1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD NAVI would see three video card models, $249 RX 3080 close to RTX 2070

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

1. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I think this entire article is fantasy. Not only is there no way a card performing as well as the rtx 2070 would be priced anywhere near $250, i'm also quite sure nVidia has the 3070, 3080 product names already legally theirs.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I don't know what's not to get about people complaining... if you've got a GPU that's already as powerful as what's announced for 2019, it's easy to be disappointed from the perspective of a buyer.
    Sure, technology advances, and AMD does a great job at it (better than team blue or green at this point), but besides being nodded off as a good improvement, there's little to be anxious about.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I bet this whole rumour is straight out of some troll's hat, and that's it. The performance might be realistic, assuming AMD succeeded 100% at their R&D (when keeping in mind Navi, at least at first, is supposed to be purely mainstream, not enthusiast), but the prices are totally unrealistic. The cost of 8GB of GDDR6 would already make up too large of a fraction of those prices. I very much agree with alanm on that.

It's my understanding that you can't trademark series of numbers. That's why, ages ago, Intel invented names like Pentium, because things like 286, 386, 486 couldn't be trademarked.

4. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    Take a look at the price. Vega 64 performance for 250$/Euros and RX580 power consumption is great. If the rumors are true, i can't wait to pick up a 3080 to replace my 1070Ti and finally use the Freesync feature my monitor has.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    Venix and Silva like this.

5. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil 8GB
    So by the looks of it the RX 3080 will be the replacement for RX580 and be 15% faster than Vega 64... That’s a massive gain of performance for the midrange GPU. Nvidia will be forced to sell the RTX2060 for a similar price. I wonder what the High end will hold???

6. BReal85

BReal85 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 270X DC2 TOP

Buyers of a 1080Ti and 2080Ti are negligible fraction of the gamers. Most of them use RX560-580, GTX 1050-1060 cards. Making a chip equal to a 2070-1080 for half the price (and 35% cheaper than a 1070) would be ridiculously good - yet seems unbelievable to me. We will have to wait and see.
    They will have a high end card too, i guess.

7. oxidized

oxidized Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    No? AMD NEEDS something to compete to higher end, because competing in low to mid, they've already done that, and that's basically the only thing they keep doing, vega 56 was ok, but 64 was utter s*** and prices spiked just after launch, making it a even worse purchase compared to 1080 or 1080Ti (since at some point the 64 was just slightly cheaper than 1080Ti in most countries).
    So again, AMD needs to come back again with high end models, because they have no market there, and that's not good at all.

Anyway this is 99% BS, just like the ryzen 3000 leak.

8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    You mention a $500 high-end max performance CPU and a cheap mid-range GPU in the same sentence, and you don't get why we're complaining?
    Someone that buys a 16 core 5 GHz CPU is not content with some $250 mid-range GPU.

AMD has been trying to compete in the value segment for years, because thats all they could do, and it has not worked for them. The gains shown in this leak are "expected" from a 7nm shrink, and not magically awesome. If NVIDIA wants to counter that, they just have to lower prices, or release 7nm mid-range GPUs in 2019.

They have to compete in the top end because that makes for good marketing, and competition on the full spectrum also ensures decent price structure for the entire spectrum. If there is a huge jump in price above the cheap mid-range GPUs AMD has to offer, thats still terrible for everyone. Therefor, it would be very sad if they cannot figure out how to build a performance GPU.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 11:46 AM
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    It would be a massive development that would upend the GPU market. Nvidia would be screwed. The RTX series probably make up less than 1-2% of the GPU market, and with 1080ti no longer available, AMDs new cards would put them up front for the remaining 90% of the market.

Of course Nvidia will have to respond. They may likely have to reintroduce GTX cards (separately from RTX) that can go up against AMD on a competitive basis.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    Why should they care about 1-2% of the market? Its not where the money is.

carnivore, Ridiric, Silva and 3 others like this.

11. msotirov

msotirov Member

GPU:
    rx 480
    Did you see the prices on these cards? You are not in their target market. Price-insensitive gamers who want the absolute maximum performance are a small minority. For most of the world even an RX580 is "top range" and something like a 2070-80 is the stuff of dreams only.

12. chrislondon

chrislondon New Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Sure, nice performance at $250 if true, but it is slower than what I bought 17 months ago, so it is quite hard to care.

The OG 1080 was released almost 3 years ago, and Navi barely beats it. Very-very late to the party.

On the other hand if they could put 2 of these on a card like back in the old days, and this could get interesting.

13. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I m playing world of wordcraft at 100fps most of the time, at 1080p with an old gtx 770 4gb.
    There are tons of people that game at 1080p and that bought a 1060 6gb very expensive and that would maybe do a little upgrade.

Competing on high end if you do not have the right product is useless, and also you cannot stay too much time without pushing out something or people will forget about you.

This navi is a welcome thing, and there is still crossfire eventually.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yes, I know I'm not necessarily in AMD's focus group. Makes it only easier to think AMD's offerings as what they are, good, but not for everybody it's the holy grail. Also, I was referring to @Noufel 's post, where he exactly seems to have a hard time to acknowledge what you say (and the truth in it).

15. dizzin9

dizzin9 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Haha I love it! AMD going in dry!

16. oxidized

oxidized Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    I'm not saying they need to release something to compete with the next Titan, i'm saying they need release something to compete with 2080/2080Ti, at least as fast as 2080, and possibly not far from 2080Ti, and that's not 1-2% it's 10-15% of the market actually.

17. Brit90

Brit90 Active Member

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    This all sounds a little sceptical to me.
    The name of the cards 3060 3070 3080 really?
    Somehow just doesn't ring true

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    Links to backup your claim? The 1080ti which has been in circulation for a couple years is less than 2%.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

tunejunky and Silva like this.
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070 AMP!
    Forget the name of the cards. Doubt that aspect of it is true.

20. m4dn355

m4dn355 Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
    Zen 2 + Navi = Gamer's dream