AMD hints that ZEN-cpu is twice as fast as the FX-8350

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 25, 2016.

1. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I think it's more like ~160 with +60% IPC; and double in multi threading compared to fx8350, if it's 8c/16t.

2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Even if it is close to Skylake is that really such a win for AMD since you'll need to buy a new AM4 Mobo as well.

I don't see them gaining many punters but i do expect anyone who still uses AMD cpus to upgrade eventually.

£200 for an 8core Zen and £120 for a decent AM4 Mobo. At least finally they will get PCIe 3.0 and USB3.1 and any i missed.

BUT will it be 200 for a 4c 8t or will you get 8c 16t for 200 squid, that's the question i'd like answered.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Your statements are only valid when coming from a Skylake or Haswell platform. Also, why does it matter if you need a new motherboard? Intel used to do that all the time. Anyway, AMD in general doesn't appeal to enthusiasts. If you're on a budget, chances are, you've gone at least 2 years before doing a substantial upgrade. Zen is probably catering to these people.

Anyway, as with most things, I never take graphs made by the manufacturer seriously. I don't even take them with a grain of salt. Doesn't matter who it is, they're always best-case and theoretical scenarios.

4. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Interesting, that will later be possible to insert the 32 core server CPU, in a standard AM4 PC mobo?

5. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    It is a win if the price is good. If people find Intel too expensive, they will simply switch to AMD.

However, it doesn't mean they will do much better financially, because there are many things that play into how well they will do financially, so that has yet to be seen.

I am not looking to upgrade myself, but if I would still be stuck with my i7 920 or 740QM laptop, I would wait to see what Zen has to offer, because this atleast seems interesting... We will see if it is once its released.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I would love to be able to put an AMD CPU again. If this can match even last gen Intel i7s in IPC at what I expect would be a lesser price then I would happily buy one (or likely it's tweaked and refined follow up) for my next upgrade.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The whole reason for the move to AM4 is to get off of AM3. It is a dying platform, they can only do so much with it.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Its impossible to calculate things this way, Instruction by cycle is something, how they are executed and what is thoses instruction is another. even the FX8350 was faster in some specific case than their Intel counterpart at this time, and largely slower in other ( whatever it was single or multi-threaded ).

WHat have been a big hit to the FX ancient generation was it was slower in game, i can tell you it dont need a 40% ipc boost for beeing back competitive in this domain. rest of consumer usage is FB, Twitter, internet.

Then for real compute benchmark, i think every one in thoses cases, dont really care about single thread performance.

A good indicator can be to look at center like the CERN who have allready contracted Zen based system. ( and testing them since a good time now )

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    AM3 was amazingly long-lived. Released in 2009 and with small revisions, is still used today. Many motherboards not compatible with AM3+ can still get BIOS updates (I would know, I have one) for newer CPUs. It's seriously time to let it die. Though, arguably, I think socket 775 lived longer.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    People really overestimate it too.

This is from their investor conference they held. They have money just fine, their "losses" are really loan payments (that they do faster) and reinvestment.

Read between the lines there, they have more than +300m per quarter really. People who usually report about them in tech sites are completely clueless in finance.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/397...an-global-technology-media-telecom-conference

12. thrasir66

thrasir66 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600 8GB
    A 'Zen' CPU on a AM4 workstation MB with DDR4 ECC ram and a
    Vega based Firepro GPU would be nice for my next CAD Machine.

13. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    you mean 6700k is 4c/8t, Zen is 8c/8t don't you I haven''t read anything that suggests 16 threads on an 8 core CPU

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    This.

Unless they can make a big splash and actually threaten Intel's sales, they are not in as advantageous a position as people want to think.

I personally hope that they will finally come back strong, but so far I have my doubts..

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    those charts dont show 2x atlest not me, none the less I cant wait to see what amd has.

16. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Tbh doesn't need to be faster than Skylake only ballpark to be successful. I'll buy one no problem if it's decently fast enough.

17. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    AMD should just lay low (no hints, no predictions, nothing at all), and then all of a sudden drop two A-bombs (performance wise), Polaris and Zen...

Sadly the opposite is going to happen

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

No, two H bombs performance wise, with Zen and Vega. AMD are already looking at +10 percent IPC per year with updated versions, first Zen+ and at least two more after that. That will last them until late 2020.

19. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    What in the world are you talking about? In what world do they have 300m per quarter. How are they paying the debt down? Their debt burden went up in Q4. You're telling me they paid back like 9% of their loan but their debt burden went up 2m?

http://cfile30.uf.tistory.com/image/275EEF44569F2AAE16EF48

What they're referring to in your quote is the cash they have on hand, this is independent from revenue. They need a minimum of 600 billion just to maintain operations for the company. They're basically telling you how much money they need in their checking account so they don't lose their house and their car. Below this number and the whole operation seizes up and they go into bankruptcy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9976/amd-reports-q4-2015-results-and-fy-2015-earnings

Here's another report on their earnings. If one segment of the business made 470m, but spent 569m to do it. And the other made 488m and spent 429 to do it...Where does this mystical 300m you're making up come from? And why didn't their debt go down?

Put to you another way, you won't find something this long at the bottom of Nvidia or Intel's earnings reports:

Read the lines. AMD is basically done. They're already preparing you for it on the investor relations section of THEIR website. Maybe its there so people who don't understand finance can get it.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I suggest you take your own advice. The points you emboldened used words like "if", "may", and "could". That document predicted results, should failure arise. It does not suggest definitive failure as you're suggesting. If it did, why would they post it? Why would they have bothered working on Zen at all?