1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD NAVI Radeon 5700 Product Announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can't misuse it if you share the performance results of both api's in a multi-api game.

But it is a misuse to share vulkan vs d3d11 since vulkan is far higher grained for multithreading vs dx11 which is mostly hacked in.

Maddness likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Till it says same thing as if they gave you actual numbers.

AMD had in given game more fps with Vulkan therefore leveraged properly that what you stated.
    While nVidia performed better on DX11 which means that potential of Vulkan went to toilet in that game.

So to sort it up for you.

nv-Vulk < nV-DX11
    AMD-DX11 < AMD-Vulk
    nV-DX11 << AMD-Vulk

Resulting in one of following:
    nv-Vulk < nV-DX11 < AMD-DX11 < AMD-Vulk
    nv-Vulk < AMD-DX11 < nV-DX11 < AMD-Vulk

Situation is simple:
    - nV-Vulk loses
    - AMD-Vulk wins
    - AMD-DX11 vs. nV-DX11 is uncertain, but it does not matter because user is not going to use AMD-DX11 in this case. Same thing applies to user not using nv-Vulk as it is bottom feeder

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    carnivore and thesebastian like this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its classic cherry picking.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    AMD did not put on spotlight Metro Exodus where they state 15% fps advantage, nor did they put there BF5 where they state 22% advantage.
    (Who sponsored those games and has specific tech there?)
    Nor did they put there Witcher 3 where one used to be better off with nVidia's HW in same price range.

OnnA likes this.

5. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 6G Armor
    Well, the first slide claims 256 texture units for both, article says otherwise so I'd take all of this with a saltshaker.

Cards in pictures have 2x8pin PCIe connectors so that alone is 300W + 75W from the board...yea...a "bit" of overkill for ~220W board right?

6. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 Ti FE
    Can you still Cross fire AMD cards?

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Error either on AMD's side. Or @Hilbert Hagedoorn accidentally put there fake "leak" slide.
    Either way one thing remains (superficially) same as with GCN: 4TMUs per CU or to be more specific 8TMUs per Dual-CU.

8. Michal Turlik 21

Michal Turlik 21 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 1080
    It is unbelievable...but that's the truth...three years old graphics cards like the gtx 1080 and 1080ti can still battle again a brand new 7nm navi 5700 xt/pro.
    There are people around claiming that AMD is making products to address their customers needs at a reasonable price.
    The question is: are we sure that we need such crappy, ehm useless, ehm good hardware? And I am not referring to AMD only, same story goes for the RTX garbage.
    People, hurry up! Go and buy one of those 5700's ...do it now cause within 3/4 months you could not as the new 5800 one will start to replace the oldies.

9. SniperX

SniperX Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke OC
    Wait for NAVI they said....

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i'd rather have seen numbers from dx samples that demonstrate the hardware agnostic improvements.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’m curious on how well the regular RX5700 will overclock on a 3rd party cooler like STRIX or MSI twin-frozer? The price of the XT is too high for its performance but the regular 5700 looks nice.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn can do it for us. Maybe good old draw calls test from "Futuremark". Some set of high polygon throughput test. And so on.
    But E3 is gaming show. It is rather unrealistic to expect AMD show rough throughput numbers.
    As of what we can expect: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...d-tests-mods-bios-tweaks.427125/#post-5679209
    (Please do not spam that thread with meaningless arguments. If you have question, ask them here, where thousands of people will not remember you for making worthless spamy 1st page comment in thread which is going to be used and referred for years.)

13. darkdrone48

darkdrone48 Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    I'll wait and see what the aftermarket manufactures do,the power requirements are disappointing,but so far i see no need to upgrade my 1070,if it comes out at 600$ AUD then maybe,but it might force Nvidia to drop their prices....i can wait

14. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    What worries me most for the competition ( despite always using Nvidia cards ) is when Nvidia will start using 7nm node. The AMD fanbase will be shortlived.

Also, let's imagine an RTX2060 at 250$. +2GB VRAM, a bit faster and cheaper. If Nvidia has the balls to do this, already grim the situation for AMD. And it's not even 7nm node while already more power efficient. What's that Φuckin' thing with AMD and non-power efficient cards -I would never understand it. Yeah, R&D.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nvidia will not be using 7nm till 2020 (likely mid to late) so AMD gets a year with it first unlike 28nm. Technically longer because RVII is 7nm but its just a die shrunk Vega for all-intents-and-purpose.

The thing I'm interested to see is if there is if Navi is scale-able beyond 40CU unlike Polaris.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Nobody is especially impressed by the results, but, if you're going to compare a last-gen flagship to a next-gen mid-range, you can tell any story you want...
    For the most part, they are. Navi is a little overpriced, but, there is a demand for it. Just because you don't like it, that doesn't mean other people don't. Based on your attitude, it's pretty clear that you wouldn't have ever wanted it in the first place.

I feel like people over-hype node size way too much. We're not in the days where we're shaving off ~30nm at a time anymore. Navi is a clear example of how going to 7nm didn't really improve much at all. It is definitely better, but I'm sure the vast majority of the performance improvement is in the changes to RDNA. And yet here people are acting all surprised about the power consumption and minimal performance increase, as though going to 7nm was going to somehow create this black and white difference.

I'm sure Nvidia held off 7nm for Turing because it'd have been more expensive for them (and in turn, the consumer) with a very minimal improvement. Whenever Nvidia gets to 7nm, people are going to be like "oooh AMD is screwed" but unless Nvidia revamps their architecture like they did with Pascal, the difference isn't going to be all that amazing.

HandR and alanm like this.
  17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    The pictures show 1x8 + 1x6 pin power connectors.

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    Hype? Same or more power with less watts needed or when the power is far greater same wattage? Is this a joke? At least for Nvidia Cards.

I would give my shite for an RTX or GTX 3060 card at 7nm node, 8GB VRAM and one 6pin cable at around 350$. And being 10 series owner, I can wait at least for the first 4 months of 2020.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I said over hype. There is some warranted hype...
    There is an improvement, it's just not the magical improvement everyone, for whatever reason, is expecting/demanding.

cowie likes this.
  20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    pretty sure you put 3 screens in front of you and have a v64 navi and 2070 run each there would be no difference.
    the cards run well above acceptable frame rate at that rez already
    I think we want too much from new launches and really for what?
    maybe in 6 months these cards will be cheaper

and don't forget doush rocket and his hype bs

Graphics card Compute units Performance comparison TDP Price
    RX 3080 XT 56 RTX 2070 190w $330 :eek:
    RX 3080 52 Vega 64 + 10% 175w $280 o_O
    RX 3070 XT 48 Vega 64 160w $250 :confused:
    RX 3070 40 Vega 56 130w $200 :oops:
    RX 3060 32 RX 580 75w $140 :D

that bs does amd a disservice
    its like mom said pizza for dinner but brings you broccoli
    still I wait

waltc3 and Loophole35 like this.