AMD makes Super Resolution officially open source, four new games get support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah idk - again it just looks like FSR is sharper which makes it look like its better but it's creating a ton of aliasing.. look at the guys hair lol - looks terrible

It doesn't add any more detail - it's just sharper on the edges which makes it more defined, but that's not detail. If anything it makes it more aliased. I can't like read any of those packages any better in one vs the other.

Honestly the entire truck is so much more aliased in the FSR shot.

AuerX and pharma like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 OC
    You can always see the artifacts in hair. I know i do with my 1080p screen i always see it even in native. Sharpening is making that even more pronounce i understand that but the dlss image is just to blurry.

3. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    If it was a driver option I would leave it always on, that way it will run in all games, but maybe its not posible

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    pretty interesting interpretation.
    all it adds is artifacts.across all the picture.like oversharpening always does.
    horrible artifacts in this case.

and again,the problem is not that dlss is too blurry here.it's that fsr is oversharpened.
    what you call detail here is mostly artifacts and aliasing.smooth and defined shapes are distorted with fsr.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Krizby likes this.

5. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I think the Upscaling pass (Larczos-2) of FSR is worthy of praise, but not CAS. CAS make the image look horrible IMO, it introduce ringing artifacts, something like

Turning this
    [​IMG]

Into this
    [​IMG]

Needless to say I'm not fond of overusing CAS, which users cannot tune down with FSR 1.0

DLSS on the other hand doesn't utilize sharpen filter natively, which give users the option of adding sharpening if they like.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    CAS isn't meant for low-quality non-game pictures. It actually causes much less ringing than Nvidia's terrible driver sharpen. Did you use the classic CAS shader or the new RCAS that comes with FSR? At least I'd expect RCAS to be different, as it is named differently. No idea if for the better or the worse, did someone take a look at the shader?

DLSS has it's own sharpen, but it is not activated or set to a noticeable strength in a lot of games. It seems to look really nice in Fortnite, similarly sharp and natural like supersampling would do. While I hate oversharpened pictures, I don't think the blurry results of DLSS in some games are actually a smart choice.

7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    it's pretty silly to compensate anything with sharpening.
    native image doesn't do that,that's why it looks soft but still detailed and natural.
    comparing downscaled and sharpened to native is an insult to ingelligence.

adding more detail with sharpening is just physically impossible.you can make them more pronounced but first you're making it look unnatural,second the sheer amount of artifacts it introduces really disqualifies it.
    sharpening should be used rarely and in very moderate amount.frankly I never use it,even though I could.it ruins realism to me.

Redemption80 and Krizby like this.
  8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I can easily tell whenever FSR is On in a blind test, the contrast of any light colored objects will be out of whack and it looks like the image lose color gradation, also no idea what shader FSR is using.
    So yeah with FSR I want to tune the sharpening down, which is not possible with FSR 1.0

I pretty much use Sharpen+ filter in every game but only marginally (like 30%) to limit the ringing artifacts, however the contrast adapting sharpening just make image look worse IMO.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 OC
    I always use sharpening. Amd ris 20% looks great. Sharper textures just look better in my opinion.

10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I use CAS in games that use TAA, since this tends to blur image.
    CAS helps to recover some of the lost detail.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Really gotta disagree. :)
    Control with DLSS Quality without sharpen:
    https://abload.de/img/control_dx122021-07-1l6jod.png

CAS strength 2.0:
    https://abload.de/img/control_dx122021-07-1v2j56.png

Nvidia driver sharpen (strength 0.6, ignore grain 0.3):
    https://abload.de/img/nvf9kyo.png

Nvidia driver sharpen increases brightness of brighter elements (spots in the floor texture, letterings...), while the concrete wall still looks blurry. CAS alters appearance of brightness differences less while the image still appears more detailed. And despite of ReShade inject, it is basically still for free.

12. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yup, 20-30% sharpening is probably for the best, FSR would be using around 50%, would be better if CAS can be tuned down.

Undying likes this.
  13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    20% is borderline for me.30% is too much.50% is just ridiculous.

I'd rather not use it at all,or stay around 10-15% max.
    it sharpens is what it does,but does it improve ? not really. relalistic,life-like image should have very little to no sharpening but higher pixel count and good antialiasing.modern aa methods look nice in static shots but move around and you're getting a god damn flickerfest.

14. AuerX

AuerX Master Guru

GPU:
    食人鬼
    Sharpening does not add detail. And look at the letters in the "Pick up here". not nice. And clothing folds look weird too with FSR, almost jagged.

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    True, but the developers at implementation time set the degree of sharpening. Nvidia will likely change this in the future and make DLSS sharpening a user driver adjustable option.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    the more games we see,the more issues present themselves that need to be addressed.they're on the right track tho.just slowly.imo they could improve it right as we speak if they wanted to,but they're nvidia,they're gonna trickle little by little once in a while just to f**k with amd.

I would really prefer to use native tbh,but if I were to choose something I wanna use for the next couple of years when performance isn't there,I would never pick upscaling + sharpen.I dislike them individually.Put thogether it's a complete casserole of nonsense.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Is this more than just a rumor? I definitely would like this.

18. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yes this is exactly what I was refering to, to you CAS looks sharper, but to me the contrast is turned way out of whack

https://imgsli.com/NjE3MTI

This is like you have set your screen to a perfect Contrast Ratio, then CAS just destroy it, it look unnatural (The floating guy shirt become whiter, the Insignia black part just become blacker, shadow becomes darker, etc...). To me the CAS image look like puke.

Maybe I can't stand CAS because I'm using an OLED screen, with infinite contrast ratio, CAS just make the image look kinda disgusting, this is much worse than ringing artifacts.

19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    yup,pretty much how it goes.

20. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    This is 1440p vs 4K FSR Quality in Hired Gun
    https://imgsli.com/NjE3MjM

There are noticeable ringing artifacts with FSR (The metallic pipeline doesn't blend in with the scene anymore, rather it looks like it get added onto the scene afterward). Does FSR look sharper? yes, but it's rather flawed.