AMD might detail new RDNA2 graphics card on March 5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2020.

1. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    The same rumor also exists on Nvidia, which is why, rumors are rumors. RDNA 2 may well be RDNA with some small tweaks and Ray Tracing, nothing more. Ampere the same, it may be nothing that is rumored and also be just a slight tweak from Turing.

As they say, talk is cheap and on AMD side, they always have something amazing under its sleeve, we've been hearing this for years. Often, the hype that is created with each AMD release only hurts them.

And all the 4K thing on the interview, after AMD advertised the R9 390 series as 4K GPUs, I have a lot of reservations about what they mean by that.

2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Historically AMD make a high end pro card first, then re-purpose it for gaming (radeon 7, Vega frontier). For gaming I'd expect an upper mid range replacement for the 5700's with ray tracing based off the new xbox gpu first.

3. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I'm kinda expecting AMD to do a refresh before pulling out the big guns - just to troll us :D.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kinda feels as though RDNA was just a proof-of-concept. There were hardly any models released with that architecture, even on the pro/server side, and it's already superseded?

I guess in some ways that's a good thing, since that must mean RDNA2 ought to have more impressive results. Frankly, I wasn't really looking forward to a RDNA 5800+. The 5600XT and 5700XT are too power-hungry for the performance they deliver (5700 seems good, though).

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AMD said that GCN was continuing on the server side (at least in terms of the ISA/Front end) - so it's not surprising that RDNA was only on their consumer stuff.

It's not really superseded either, RDNA focused entirely on changing the wavefront around to avoid stalls - the rest of it was relatively unchanged. They didn't add any of the new features Turing added. The compute capabilities stayed basically identical.. it's just that the architecture is better at keeping it's SIMD occupied. We'd expect that that the next iteration would keep the wavefront changes and start focusing on other things - which is probably what RDNA2 is doing.

I think the biggest problem AMD has is it's drivers with RDNA. There was just a post yesterday on /r/AMD with 3K+ upvotes switching to a 2070S because of how terrible his experience was with the 5700XT. Lot's of people commented similarly. The blackscreen and multimonitor issues need to be fixed. It's sucks too because I feel like towards the end of GCN AMD had made a ton of progress there, most people felt they were on the same level as Nvidia and now all these stories of people's RDNA experiences are undoing all of that.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Considering AMD's patents for raytracing, those changes would not be small.
    https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-32GK850F
    Only thing which would not be exactly good is HDR400. But still better than no HDR support.
    Since when /r/... confirms that persona actually owns HW they claim is good/bad?
    We have some of those stories here too. From people with 550W PSUs which would suck even on nVidia's side. Those people should do the switch and learn their lesson.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Hopefully I can finally have both Amd cpu and Amd gpu in the same computer. I'm selling 2080ti in my Ryzen 3900x pc, if this is faster. It better be 30+ % faster. 2080ti is pretty old now :p

warlord likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    When there are constant posts about it there that are highly upvoted with multiple people claiming the same thing in the comments + posts here about it + AMD literally asking people to report their blackscreen issues on the subreddit, I think there is a problem.

It's been pretty pervasive on the sub since RDNA launched.

Even gnex, who said he is releasing a video about it soon, talked about how he seeded the 5600XT to his team for review and they ran into tons of weird driver issues - especially those with multiple screens.

9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    If it has highest clocks like those at 5700xt it could be up to 40% faster. But we all know it ain't gonna happen. I'm trying to calculate how much slower than 5700xt those clocks are gonna be.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did put it out for simple reason. You can pay $5 to get xx thousands of upvotes on your youtube videos from China based companies.
    It is not expensive to create some positive or negative feedback campaign that does not have advanced confirmation.

And we can be sure that there are hundreds of thousands bot accounts on each social platform.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It happen already so many time... same with NVidia and Intel come back...
    In 90 it was AMD then Intel, today is AMD... and roll again.
    Same with GPU.
    It's a market with only 3 companies.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk - I'm not going to sit here and argue with you that there is some conspiracy against AMD's RDNA platform for the last 8 months that I've been browsing that subreddit. Apparently it's also bleeding over to this forum where I've seen multiple people post similar issues about blackscreening or gnex who experienced similar problems or apparently AMD who is trying to collect data on the problem.

I'm sure it's going to get worked out but as it currently stands it seems like RDNA has driver issues regardless to whether someone is botting the threads or not and that's all I'm going to say on it.

13. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    If it releases with the current drivers, doesn't really matter. A lot of people returned their 5700 XT and went for 2070S due to bad drivers. It's been half an year and the drivers are still pretty bad and almost everyone seems to be having issues.

14. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    You ARE an bot, because you have almost 10k posts in a few years. 90% toxic posts. Russian spambot?

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    But I believe him on that though. Even if you don't it's plausible. People buy AMD because they are typically cheaper. To go with a 2070s sound very dodgy to me. If they said 2060s then it would have been plausible. I'm very skeptical that's actually a real post. It certainly comes off as an advertisement.

The BS issue was actually a real problem back a couple months ago. The issue has decreased substantially since then. A lot of those issues (and other issues) were the result of users using a single pcie cable to connect both 8pins or "8+6pin" connectors on the 5700's when they should be using separate pcie cable for each pcie connector on the 5700s.

I recall seeing a lot of post on r/AMD informing the misinformed to do that along with recommended PSUs. And that goes to the second thing I noticed. There were a lot of people who had underpowered PSUs who upgraded to ryzen 3600/3700 etc and only had a none rated 400/500 Watt "no name/unheard of name" PSUs.

Once people started calling them out on that and they headed to that advise to upgrade the problems started disappearing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    10k is easy. Look at Hilbert.
    All I need is someone with who I can have meaningful discussion. See, intelligent people can exchange dozens of posts in single topic. It is not hard to write 40+ long posts a day when topic and people are interesting.

And sometimes I even reply nicely to posts that have nothing else to offer than ad hominem.

Mesab67, schmidtbag and Undying like this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    why people are surprised to hear about rdna 2.0 ? xbox and ps5 are in the gates and they have rdna 2 ...so the architecture is ready ^^

Mesab67 likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Meanwhile me pushing right under 15k... :D

fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You have really big advantage as you have to warn us from time to time so we can take feets from gas.

Maddness and Undying like this.
  20. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    They announced during the earnings call that we're gonna have this year RDNA refresh, RDNA 2, and pro GPU series, probably Arcturus ?
    Announced like that, it's sounds like a ton of GPU compared to those last years.