1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Mantle API (Low level hardware access)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    no bf4 shouldn't be taken that seriously, it's a lol game, see what mantle brings with thief.
    if the devs have been slapped about and kicked off dlc production till they fix the game mantle will never arrive to bf4 anytime soon.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's a pretty sick demo.

3. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    BF4's Mantle build will run under Windows 8 and Windows 7.

4. wazer

wazer Member

GPU:
    1080TI on water
    Wont you guys think that AMD and maybe nvidia,intel will start to slack on improve hardware in general if mantle can do that well?

I'm afraid of we wont get that great and such powerful components the next years to come if mantle really becomes so successful

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    What's logic behind your thinking is beyond st....

If you could get same graphics and same performance as today on cheap ass hardware then you can do happily with that weak hardware at low cost and low power draw.

But don't worry, GPUs will still evolve no matter what. And we have graphene based transistors behind corner which are capable to tick at over 100GHz.

So one day we will return to simple 1 core design on that maybe again. (depends on cost and power efficiency)

6. jaju123

jaju123 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Managed to get some more info about crossfire etc from Johan Andersson on twitter! Helpful guy for sure!

https://twitter.com/repi/status/420299644954894337

He also said that mantle in BF4 was definitely coming this month but he deleted the tweet afterwards - not sure what that means :S

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well, if it doesn't appear this month, then you'll know what that meant :D

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I kinda have a feeling it won't be landing this month. I reckon february. Mid february.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    That is quite possible.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Call me noob but there's heaps I don't know about mantle....like can existing games be patched to use it? Is it backward compatible somehow?

On a side note, I bet even with mantle BFx will never see over 60 player servers...lol

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yes, it is possible to patch all games for mantle. It's just not feasible to do so due to development costs that would never be recouped... Older graphics engines would have to be almost completely rewritten to add support for mantle.....or games would have to be rewritten to support newer (Mantle enabled) graphics engines. Neither of which is a small undertaking....

Yes, it can be made backwards compatible with older cards. It's just not feasible to do so due to increased support costs....

Everything is about money.....

12. moaka

moaka Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti MSI GX
    Mantle

really with or whtitout mantle i have a fx 8350 + ati 7950 OC on bf4 ( fraps benchmark ) i just have Avg: 122.815 - Min: 82 - Max: 201 FPS ~ all maps with my little cfg (1080p ultra ) .

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    LEAKED PHOTOS FROM CES!!

VERY INTERESTING FOR KEVARI!!!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Why do we have 2 threads for Mantle?

15. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    slow news day?

16. moaka

moaka Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti MSI GX
    Its " KAVERI " not " KEVARI " and the optimisation is for Kaveri , FX , and other amd cpu ...

17. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Optimizations are done by cutting CPU overhead, which means you need very low number of CPU cycles per graphical element. Any CPU will benefit, including via or lowest atom, not just AMD.

At 45s as they "switch" they have just merged 2 separate videos. So it's not like one frame is thrown by DX and next few milliseconds later by Mantle.

I guess creating context window, buffers, setting up viewport can be done pretty fast. But sharing texture resources between DX and Mantle for fast switching may prove to be impossible as each API may want to clean after itself upon it's destruction.

It may be possible but unpractical and useful only for sake of demo as in real game you will likely test one, then another and stay with one you like more (fps-IQ).

19. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I would disagree, as AMD and Johan have explcitly said the DX and Mandle co-exsist side by side and can mix and match api calls.

20. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Actually, no.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case.