AMD is investigating USB problems with 500 series chipsets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've had bluetooth headset disconnect issues since I flashed to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0.

With an Intel Wi-fi 6 AX200 in an m2 slot, the main headset I use disconnects, then reconnects as HSP/HFP with no option to change back to A2DP. A restart of the bluetooth service fixes it temporarily.

Strangely enough if I also connect a second headset and let it sit there doing nothing the problem disappears. Sure, it's stuck at HSP/HFP, but that doesn't matter.

When I've switched headsets due to battery charging the problem still happens, but alternated around.

These problems did not exist prior to 1.2.0.0.

2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    x570 Aorus Master, F32 bios, I've had no USB disconnect issues or PCIe4 issues/sound issues--no crackling, ever--since it went into service the week of 7/7/2019--about 20 months ago. I am, however, 100% wired! (Wireless is much too flaky, insecure, and slow to suit me.) If anything, I've always believed these issues were mainly reported by Zen3 users currently, because the Zen3 AGESAs are still maturing, and judging by the posts I've read in other forums that would seem to be the case.

Also, I would never advise anyone to use a USB sound device...and I'll never buy one myself, certainly. Tried one years ago--and that was it for me. PCIe is far superior for sound, imo. USB is 100% CPU-dependent, whereas the best PCie devices only bother the CPU when absolutely necessary.

Kaarme likes this.
  3. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Since AMD didn't say which exact boards/manufacturers were effected and should take this new AGESA update, does that mean that all us X570 were effected, but we just never noticed it??

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I use both a wireless mouse as an 19" rackmounted USB interface, no issues ever with USB on my X570 board.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a studio recording interface with loads of inputs, mixer ability and balanced in/outputs for PCIe, USB and TB is far superior. :D
    Not true that all USB sound interfaces are 100% CPU dependent either.
    Also got a custom build e-drum module which I neither had issues with, nor any of my synths and multi fx units.
    Also used a Creative USB DAC for a bit, no issues there either, in fact, my smaller headset microphones worked way better with the DAC than the onboard soundcard.
    Now I got a USB condenser mic for voicechat, which also works without issues.

jura11 likes this.

5. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    XDD AMD will cry a river for you. :D Go back to Intel for some vulnerabilities.

Lebon30 and bobblunderton like this.
  6. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Oh, so you're the guy I drive past and see walking barefoot to the store on a daily, because you had problems with shoes, your car, and a refrigerator in the past (and no longer use any of those because of it) ? POOR YOU!
    What are you going to do when your roof leaks, sleep outside? TRY HARDER.
    Be glad you were not around when nVidia was making nForce chip-sets for Core 2 series. Ugh.
    If you think this is bad (hint, it's not!), you should have been around for that hot mess.
    That aside, ...
    I couldn't imagine trying to accomplish my work flow on my old 4790k. That thing is a DOG compared to the 3950x or the 3700x I had immediately before it. All while still running cooler with the AMD chips at stock settings with a Noctua / air cooling, than the intel ever did, even when delidded with liquid metal. I couldn't even use half my Z97 motherboard with the intel because they failed to provide enough lanes from the CPU to feed the board.
    But that's fine; you can stay in the past, in the stone age, while the rest of society advances. You are punishing you, not us. I just pray you won't step in a hole from an errant ground-hog, because then you'll want to get rid of the Earth too.

On a more productive note:
    3700x / 3950x on Asus X570 TUF board, no issues to speak of with wireless internet usb devices, mouse, keyboard, or anything else plugged into it. Using whatever bios was installed on it in 10/2020 when I bought it at Best Buy. Highly recommend this motherboard, very well made, nothing over the top, and only one of those disco lights* (LEDS?) on it.
    *Do not prefer nor do I require my machine to puke rainbows. It just needs to work - you know, COMPUTE and all that.

3700x/3950x on ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 - some random issues with usb generic wireless device dropping out, I think once the mouse dropped out but it was for 2 seconds and that was it. Did not seem to get along with any of my external DVD-RW drives I had plugged in to test. Used whatever BIOS came with it on release day, then updated in summer 2020, still not much better. Never liked this board and never could get Sata hot plug feature to work. When it failed it never did get sent back, has been sitting in a box 6 months as I hate it - hence why I just went out and bought a different board when this one failed after 14~15 months.

