AMD might not release a hexacore Ryzen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Their reputation actually hurts them more than most people here realize. Read Anandtech's article AMD's market problem. Page 7 and 10 - although all of it is good.

Even when they do have good products, they basically can't get them into any decent laptops because most consumers see them as a "budget" option and avoid it. AMD lacks the influence over the OEMs to fix it and I'm sure they don't have enough in marketing to do it either. So basically not only does Zen have to be good, but they have to continue to stay competitive for a few generations if they want any real penetration and mindshare change.

The good news is that AMD seems to understand that. Zen already looks really good and AMD is already confident enough to kind of show the road ahead with Zen+ and stuff. The other good news for AMD is Microsoft's Windows on ARM. Intel is facing threats from both AMD and Qualcomm/ARM.

Going to be interesting to see how it all turns out 5 years down the line.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Isn't AMD already doing something in the ARM space too? Wasn't there supposed to be two "Zen" designs, one for x86 and one for ARM?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sort of, but the ARM designs have nothing to do with Zen (they couldn't really, Zen is specifically an x86 architecture). There's the Opteron A series, but they have postponed that. They also had plans on doing a hybrid x86-ARM of some sorts but that seems to be even farther away.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Let's just hope the 8-core doesn't cost as much as some rumours now suggest. If those rumours reflect 'black edition' type CPU's it's okay, but no way would they be able to charge much more than an i7-7700K without people labelling it a fail. This is especially true if there are no 6-cores, since the other options are 4-core CPU's. If they try and charge the same for their 4-core/8-thread CPU as even Intel's 4-core/4-thread (i5-7600K), people just won't be enticed to change over to AMD. They have to build brand capital before even contemplating that.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not really, because it doesn't compete against the 7700K, it is more comparable to a 6950X.

Now, if there is an 8c/8t model that costs more than a 7700K, that I agree would be a mistake.