1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD NAVI Radeon 5700 Product Announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Maybe poor UPS unit or referring to the 2080ti. If 2080 drew 260w at stock, it would have been quickly spotted by reviewers and youtubers. A random redditor is far from evidence of any sort.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    or they do it for immeasurable moments very rarely but enough for a ups or psu to catch and power off.

the 2080ti has been noticed to draw 400w for 1ms in some cases.

3. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Power draw arguments and complaints are always silly in these forums considering that most people here are running overclocked hardware that's already power hungry to begin with.

Venix and carnivore like this.
  4. Mpampis

Mpampis Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 8GB
    Why do people keep saying prices are terrible?
    The RX 5700 XT is about to go against the RTX 2070, while being cheaper and performing a bit better (in theory).
    Why price it lower at launch? So that we'll say that AMD loves us, while nVidia only wants our money?
    AMD probably pushes their margin as high as the market allows, nVidia will probably lower their prices after releasing the "Super" line, and AMD will readjust their prices closer to what the non-Super nVidia cards will cost.

As for the power draw, 20W more aren't that difficult to cool, and will cost you about 7$ a year on your bill, the power efficiency talk is getting way out of scale.

Venix likes this.

5. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    @Mpampis i agree with every point you made , but the complaints about the price is justified if you go back on the rtx lineup release threads you would see that almost nobody here liked the pricejump on every tier .....or better say the price leap! Amd comming out with a gpu that has slightly improved price/performance ratio than the terrible ratio rtx has .... Is not something we will not complain about! After all a slightly less terrible is still terrible!

mohiuddin likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    If 2070 came with performance/price ratio of 5700 XT, people would not complain nowhere near as much as they did. Yes, time did pass and people should expect better. But for AMD, nVidia is fixed point around which they work.

What would be reason to smash pricing from start? Why would AMD intentionally undervalue their new product? Mindshare will not change. Look at all those people with 1060 vs RX-580. One can even expect that that GTX 1650 4G will have higher percentage in steam stats than better and cheaper RX-570 8G, or even much cheaper 4G version. Where RX 570 4/8G together has peak at 0.45%.

It is quite difference to see RX-580 with 1.25% and GTX 1060 having 16%.
    = = = =
    As long as people do not care about value GPU provides, AMD does not have reason to undercut nVidia.

Mpampis and carnivore like this.
  7. Mpampis

Mpampis Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 8GB
    @Venix I do agree that the cards are expensive (I remember when I got my HD 4850 for 80€), but the discrete GPU market prices are actually set by nVidia.
    @Fox2232 does make a valid point. When it comes to the GPU market, mindshare is difficult to change. AMD fanboys looking to upgrade will buy it, nVidia fanboys won't. Those who have a 500$ budget and haven't decided have no reason to prefer the RTX 2070. The rest of us will simply wait for prices to drop.
    Also, please bear in mind that AMD's target these days is the CPU market. That's why there are many new Ryzen SKUs and only 2 GPUs.
    And lets not forget that although Navi cards are supposed to be midrange GPUs, they are way faster than, let's say, my RX 480, which did cost more than 300€ when launched (before the Bitcoin craze that is).
    Since I'm thinking of upgrading, I'll wait for the 5700 prices to drop below 330€ (or the XT to drop below 380€) and probably get one. If that takes too long, I'll wait and see what AMD has to offer in 2020.

carnivore, Venix and Fox2232 like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I would be surprised if AMD stick to their announced Navi prices for long. Given the sour reception RTX cards had at launch, AMD have a golden opportunity to really shake things up and claw back some market share if they were to reduce prices just by a mere $50. Sadly, AMD doesnt seem to realize this and have a habit of poorly handling product launches. A $399 XT and $329 5700 could really impress reviewers at launch day. I hope someone in management recognizes this and and capitalizes on this opportunity before its too late.

Jagman and Loophole35 like this.
  9. kings

kings Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Yeah, this double standards is getting out of hand!

Nvidia introduces the RTX 2060 at $349 and half the internet has a meltdown. "A mid-end card shouldn't cost more than $250, what a greedy basterds".

AMD introduces the RX5700 six months later at $379, "oh, look, what a lovely mid-end card, greetings to AMD".

I guess people only see what they want to see!

Venix likes this.
  10. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Haha, no. Already countered by RTX 2060 and 2060 Super.

AMD are forced to lower Navi prices instantly to be competitive.

Nvidia is not even trying at this point.

11. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    @Mpampis i remember very well the Rx 480 4gb came out with msrp of 199usd and 239usd for the 8gb price was the marketing of amd at the time that they brought vr gaming entrance to 199 usd
    and yes sadly yes they are and i do not like em at all from both camps !
    @Fox2232 well is kind of known that so many want to amd to bring killer cards so they can buy nvidia cheaper witch is sad ... the rx 470/480 -570/580 outside of the mining craze where criminally neglected and seeing the 1050ti selling like hot cake on 250 ... is just sad

carnivore, Jagman, Mpampis and 2 others like this.
  12. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    So... No custom cards for several months after release.. Hmm
    Not sure why they keep insisting on those terrible blower designs

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Link to that being confirmed? I speculated that considering the previous AMD launches but hadn't seen it stated anywhere. I see August but that is only one month after launch.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Can't remember where I read it, they claimed custom cards in August at the earliest.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I've seen August but again that is only a month after release on the 7th of July (likely paper with stock not hitting shelves till a week later).

airbud7 and las like this.

16. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    AMD made a huge mistake with this launch. They should have shown the RX 5700XT at 349, and the RX 5700 at 299. They just got too greedy. They do not have the mindshare to pull off selling these at their current launch prices. An aftermarket 5700XT is going to end up costing 500 US. People will just not buy them. They should have used common sense here. The RTX cards have sold poorly, due to their rip off prices. AMD has no mindshare in the GPU market, yet they try and go full blast in pricing by charging 450 US for a stock 5700 XT. It is just another overpriced midrange card, just like the RTX 2070 is. Prices from both sides is appalling, and this garbage pricing across all skus needs to stop.

17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Still playing the catching up , I hope the they will bring something exciting out in my lifetime , it has been bit underwhelming in the graphics cards industry lately .

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I like navi already
    rumored price "fixing"
    super cards what ever they are
    getting better I think

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Show me historically when was it last time AMD gained market share by undercutting nVidia. 3 years ago AMD launched Polaris. I do not see any great improvement in their market share since then.
    Having faster product at lower price did not work... Doing same thing and expecting different results...
    Who do you have them for?

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its been a long time, but HD4850 ($199) and 4870 ($299) back in 2008 certainly helped them get a bump in market share. These cards arrived only within a month of Nvidias expensive GTX 280 and 260 cards that were priced at $650 and $450. Nvidia had to re-adjust their pricing as a result.

airbud7 likes this.