1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Lowers Prices for Radeon RX 5700 NAVI Cards, 349 USD and 399 for the XT USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Console refreshes are not as much dictated by HW improvements as by marketing strategy. With high release rate, people can as well just buy PC.
    People buy Consoles, because they guarantee that there will be new content for years. Moment that's no longer case, consoles will lose their appeal.

As for performance and features... We can expect nVidia to push 20B+ transistors on 7nm EUV. Maybe 28B?
    No console can compete with that anyway due to price constraints.

pharma likes this.
  2. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Like I said, my GPU has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so why you keep bringing it up?

These prices mean nothing, when I bought the cards the prices in my country were as follows:
    RX 570 4G: 749 BRL
    RX 580: 1200+ BRL
    1050ti: 799 BRL
    1060 6G: 1200+ BRL

While the RX570 is a much better card for regular PC games, I don't really care about that, since I hardly play AAA games nowadays and don't mind dialing settings down if I ever do. So I tend to buy what gives me better emulation performance, while not being terrible at regular PC gaming.

AMD cards are known to give much worse performance on emulators that use OpenGL - that's the case for CEMU, Citra, PCSX2, among others, which are exclusively or much better with OpenGL, to the point where a 570 performs below 100% game speed - this is a big deal in emulation. So, again, in my particular use-case, the nvidia card was a far more interesting choice, and it still holds true somewhat today.

If you're out of the emulation loop, here are some quick examples of the bad performance:
    Citra

CEMU - I had much better (25~30 FPS) on a GTX 750 (non-ti)

PCSX2

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    @Ricardo : I keep bringing it up, because you made generic AMD vs. nVidia post and that was not truthful.
    On top of that you accused someone that he ignores 90% of GPU users and right in that post you brought in OpenGL minority and emulators minority. And you keep doing that since hypocritical #80.

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I didn't make generic statement: I clearly said that the super line from nvidia offers more bang for buck than AMD because the nvidia cards have raytracing and better OpenGL implementation in windows than AMD cards. These are hard facts and are relevant for people buying cards today.

You're the one seeing a "AMD vs. nVidia post" where there isn't one. You're also the one bringing the last gen to the topic as a cheap way of turning this into "AMD vs nVidia". And lastly you're the one throwing words such as "ripped off" and "hypocritical".

You might say these differences don't matter to you, which is perfectly fine - again, you do you. But the fact is that these differences exist, and for a lot of people they are relevant.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    So, how relevant to 90% of GPU users are those 4 DX-R games when there are hundreds of non-DX-R games.
    How relevant to 90% of GPU users is performance in emulators?

Sorry, those fit to something like 5% category or smaller.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  6. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Raytracing will be done in the next generation of consoles, so much more likely to be useful than what you say. And, again, nvidia cards have no compromise compared to current AMD offerings, so nvidia has equal traditional performance plus raytracing. How is that not better value?

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    @Ricardo : Don't you get it? I am only quoting you so you can understand that you accused someone from forming argument that ignores 90% of product audience.
    And you add 2 arguments where each ignores 95% of same audience.

Going back and forth is apparently pointless, because you do not get it even if I call it by true name of act you did. Instead you feel insulted.
    I wanted you to understand, you try your best not to. (Maybe effortlessly.)
    - - - -
    As to your desinformation, Turing with same transistor count as Pascal is much weaker in traditional games. Turing with RT is 16% weaker than Turing without RT when transistor count is normalized in traditional games. There is nothing like "no compromise".
    People hated RTX cards upon launch because they delivered mediocre performance improvement per $ over previous generation. But most of them ignored that nVidia was not charging more per transistor than before. They actually charged less per transistor. They had to make bigger GPUs to accommodate new functions while delivering same performance as before. Or much bigger to actually deliver higher performance than before.

Right now, Look at performance of 5700 XT vs Radeon VII. Look at their transistor budget. Look at their power draw... on same 7nm manufacturing process.
    You know nothing at this point except some marketing slogans. I hope you can get better by actually doing your own research.

But this was my last effort towards you.

8. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    You are literally too Stupid to .... :( .... why do people like you even make it to the egg...

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    This is providing the current RTX cards will still be powerful enough when games start to fully utilize ray tracing. Right now there's just a handful of games using RTX and honestly i watched some videos and let's just say ray tracing is like a new born baby. It's not for now something i would call a must have at all from the videos i watched. It's cool but certainly not something i would put over high resolution and/or high fps.

Right now i'd rather have 2k @144Hz with FreeSync support. My current computer is not good enough to provide me 144fps at 2k in most of the games i play but when it's powerful enough i'll say it's a lot smoother than 60Hz. I can easily tell when the game is running at a near constant 144fps.

I highly suspect with the current RTX card you'll be stuck at 1080p40-60 once games start to fully utilize RTX and personally i don't see that as something very valuable. Personally i'm done with 1080p60 gaming so while i would like ray tracing it's not really an option for another 2-3 years i would say and at that point i'll have to replace any card i would buy now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Ricardo likes this.
  10. Fediuld

Fediuld Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Armor OC /8GB
    Instead of making an argument, your only response it to insult me? You are salty I understand that, however do not fall to fascistic methods or smearing to counter someone's argument. You just pull the discussion down to your own level.

11. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    The difference here is that my argument has objective statistics to back it up, while yours has nothing but opinion behind it.

It really is pointless, since you've raised points completely off topic, and even though I addressed them to you, you still somehow didn't have enough.

Who cares about any of this? Who ever said that Turing was a better architecture than NAVI? Or that RTX launch was fair? Or that one chip is bigger than the other? You seem pretty triggered by any criticism toward AMD and just pulling a bunch of guns on first sight of someone that disagrees. Chill out.

Have a nice day then, see you around.

12. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    And then they will buy the Nvidia cards anyways. :rolleyes:

13. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Really the Nvidia prices are still too high you only win if you buy AMD, THAT WAS MY POINT.

14. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    So many words and no point. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just because you can't read or comprehend doesn't mean there's no point, unlike your reply.

Fox2232 likes this.