AMD Mantle API (Low level hardware access)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Sep 26, 2013.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    When you consider both next gen console systems will be uisng an AMD based APU with a GCN based GPU on board then this could very well be a good thing. Developers could in turn make games for PC first and then port down to consoles basically bypassing Microsofts DX on Xbox One and Sony's OpenGL on PS4 meaning we get better performance on PC and better optimizations. Also I am sure AMD have made it so its easy to port across to other API's if a developer wishes to utilize DX or OpenGL on consoles so as not to piss off Microsoft or Sony. Just means us PC gamers will get much better optimizations as AMD has been more or less in bed with almost every PC developer lately with their Never Settle Bundles and seen as BF4 probably the biggest fps game on PC is using it, others are sure to follow suit.

2. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/battl...-a-single-r9-290x-at-amds-event-at-5760x1080/

3. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    http://gearnuke.com/principal-technical-director-activision-says-well-support-amds-mantle/

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Cool comparison,

Yes something like that, faster gpu can help by those 20k calls, but nothing real - OpenGL 4.3 is better here, I think it can still do 60fps..

But yeah Mantle or Console is still years ahead compared to that, I cant wait to see this Mantle in action :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    All games for ps4 and xbox one will be already ported to it. Thats my understanding. So I think this is going to be huge.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    all games ? where did you read that ?

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I don't think 1st bunch of games on consoles will be made on Mantle API, but I guess any new project after GPU 14 conference is likely to contact AMD.

Hell, I want that now at home to test and start building.
    I am interested in things this can do for mobile devices.

8. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    I mean consoles are already low level API and since everything this time around is AMD I would assume the mantle just makes it possible for PC development to use the same low level API consoles do.

9. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    Battlefield 4 and Frostbite 3 Will Support Both AMD Mantle and NVIDIA NVAPI APIs

[​IMG]

http://*************/battlefield-4-...md-mantle-nvidia-nvapi-apis-pc-optimizations/

10. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    This means that we would see better performance on the entire GCN architecture enabled AMD graphic card lineup ranging from the top Radeon R9 290X to the bottom R7 250X

WTF??? I though Mantle is for ALL GCN cards, including the new mobile HD 8000m series and the HD 7k desktop series? And now its only for the new R-series? **** you, AMD :bang: unbelievable, what for empty
    promises :bang::bang::bang::bang:

11. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    I believe it is for all gcn cards. That would be 7000 series plus.

12. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Exactly, it works on all GCN cards.

13. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Yeah, seeing as how the majority of the new line are rebrands of the 7000 series, I'd be surprised if that weren't the case.

14. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    Ok, I hope so! Just bought a new laptop with a AMD A8 5557m and a 8750m, so I can be very excited for Mantle!

15. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    @Final8ty ,
    does this mean , mirrors edge , next mass effect , nfs:rivals would support mantle?

17. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yes.

There was a slide that showed a bunch, mass effect and mirrors edge were on it.

18. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This has the potential to be what Physx wasn't for games.
    1. It can be a performance boost to an existing engine where those added draws calls are not used. In other words the environment of the game will look the same no matter what card you use. However, do the the direct to metal approach of Mantle all GCN AMD cards would run faster.

OR

2. Developer could use a bit more development time/resources to add more to the environment making it look more enriched with GCN enabled video cards vs those cards that don't have GCN. And, possible, showing a performance similar to those non GCN cards with a less enriched environment. That would be the difference between Mantle and Physx.

Either way it's a win/win for AMD. I think that the 2nd option would be much more effective way of showing what Mantle can do other then just showing improved performance IMO. What's the point of the speed bump if you aren't doing much to harness those additional draw calls? For example, if a particular game being bench marked averaged 3000 draw calls per screen with mantle is enabled would show GCN cards are much faster then without. So why not take it further and create an environment where 5000-15000 draw calls per screen are required with Mantle? Up to a point were the performance impact would be similar to those non GCN cards without the added environment improvements. That way those IQ differences and performance with and without GCN would clearly show the full potential of Mantle.

At this point IMHO we need a Mantel enabled benchmarking program. Could AMD work with futuremark or Unigine in the near future? I hope they do.

One game I would think would really benefit from Mantel is Arma III. If such a thing would ever happen people's eyes would be open as to why D2M is so important for PC gaming. But that's just my view of it.

Another view to all this is if Mantle can be used to reduce the overall impact of using AA and AF?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yes, either same world but faster or add more stuff and have the same perf., I would opt for later though :nerd:

Hm I never thought about AA performance, but i think that more of a internal gpu bottleneck then API.

20. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    well, Posprocessing AA will be faster.