**added stuff...
    Also would like to add that a good friend finally upgraded from an x299/7980xe to a x570 Asus Dark Hero / 5950x and he absolutely LOVES it. No issues to speak of, with USB or otherwise, and it's been quite smooth sailing once he figured BIOS out enough (typical new platform, new options, new names stuff).
    The real kicker? Blows his 7980xe (which was overclocked!) OUT OF THE WATER. Surprised even me how much better the 5950x actually was. His reaction was 'why didn't you tell me it was this good or tell me sooner???' I said 'I tried, I told you this 3950x was awesome for games and a ton better for productivity, the 5000 series only improves on it'.
    He's still shocked that in-stead of a hot, loud, power hungry 7980xe that he could grill dinner for a family of four on, he has an almost completely silent 5950x that does even more work. His carry-over NVME drives from the old system read a ton faster, too (not just the new pci-e 4.0 ones he added).
    Another friend who got a 5800x / x570 Gigabyte Aorus board hasn't had any issues in the 4~5 weeks since he built it.
    ...and to think there's a Threadripper out there that's 4x what a 3950x / 5950x is... My game dev work-flow barely satiates a 3950x for more than a short bit...
    Thank-you to AMD for making sure computing ADVANCED.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    JAMVA and Lebon30 like this.
  7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Ive turned off power saving on anything to do with usb that has a power management option, seems to do the trick until something gets updated.

Maddness and Turanis like this.
  8. OATKK

OATKK Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1 GB
    Depend on some CPU's issue not Motherboard but may can be fix with BIOS. Tested on 4 5600X 2 of 4 got the USB issue and 3 fo 6 3600 got that problem.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I also have zero problems on a full on PCIe4.0 system with everything enabled (5950x, 3090, Aorus Gen4 SSD, X570 Aorus Master), zero disconnects etc, either in USB 3.1/3.2 ports, USB-C or USB 2.0. That doesn't mean there wasn't an issue with some configs, and it's good AMD is doing something to fix it on the AGESA level, so the implementation can happen for all hardware uniformly.

10. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    And do not forget to check every USB thing in Device Manager: uncheck "allow to save power something" in PowerManagement.
    But I guess "the truth is out.." in middleware aka MS sh!tty updates.Since Oct-Nov 2020 they "patched" Windows Periphals and -f-up the Usb things.Mouse jumping&sloppy,Usb 3 disconnects unusual than ever,etc.

11. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Build several Ryzen systems since 2017, never experienced this issue, audio crackle i only have on my old intel 4790K system.

Good job AMD.

12. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    My cheapo Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 has had no issues.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Well, judging by AMD's response there obviously were issues. It's bad that it took them so long, and good that something is finally done about them.

14. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    USB fix :)

Attached Files:

• fix.PNG
      fix.PNG
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the agesa fix is 1.2.0.2, there may be changes in 1.2.0.1 but not a signed off fix.

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some users just want a trouble free experience.deflecting the problem to some ancient nvidia chipset is not helping.
    the amount of usb connections was one of the main factors for me for example.although none that I use really require high speed usb.just make sure I have 10x usb ports on the back of my mobo working.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I just had a new revision released for my asus mobo too... that's really interesting, the bit that they have added about them not taking any responsibility from the use of the bios or any damage resulting from it, it's almost as if my feedback about the previous bios killing a usb thumb drive was actually listened too.... absolutely hilarious..........

As a note to anyone unaware, that legal jargon is not present for any previous asus beta bios, earlier this year I went through the annoying process of registered product feedback for two separate issues relating to a new asus motherboard and then being met with "Anthony" which I am pretty sure is just a word used by a multitude of customer support agents, Anthony was not helpful.

After this I don't think I will be purchasing asus products ever again after using only asus motherboards since 2006, there is always something small that is not right or a problem of some sort that they never fix, even my current video card has an issue that was never fixed.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I have an external headphones DAC/Amp, and I'm using it via optical toslink. It does have USB and coaxial digital as well, but I like how optical allows me to avoid any electrical connection between the DAC/Amp and the PC. When my desktop was out of commission for a time, I did use the DAC/Amp with my laptop via USB. It seemed to be fine. However, I won't connect it to this Ryzen PC via usb for any reason.

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Disabling power saving in power management does nothing thats why i went the device management route and went through all the usb devices that have power saving option, the main culprit seemed to be the 2 onboard usb 2.0 headers although i still get the occasional disconnect.....but very rare.

Turanis likes this.
  20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    On other hand, not all motherboard is affected, i have a sensible studio quality DAC connected and the V2 1.2.0.0 , and it never crack (i would be very disapointed if so).