AMD Invoking Sales Ban for ASRock Phantom Gaming Graphics cards in Europe

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 5, 2018.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I find that unlikely, seeing as there ASRock has other products sold outside of Asia (including AMD products).

2. ChaosFenix

ChaosFenix New Member

GPU:
    I think this has more to do with the dissolution of Nvidias GPP yesterday than anything against asrock. ASRock is a sub brand of Asus. The only reason Asrock opened a gpu lineup in the first place was so that Asus could comply with GPP and still sell cards from both vendors. This is way of AMD telling Asus to put them back in their ROG lineup which has much more exposure, name recognition, and marketing dollars behind it. They don't want to be left in a much smaller brand with little exposure to their core customer group due to the manipulation Nvidia tried to do. At least that is what I read from the timeline.

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Also worth noting is the fact that limiting certain brands to certain markets has been standard practice for as long as I can remember, heck, it was already happening in the Voodoo days with 3dfx/PowerColor-deal

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Not true. ASRock was originally spun off Asus, true, but they're not "related" anymore and haven't been for years (if you go far enough up you will find common names on the owner side, but that's about it)

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    This makes a lot of sense to me, too. When board partners sell your product a lot of money is involved from their ends so limiting certain boards to certain markets makes sense--trying to keep everyone happy is a big job. I think it very likely, as has been mentioned here already, that the ASROCK employee only knows they can't sell them in the EU, not why they can't sell them there.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Maybe if Asrock sold these cards as actual Mining cards with Mining in the title instead of gaming AMD might have let them sell their cards. If AMD would have allowed them to go that route.
    Exactly AMD caught on to what Asrock was trying to do which was to me selling cards with a similar mindset as a customer who wants purchase the cards to get into the Mining craze.

7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I wonder why AMD cares if AsRock takes market share away from it's other AIB's in Europe or America? Revenues are still incoming to AMD albeit from a different source.

8. Dragonstongue

Dragonstongue Member

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3 OC
    many good responses here.
    Dr Lisa Su seems to know exactly what she and AMD should be doing, since she took the helm of AMD she helped lead a complete turn around
    of the company and its financials as well as even more robust product offerings, now she needs to make sure the Radeon group gets the
    very same pep talk and leadership now that Raja was booted to the curb (in the nicest way possible)

I personally think Radeons since at least the 3000 series have been quite good overall, at the very least they tend to be more under the hood
    for the $$$ they expect you to pay for them (built FAR better) than Nv based things which tend to give the lowest possible quality
    they can sell to buyers, Nv is a "one trick pony" AMD is a veritable sledgehammer, a sledgehammer takes energy to smack into a wall
    but if you know how to use it, it will take down the wall way quicker than the mini pocket knife Nv keeps selling ^.^

Ngreedia with their GPP program "full transparency" means they want everyone's cookies even if they were not the ones to buy all the ingredients
    took the time, the patience, the money to bake the best cookies they could, just like them though, they take all the credit for everyone elses
    hardwork try to screw with coding or trick the software to use their less robust design to make it "appear" fast.

if Asrock was "banned" from selling in a specific region there has to be another part of the story we are not hearing about
    I liked the look of the Asrock Radeons, but, their either complete lack of OR "ok" at best RMA process put them on my do not fly list
    for where I live, for them to claim them as "mining segment" I can see why AMD pulled out a hammer to smack em some ^.^

9. SaLaDiN666

SaLaDiN666 Member

GPU:
    1080 GTX
    No one would be buying AMD cards except a few fanboys if there was no mining.

AMD doesn't care how the cards will be marketed, they are actually happy that miners buy them.

The vast majority of miners is in Asia, so there goes your answer, why it is sold only there.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Pretty sure Asrock were fully aware of all the details and regional restrictions when they signed the deal with AMD to manufacture their cards. This isnt something that just pops up out of the blue to catch them by surprise.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You could have just checked the Asrock and Asus wiki entries for all the details instead of digging up something from 2011. Asrock and Asus have been separate entities for quite a while.

rl66 likes this.
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Just to add that Asrock was board maker for Asus (a bit like foxconn), then Asus start to sell product directely under this brand (most of the time to "test" future feature for the Asus brand) ,

Then in 2012 Asus left Pegatron (the real name of Asrock) by itself... at this moment it was the 3rd worldwide manufacturer of mother board.
    After 1 year of so/so result it is now one of the bigest company as MSI, Asus, Gygabite...

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    this news is hardly praise worthy for amd,but spin it how you will

airbud7 likes this.
  14. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    You got it the wrong way - only fanboys wouldn't buy AMD for anything but mining.
    Normal people who don't have any set-in-stone brand preference buy them for gaming because they're good at it. Sure, they might not offer the best performance or consumption numbers, but they're still good and offer fine competition in most performance groups.

15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I won't buy AMD GPU's but that's due to me being locked to Nvidia to be able to stream games to my TV via the Shield. If it wasn't for that I'd happily buy AMD as long as the value was there.

16. AMDfan

AMDfan Member

GPU:
    280X
    Tom's Hardware is known for their Intel/NVIDIA bias, and i also like to point to the fact it's only a RUMOR.

If this turns out to be true, than AMD is as bad as NVIDIA. But i would like to say to all you people take this news with a bit of salt.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Have a feeling you consider most sites biased, eh AMDfan?

What if the scenario is like this...

Asrock: Hello AMD, can we manufacture and sell your GPUs?
    AMD: That depends. We have enough manufacturers making/selling our GPUs in certain regions. But if you are willing to make/sell GPUs only to Asia, we can make a deal.

In this case, looks quite normal, no one did anything wrong or screw anyone over.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. Pinscher

Pinscher Active Member

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    asrock making mining Cards or not is irrelevant.

AMD just banned them taking away our freedom of choice.

19. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I don´t even think it´s an Asrock issue, they are not new. Someone must have imported a lot for reselling, which is not a bad idea for hot items like these :p

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A bit of a correction here. ASRock was NOT spun-off from Asus. Pegatron, the owner of the ASRock brand, was spun-off from Asus.

ASRock has never made a board for Asus. Pegatron, prior to the spin-off, was the OEM leg of Asustek and still manufactures some Asus branded motherboards. ASRock was started by Pegatron while Pegatron was a subsidiary of Asustek. ASRock has always operated independently of Asustek.