AMD is investigating USB problems with 500 series chipsets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    While technically yes, practically the differences are small, less than 2 ms difference in round-trip latency (in + out), also depending on the ADC/DAC chips. Using PCIe can sometimes net you a bit more performance, though, as in more tracks/effects at same buffer settings.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Just jumping in to say i've no problem here. :rolleyes:

3. Timur Born

Timur Born Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    Once I finally get my 5900X (ordered in 20-11) I will put AMD's USB to scrutiny with USB2 and USB3 audio interfaces. Still no date for that, though.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Ok, I've looked into it and that's not quite true. USB4's PCI-E tunneling is optional and must be supported by the host. Which also means it's Thunderbolt3 compatibility is also optional. 40 Gbit/s mode is also optional. This opens the door for different interpretations of the USB4 standard and might muddy the waters. It seems clear to me that I'd need to look out for "Full Thunderbolt3 support" to be sure.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    The lack of a guarantee of anything meeting any standard is the difference between USB4 and TB4 (which yes, operates at the same max speed as TB3). TB4 guarantees minimum standards, so some crappy laptop manufacturer can't just slap on a TB4 logo when it doesn't operate anywhere near 40Gb/s, or lacks expected TB functionality.

At least USB4 will be named USB4 before those assholes rename it 4 times and ruin it more and more every time. Someone needs to teach those idiots what the word generation means.

The USB naming is such disgusting dumpster fire, that in a vain attempt at preventing confusion, my modern (still be quiet!'s flagship) case labels gen 1 ports as USB 3.0 and gen 2 ports as USB 3.1. Even though 3, 3.1, 3.2 as of the current naming change are all the same thing, only the "GeNeRaTiOn" matters.

Kaarme and Stormyandcold like this.
  6. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 5700 XT TUF
    My AsRock X570 Steel Legend is having issues with an external NVMe to USB 3.1 (10Gbps) enlosure based on JMicron JMS583, and sometimes with an SATA-USB3 enclosure based on JMicron JMS580. It looks like the controller chip would overheat after some period of activity, and the drive will stop responding. Now this is a known bug of early JMS583 revisions, and there are generic firmware updates for JMS580 and JMS583 which are supposed to fix these issues, but they don't really help much with my X570 motherboard, whereas both of these enclosures are rock stable with another PC based on MSI Z370 Gaming Plus.

OTOH I've recently bought an USB 3.2 (20Gbps) NVMe enlosure that uses Realtek RTL9210, and it works just fine with my X570 motherboard. So I guess Intel is simply better at working around 3rd party controller bugs in comparison to ASMedia.

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Apparently that is not possible.
    I tried flashing a previous file from November which worked fine for me, and it says "This is not a valid bios file" (or something like that).

These bios updates seem to be just that, updates, not complete "reinstall", so you can only go forward with them... oh well, hope they fix this s**t soon :(

Four of my ports now have problems, random disconnects or not working at all... I seriously hope it's just a software issue and it's not electrically killing ports.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    If your motherboard listed on your profile page is correct then you can use bios flashback, an asus feature of flashing a motherboard while it is turned off.

Basically it requires you use a usb thumb drive formatted in FAT with the bios file named correctly and saved to the usb thumb drive, on the back of the motherboard one of the usb slots is marked as the flashback slot and there should be a bios flashback button, which you will hold for.... I think it's 3 seconds then it reads the file and flashes the board, while the PC is turned off.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  9. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    You seem to not have understood what I said:
    The board is not accepting older versions of the UEFI bios. Doesn't matter which method of "flashing".

Modern UEFI is not like old bios where an update would just overwrite everything as one flat 0 to 100% erase and rewrite and be done with it... they are little operating systems with an internal file structure.
    Updates are replacing those files or even doing binary edits inside them.

It is simply not possible to "go back".

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The misunderstanding is yours,

Flashback circumvents the "Flash tool" and Signed firmware security blocks that they contain as well as enables the forcing of re-partitioning the flash.

Incorrect, any device that contains binary partitions can be force flashed backwards.

Flashback is a derivative of service mode that reprograms the flash to the structures of the provided rom and implies a preliminary erase pass, it is part of the boot block and there is not enough room in this region to do things downgrade checks

theres also UEFI mode bootable tools that allow you complete access to the flash.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    HandR likes this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I have similar board, I can confirm that you can indeed flash back to a previous version.... that is why it is called flashback, it is an asus specific feature.. in my case I was having an issue with the newest bios so I went back one version and the issue was no longer present.

HandR likes this.
  12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I think that's important information for musicians. There's no way I'd chance it, I really don't have time to fak around. I'll stick with TB, cheers.

13. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    dude I've had that for years before realizing what it was so I'm 100% certain of what I'm writing here
    have you or do you know anyone that had HDDs, then SSDs not even showing up in BIOS ? or ever seen the windows pop-up telling you "please unplug an USB too many are connected" no one I asked ever saw that I can't even find it with google because I don't remember the exact phrasing but I can assure you windows has a pop-up for that

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is resource exhaustion, not running out of bandwidth, the usb spec also throws warnings when you exceed the hub power availibility.

15. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    TB has been open, albeit the adoption rate is slow my AMD motherboard as native builtin TB3

16. Daytona675

Daytona675 Member

GPU:
    DEVIL13 7990
    No problems, Dark Hero X570.

17. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I don't mean to bash AMD, but it's rather embarrasing that issues like these still happen. USB devices working properly is essential for any user, no matter if work oriented or just gaming. Certainly they will fix this issue eventually, but how long will it take? I wouldn't celebrate before testing the new BIOS', since the issue might still persist - we have seen this many times with AMD, besides the first BIOS' are betas.

I dig their new CPUs like anybody, but the high pricing combined with reliability issues are a major turn off. I can always forgive somewhat faulty products if they are cheap enough, because you should get what you pay for right? Unfortunately high price tag with even minor issues don't mesh well.

EDIT. correction

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I wouldn't blow this out of proportion , i know more than few B550 users and none reported any issues . Scale may not be that big - or even isolated to some specific setup/devices.

19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    if it is due to AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.0 (i am on it too but have no issue with it) you can downgrade to 1.1.0.0 patch C or D and try if it solve your problem.
    (also i see a lot of people having issue with Asus motherboard... Asus is no good on Ryzen MB)

20. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    wtf? i never had any of this issue, maybe you just a bad mobo, can you try another mobo instead of blaming the easiest target?