AMD Holds Press Conference 31st of May - Likely announces Vega and HEDT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2017.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice troll post, why did you join these forums to post this exact post in three different forums?

2. MurdockNVIDIA

MurdockNVIDIA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX3.0
    I wanted to start a debate over the specs of the GTX 20 series. that's way!:)

3. cvearl

cvearl Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RX 580
    No. Because you are a tool. That's all.:banana:

4. cvearl

cvearl Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RX 580
    For me if Vega is faster than a 1070 and priced at, or below, the 1070 I would be quite happy. I don't see a need for AMD to "steal the speed crown" from nVidia. They will just make a GPU the size of a truck if they have to... Oh wait... LOL Anyway. I am very interested in Vega. I already have the 1600X and it is faster than my 4.4Ghz i7 2600k was so I am impressed and it is really fun trying something than the old GTX+i7 combo for a change.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, hence why i stated troll post, since you posted it in an AMD post....

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @GeniusPr0
    have yet to see anyone that runs an i5 and a card thats bigger than 1060.

nor do i know anyone that runs a 1070/80 or similar, to play at 1080p (or below), the only time cpu bottlenecking is noticeable.

games already make use of 4-6 cores, BF even 8.
    doubt those numbers will go down again, so ryzen is the better choice.

except maybe for the ppl drinking blue kool aid..

@Humanoid_1
    not the DC, its the latency that affects games.
    but higher clocks and recent microcode updates seem to fix that.

funny how some are comparing ryzen to an arc thats out for a decade (and could be optimized in every way; os/driver/games),
    vs something brand new and out for a few weeks, and expect it to be 100 times faster out of the box...
    (sarcasm mode: off).

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You sure put out a lot of nonsense with an attitude of "everyone knows", when in reality, its your mind making things up to better suit what you wish reality should be like.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Here. I do not enjoy that i5 for quite some time now. It bottlenecks me.
    And I do run 1080p screen @144Hz. Can't wait for Ryzen to solve this 3200MHz memory issue or Zen+ core coming.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with a client recently.

His Windows computer died, and he swore that he's going back to his Linux computers only.... except for the fact that our software from Cisco Systems doesn't work on Linux because Linux is just 1% basically of the whole consumer computer world, and the tiny minority that would use this software doesn't it make it worth it for Cisco to support it.

But like most Linux people, he was adamant that he was right and that we have to make the software work for him and open-source and blah blah blah. Basically I had enough and cancelled his contract with us due to a breach of terms (he agreed to work with us using a Windows computer originally) and he had to pay a great deal of money for that instead of just getting another Windows (or even OSX) computer.

Linux people, get a life. Nearly no one cares about the things that you do (no matter how "right" you may be). Apple, Microsoft, and Google are the ultimate proof of such. It's almost the ultimate example of a vocal minority.

/rant

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    So start a new tread.

Why is it so hard to keep threads somewhat relevant to the topic in these forums??

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Seems we have a competition in making the most irrelevant point...

First we had the guy posting Linuses FU Nvidia because... anyway why the hell not!?
    Then some random forum-goer joins in with an attempt at psychoanalysis (apparently he's unhappy about my posting history)
    And finally we have the guy ranting about a vocal Linux minority, and yet in all probability he never even heard about the Gentoo Ricers:

--omg-optimized
    The true ricer spirit lives on.
    "There are so many steps involved in tweaking the last uumph out of your linux system- and it really is a work of art to pull it off- I have used many different kernels and all sorts of optimization combinations-yesterday I finally used -noatime and -notail for my reiserfs file system: The single biggest performance boost I have yet to see-now I can have gnome2.2 running using gnome-terminal to compile the latest j2sdk from source (nice -n 19)while browsing with mozilla while running e17 in a seperate login with two eterms and run Unreal Tournament at full speed (this with an apache webserver running for my dyndns pseudo-domain and a mysql for my answering-machine software for my isdn card-which keeps track of all incomming phonecalls and manages my telephone book app and ntfsd/sshd/dhcp server/squid)..."
    --teach-me-unix
    Watching sh1t scroll by for hours makes me a Linux expert overnight!
    "I started using Gentoo on the desktop and now I've rolled it out as a production server using some great technologies: ReiserFS, RAID-5, Gentoo patched kernel, Samba ... you name it."
    --time-records
    Published time records from the truly moronic

"I'm currently isntalling Gentoo from stage 1 on 300Mhz laptop with 128 megs of RAM. And the compilation is not an issue. That guy sounds like he plans to do all the compiling during the time he would normally be using the computer. Why not do like I did? I started the bootstrap when I was on my way to bed. In the morning, it was finished. Before I went to work, I emerged system. When I got back home, it was done. X and Fluxbox were both installed during the night, no problems there. I didn't lose any time compiling all that software."

