4.png
    https://archive.fo/Y0EAa/a777d5ef0016b1b37f33bc58d8b9e119eb51ae08.png

Which isn't cool.

I don't know if I'd call him an "asshole scumbag" but I definitely don't think he adds much real analysis to discussions and often just propagates rumors/conspiracy theories that he backs with cherry picked information.

BangTail likes this.
  7. Evildead666

Evildead666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    Maybe they are trying to get Nvidia to lower their prices by a Lot, by making it look like their prices will be very cheap ?
    Marketing can be a useful tool :)

Silva likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As far as I'm concerned, you can't legally own a number like that. This isn't the first time AMD pulled this crap with naming schemes. For example, the performance tiers with Ryzen, and how they one-upped Intel with their chipset naming schemes.

I'm shocked it took 4 pages for someone to point all of this out. I came here to say pretty much the same exact things.

I really want AMD to succeed but they seriously need to stop having their marketing mooch off of the success of their competitors. All it does is confuse consumers.

Venix likes this.
  9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega64EKWB 240PP12V
    I expect AMD to release a driver next year that allows all their current GPU lineup to do some sort of Ray-Tracing, just with the perf hit that comes with it.

Maddness and tunejunky like this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    it's really funny to see some of the comments having more to do with what people say than what AMD says.
    this was never pitched as a high end gpu. the fact that the architecture can support higher end models (due to scalability of design) later is ignored because people who wouldn't buy anyways are looking down their nose.

i want to remind people of Sutton's Law; when Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks he said "because that's where the money is".
    likewise that is why Navi is designed as a mid-market card at the low end of the market price(s).
    furthermore, due to a little thing called physics, the (gpu) yields at fabs (which was already high for AMD) increase another 40(ish)%, while the gpus themselves rise in efficiency and frequency.

Nvidia makes the big $$$ with the RTX series (and 1070 and above for GTX), while suffering tiny margins below the 1060. AMD's first job under Lisa Su was increasing the yield of all of their products at the fab end.

AMD can sell their gpus for the equivalent of chicken feed and make money, Nvidia cannot (yet).
    as far as the alleged Navi models, i believe the majority of the information to be correct from what i hear around town. i look askance at ddr6, even though that would make technical sense, just due to pricing...but Micron is across town (literally) from AMD, at least the engineers and sales are...but then again, so is Nvidia lol.
    i would add $25 to $35 to all of the prices noted in the "leak".

and ... better late than never, Nvidia has a production contract @7nm with TSMC.
    look for a Turing refresh @ 7nm (where it was designed to be made) announced during 3rd quarter 2019 with release 4th quarter or quarter 1 2020.

carnivore and Embra like this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Did you just state that if Asia was fully included GTX 1080Ti would go from ~2% to 10~15%?

Are you joking?
    Well, 2 things did happen. GPP with its: "Stupid people would not know difference between AMD and nVidia" as fake excuse.
    And nVidia renaming GTX to RTX which is this close to RX.

I think that nVidia would actually get what they did ask for... They would get trolled.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 4:12 PM
  12. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    was the first thing that came to mind but i actually find it a bit funny , to be honest i do not really mind that much even if they are named exactly the same i know how to separate em and what to recommend to people when i am asked .... and even if their name is crystal clear witch is witch .... non tech savy people will still be at the mercy of the computer store seller ...sadly

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    look folks, tit-for-tat naming schemes have been with us since the birth of marketing (N.Y.C. 1880's).

Dr. Pepper took the Cocaine from Coca-Cola, increased the dosage, then put "10-12-4" with a clockface on their bottles. Pepsi Cola added Caffeine instead (which the others followed after prohibition).

After Henry Ford said "you can have any color you want as long as it's black", G.M. became a behemoth offering four colors and a range of cars beyond the Model T.

BMW designed the 2002 back at the end of the 1960's, by the 1980's almost all compact cars looked like a 2002 clone (or VW rabbit/polo clone).

IF AMD goes with 3000's for RX it will be to match the 3000's on Ryzen, with only a small poke at Nvidia, except to enthusiasts.

14. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    These are the starter-mid range cards, the performance increase may be off a few percent or so but it's still good compared to previous per watt. Price is in lue with what I'd heard previously as well. Albeit hard to believe but possible if AMD wants to start a GPU war with NVIDIA in 2019. Not sure how much stock they have of current gen yet to be sold (probably low-to-near considering these prices)

Word on the street is the High-end Navi has been getting pushed back for some time due to development delays - now Q4 2019 release.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:19 PM
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070 / gtx 1080ti
    new word...Apple and Qualcomm are cutting back production @ 7nm.
    Navi was pushed back because of mistaken belief of the popularity of the Iphone Xs, Xs Max, and Samsung 9 series. Samsung's exynos chip (7nm) has real issues, can't match TSMC performance, won't be sold in the U.S., only the TSMC (Qualcomm) chip version will..

Navi is back on track production will be ramped up and availability far more broad.

K.S. likes this.

16. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    Thanks'

tunejunky likes this.
  17. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    Why people believe hopelessly that there will be any higher end Navi? Any source? All known chips for both pc and consoles are middle class.

18. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Member

GPU:
    Zotac AMPX 1080 Ti
    I wonder how the sales are going for the new RTX line of cards. I typically buy a new card each gen, but the prices are making me skip this gen. Wonder how many folks are doing the same and what impact that is having on their sales. I understand not everyone buys or cares about the top dog consumer cards, but I would love to see AMD make a decent impact in the high end segment to stop these inflated prices.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There's a real big difference between "tit-for-tat" vs "tat-for-tat". In each of those examples you gave, it was a company making a move out of spite against their competitor, or to be flippant. It wasn't misleading to consumers, but for them to realize it's a jab against the competition.

What AMD is doing here is just shady and deliberately confusing, while being an inconvenience to Nvidia's marketing department. Instead of doing the logical next step of the RX 600 series, they're mimicking the number scheme of the more successful product lineup. Despite the fact there's no logical reason to move from 600 to 3000 (especially considering the architecture isn't that different from last-gen), this is no accident. For most consumers, higher=better. Uninformed consumers will say "why would I get an RTX 2070 when I could get the RX 3070?" and then Nvidia's marketing gets complicated when it comes time to release the RTX 3000 series.

Meanwhile for enthusiasts, it just gets cumbersome. You have to say more letters/numbers just to distinguish which product you're referring to. Sure, it's not a big deal, but even Youtubers have made mistakes over which product they were trying to refer to.

If Navi ends up being a good product (which I think it will be, because such a number scheme implies the product must be directly competitive) then AMD shouldn't have to go for such a low-blow.

I do agree with your point about GPP. I see your point about RTX but I don't agree with that. Why would Nvidia want to copy AMD? They went with "RTX" to distinguish ray tracing as the selling point, and they've always used the X suffix to designate their high-end hardware. What else were they going to do? I'm sure somewhere down the road they might implement RT cores for mid-range models, where we might see something like the "RT 5600", at which point isn't related to AMD's naming scheme.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM
    Maddness and Fox2232 like this.
  20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    If you care so much about naming schemes, AMD should go back to their HD series when they where still ATI. R(X) naming was hopeless. Never liked it personally.

tunejunky likes this.