AMD is investigating USB problems with 500 series chipsets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Strijker

Strijker Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    So they already said it got fixed and that bios version (Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.1 PatchA) available for my motherboard, so now there is a new version coming soon. I guess I wait for that one before flashing but I have a feeling some more bios updates will come for trying to fix this issue.

Not that I have serious problems with my USB connections with my X570 AORUS PRO board. Very rarely I have to replug my keyboard but that's about it.

2. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    I'm super confused where to look at, do i have to do that for everything that's listed under the usb tab?
    Also how do you actually figure out what device is connected to a certain usb slot, i know this sounds like a joke but i can't find it, I'm just asking because I'd like to use certain devices closer to the cpu and also disable other slots that are not being used.

Using a asus strix 570 f

Appreciate it :)

3. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    So in the Device Manager, at the top in the View tab, change to Resources By Connection. You will see memory registers and then a listing of where every device is connected. This is important because some motherboards may have a Black port, but when you connect a device to it, it's using a USB 3.0 connection. Dell and HP are notorious for not color coding their ports.

In the example below, you can see where the GPU is connected or in the case of this thread, I have a USB 3.0 host controller on my Alienware Alpha. Hell, I never knew it was USB 3, for all ports are color coded as black and nothing is connected to it. Your peripherals are color coded with blue, so that is how you know if the device uses USB 3. On some ports, there is also a label with SS (Super Speed) indicating that the port is a high speed USB 3.0 port.

The Device Manager is the best way to tell.

upload_2021-3-29_15-53-28.png

4. Ripcord

Ripcord Active Member

GPU:
    gtx1060 3GB
    USB has been an issue with Ryzen since its inception

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    JAMVA and Undying like this.
  6. Farasicnsee

Farasicnsee New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS (AGP)
    Left this info on another thread, MSI has its 1.2.0.2 bios (7C35v1E3) up as of yesterday, 8 April. Seems to be running well on my x570 Meg Ace.

7. Matt Conn

Matt Conn New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Hey there. I found this thread after a lot of searching.

My USB ports keep disconnecting. I have an ASUS Rog Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) with a 5900x.

I feel as if I've tried most of the solutions available at this point and was just wondering if anyone could suggest anything else.

I've uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled them, I've turned off all the power management options in device manager and finally updated the BIOS on my mobo (to AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2). I honestly thought that would do the trick after seeing that there was a known issue but alas, it doesn't seem to have worked. And wouldn't you know I'm also getting the audio cracking issue using USB 2.0 ports. It's almost as if it hasn't updated...

Any other ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Edit - I was wondering if I could just install a PCI e USB 3.0 hub, would that likely solve the problem for me? Apologies if that has an obvious answer, I'm not actually very technically minded!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021