"as it turns out, on my computer it took 13 hours to get kdebase. if you have a long list of use flags (including the ones in make.conf.defaults) you can get a long compile. likewise some CFLAGS will speed up compile time and others elongate it. unless the program is only used sparcely, like genkernel, i'd reccomend staying with at least -O2 for optimizations."

"thanks all! nice to know I'm not crazy and so its not a joke. i started emerge kde days ago now and its still going, I used -03 -pipe -fomit_frame_pointer accepted whatever was the default USE."

[​IMG]

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Your client was wrong and stupid, but you're not being a whole lot better. I'm not going to address semantics like the whole "1% consumer" claim, but I won't ignore that you think it's a Linux-user trait to demand "software people" work for them. What most Linux users demand is things to be open source (of which, I personally find irritating because most of them want that purely out of principle). My gripe with your statement is you think this a Linux user issue, and it isn't - it's just a people issue. If you don't support Mac and this guy decided to switch to Mac, you'd get the same outcome. Proportionately, you encounter far fewer Linux users, so anyone who is being obnoxious is going to stand out.

Each of those companies you mentioned are actual solid proof against your point. Here's a small list of examples why:
    * Many of the applications/daemons Apple uses have been contributed toward other unix-like OSes (including Linux), such as CUPS. Apple doesn't have to do this, but they realize that they too benefit from what other OSes contribute toward.
    * Microsoft actively contributes toward the Linux kernel and Linux applications such as Skype. They have also released things such as .NET, Visual Studio, and virtualization implementations for Linux.
    * Android and ChromeOS are based on Linux. Google encourages the use of Linux for their office PCs (not just servers). Google is a very active contributor to the kernel, and puts a lot of effort into desktop use.
    * Mac and Windows have implemented features that originated in Linux (or unix-like OSes), such as multiple desktops/workspaces, closer integration with shell scripting (like PowerShell), a shared library system, software repositories, pausable file transfers, alternative schedulers, and booting from a USB drive.

Note I intentionally didn't focus on features that only affect servers and workstations, because that's not what we're discussing here.

So - mind explaining how "nobody cares" what Linux users do?

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Fox2232
    meant more ppl i personally know..

well then, get a 1700 already ;)

as long as you go with g skill/samsung chips, there really isnt an issue anymore, hynix chips should be included with next microcode update..

luckily my old one goes to a friend whos paying in rates, and i have a few more weeks before i need the new hardware.
    by then it should be fine to get one.

depending on release date, maybe even the x399.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Adaptive vsync is an open standard that NVidia isn't using when their hardware obviously can, and artificially splitting the market. Mixed mode means that only features that AMD keeps as proprietary technology are part of the closed driver stack, while literally 90% of the driver is part of the kernel and it doesn't require recompilation of binary blobs attached to the kernel, that stop kernel upgrades and break with ABI changes. The only vaguely hilarious thing here is that you keep insisting on being such a fanboy.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I posted it because you said that NVidia is better on Linux. Not understanding why he said it is just more proof that you have no clue how anything works and you're just repeating things that make you warm and fuzzy.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
  17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Under AMD's proprietary driver FreeSync is supported in grand total of eleven games. According to your link. It doesn't work at all with open-source driver(s). Which btw is preferred way to run GNU Linux with AMD GPU)

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you?
    Not only gaming without compositor is better due to being more responsive. But FreeSync same as Gsync does not work in fully windowed mode. You don't get to draw window borders with FreeSync period.
    Only a flaming fanboi and a clueless troll like you would call the above situation FreeSync working, Gsync not working (with DE compositor).

Because furthermore, window manager and compositor are not the same thing. You can kill compositor and still get window borders to draw.

[​IMG]

Now stop spreading any more disinformations, and stop embarrassing yourself in your desire

im done with ya
    bye
    Q.E.D

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    delete

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I should have clarified from the consumer's point of view. Apple is a walled garden, and Android is a fragmented mess that has the linux hidden behind layers; and even Google is trying to move away from it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

Again, Linux is cute as a consumer system (such as Ubuntu, etc), but the fact is less than 1.7% of people choose to use it. About 97% use MacOS or Windows.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    All the people and companies that enable any kind of end-user experience lean on Linux in some way. From clusters to embedded devices and academia, what we have today wouldn't be possible without it, and its desktop is extremely influential because it affects people who matter in whatever everybody else is using. It's pure blindness to miss that spot.