AMD is tanking

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nichtganz, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    I really would hate to see AMD go. My last two rigs were AMD powered, and did pretty damn well. Sure they aren't nearly as fast in synthetic benchmarks, but the seat-of-the-pants feeling in gaming is almost identical. Plus, AMD is for those who don't want to pay $1000 for a few square centimeters of silicon in a high-end chip. (of which there are MANY)

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    $1000? I'm confused, both you and I own a $180 smoking 45nm C2D Wolfdale, what are you referring to that is $1000. Even the i7 965 is under $1000...

3. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    I mean that Intel is charging $1000 (or near that) for their highest-end parts, while AMD is charging ~$275.

Edit: But yes, the E8500 is probably the best you can get for $180 at the moment...:nerd:

4. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I think you're confusing performance dominance with profitability, my friend.

AMD sells as many phenoms as it produces. Go to a computer store, you will find lots of low to mid range computers with Phenoms in them, especially tri cores.

For the server market, the new processors are simply a drop in upgrade. Intel has no response to that. If you want your server to use Intel, you have to buy new motherboards and RAM for every server you want upgraded.

Technological and performance superiority does not equal profitability as the topic maker suggests.

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I think you are confusing RAM with motherboard upgrading.

Intel has released all of the C2D's rather they be 65nm Conroes or 45nm Quad Wolfdales on socket 775, over a 3 year period Intel has made it possible for you to keep the same motherboard and increase performance 10-25% with architecture optimization and higher clock speeds. Not to mention these sockets also fit P4, Pentium D's and some Celerons; so your whole compatibility between chips being a problem is kind of thrown out the window.

Now a lot of people, for some reason or another, did upgrade their motherboards for just DDR3 support, while keeping S775. This in my opinion is THE dumbest upgrade (unless the mobo is free), since DDR3 has small gains over DDR2 on C2D architecture (i7 has done much better). I say if you are going to pay the extra money for DDR3 support and the DDR3 sticks themselves (4-5x more expensive than DDR2) then go ahead and go i7 for a few hundred more than C2D.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  6. Mochen

Mochen Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 OCX
    Not really as a lot of the older chipsets don't support wolfdale and yorkfield, so you'd still have to buy a new motherboard to use the newer cpu's

7. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I'm sorry, are you giving me a history lesson here? Why are you talking about Pentiums and Celerons? I said servers. Servers that currently use AM2 processors can be upgraded to AM3 with a simple drop in of a processor. You wanna upgrade to i7, you have to buy a motherboard and RAM along with it.

8. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i have to agree with ledhed

9. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    all i have to say is some people need to be careful what they wish for.
    and fan boy are always bias and annoying we need both company love em or hate em

10. Adam^

Adam^ Member

GPU:
    Asus 4850
    Anyone who think they are screwed as they have cut jobs needs to go watch the news. Loads of companies are cutting jobs, have loses etc.

As for AMD yea, they aren't able to compete with the power of the i7 and some of the intel quads, but its all about price point. I am on intel now as i got a very very good deal off a mate for cpu ram and mobo. But if I hadn't got that I may of got a phenom II. AMD make good products, cheap and effective.

ATI, well I don't get the ati bashing either. The 4800 cards are very good, nvid may have the single most powerful card, but im not going to spend £300 on a card, however a £120 card, that plays all my games on max is perfect.

The people who pick a company and only by those products are a bit daft, best to look and see what is the best performance for the money you have, if AMD were to bail on CPU's intel could charge stupid money. The only reason intel lowered the price of some of its CPU's last week was due to the launch of the PII's.

AMD won't go bust, they are just like most companies on the planet cutting some jobs. If they did go bust, i'm sure someone would buy them out anyway.

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I guess you forgot the fact that AMD caused many people to upgrade multiple times in less time frame than Intel did. Socket 754 and Socket 939 were not even 1 year apart in their release and then AM2 showed up with almost the same performance as 939. Talk about redundancy...

The reason I talked about Pentium and Celerons is to show how backwards compatible the 755 Socket is. Also the majority of us aren't building servers (though I do fix/use them at work), though I don't see why this causes any issues with the discussion. Servers are more expensive and use more elaborate hardware, but they still use the same type of sockets.

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well AMD shouldn't be tanking, intel has better gear.

:p

13. Jem

Jem Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek6600GT/ATI9800pro
    I hope AMD stays alive and kicking. I have been using AMD for like 10 years cuz of price. Right now, I am still using XP3200 Barton and NF2 board, yeah that old! which I was planning to buy a new 64bit intel board and intel cpu until I saw huge price difference between them and AMD. I don't get it why the latest Intel boards that use i7 or quad cores are averaged at 300 dollars with bad economy going on. I remember 5 years ago every time when new Intel boards came out, they were average priced at 200 dollars. So in 10 years, I bet new ones would be near 1000 dollars. And latest Intel cpus today are still expensive, even some prices are not bad for some but not with the cost of board that goes with it. So I probably would buy AMD again since their boards cost average of 100 dollars with not bad pricing on Phenom cpus. With AMD being cheap, they should stay in business because many companies like Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc still buy AMD to sell AMD computers to customers that can afford them rather than Intel. If AMD is finish, then Intel prices would be frequently adjusted to higher by ripoff artists, then I probably won't have a computer until new competitors come in.

14. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    if AMD go down it will be a very dark day for computer enthusiasts indeed

i just checked some prices and you can get a mobo+cpu for only £70, wont be any good for gaming i know.. but if your PC bites the dust and you just need to get back online then its a godsend

15. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Of course...

16. Psychonewb

Psychonewb Member

GPU:
    ATI X300? 256MB
    It's more likely they'd buy AMD and force their CPUs on you by making all their OSes unoperable with Intel.

Thats what we're hoping for.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sign o' the times..

Wherever you look at the moment there are job cuts. I mean look at Citybank (I think it was) and GM and the other big car makers in the US. And ABIT is to stop producing motherboards (cry)... Never though I'd see that day..

btw if AMD did go belly up that would create a monopoly for intel and I (for one) can't see that happening.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    How can you say that? The Athlons were awesome, the phenoms whilst not an Intel killer were very cheap and still offered extremely good performance for the average PC user. And now the 4800 series GPU's from ATI which is basically AMD and these chips offer amazing performance for the money.

Plus if AMD do happen to go under, how much do you reckon Intel will start charging for their CPU's? They will have complete control to charge what ever they want!

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Proof? Source?

Something to back it up?

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Compared to what? They haven't really been making poor hardware - Intel just happens to be making better components atm.

It's swings and roundabouts - if you remember (do you?) a few years back when AMD came out with the Athlon XP Intel couldn't touch them.

Gamers had AMD and mainstream PC's had Intel processors.

It was only with the release of the C2D things changed as most people know. It'll change again I'm sure.