AMD hints at standardization for external graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2016.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If it is based on PCIe technology, it shouldn't have much of an impact on CPU usage. If it's based on USB 3.x, that could be a problem, though I'd be more concerned about latency at that point. I highly doubt this can be powered through the laptop - something like this is most likely going to be plugged into a wall.

2. makaveli316

makaveli316 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I don't understand why are you bashing this idea, like it's something completely useless.
    In my opinion it's a great idea.
    Maybe i'm one of those few people who would replace the big box under my desk (even though it's mini ITX) with something a lot, a lot smaller.
    I would've done this already, but i play games from time to time and all those mini/micro systems are great for anything but video games.
    An external video card would be awesome for me.

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    I don't see why some of you think this is a bad idea.

I would love to be able to hook up an external PCIe backplane to a laptop or to a desktop for that matter.

1. - Light laptop with fast-ish processor that you take with you on trips, etc.

2. - High end desktop that you use for gaming.

So say you want to go to a friend's house or game on vacation or whatever. And maybe they even have a decent desktop or laptop but have a crappy video card.

For the desktop, if it doesn't natively support the external enclosure you could always use an add-on interface card to add that capability. Pretty much just like a riser cable/card that converts the internal PCIe slot to an external PCIe slot.

That piece would be inexpensive so you could get one for multiple computers.

Then when you go somewhere and want to have a better GPU, you just bring your GPU box along with you instead of your whole computer.

And the external GPU box would have it's own PSU so you could potentially save money on not having to have as many high power PSUs in order to use the same GPU setup on multiple computers.

You also end up with lower case temps which would help make everything else run cooler.

All around it could be a huge product if done right.

Having the same flexibility for a laptop would take a bit more work and definitely not be as cheap unless laptops start having an actual PCIe x8 or x16 slot that you can plug a card into.. like an express slot which are currently one PCIe x1.

Edit: There is already a company that makes a product that you could use for a desktop. They even have a card for external PCIE x16
    http://www.ioi.com.tw/products/prodcat_app.aspx?AppID=1008&CatID=113&HostID=2042

And another - this one actually looks like it is a better solution:
    http://www.dqsolutions.co.uk/portableexp_dock.htm

And looking at Ebay, you can get a fairly cheap setup for a laptop that supports different types of adapter cards depending on what your laptop supports. I am talking around $60 for the setup not including the power supply.

They say that it can support up to PCIEx2 depending on the laptop.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XV8.0+EXP+GDC+Beast+Laptop+External+Independent+Video+Card+Dock.TRS0&_nkw=V8.0+EXP+GDC+Beast+Laptop+External+Independent+Video+Card+Dock&_sacat=0

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I really doubt they even consider USB 3.X as there is a Thunderbolt available. It is based around PCIe and display port and has a lot better throuput and latency.

Overall I think the idea has it's uses and it would be especially cool if it's just a slot for a standard dedicated GPU.

5. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    Recently I checked out notobookreview.com and notebookcheck.net sites a lot. What I learned from them is that the biggest issues of current gaming laptops is that the speed gap between desktop cpus and mobile cpus became greater now than before, and nevertheless that mobile cpus run very hot and throttle due to high temperature. On the contrary, mobile gpus run relatively cool and there has been massive improvement of gpu performance in the last two years. Furthermore we can expect that gpu performance will be even better with Pascal. This seems to indicate that the problem of current gaming laptops is not about gpus but cpus.

If you want to run strong gpus (desktop version), you need to have strong cpus if you don't want to get cpu bottle neck. However this is not an easy task at this moment since mobile cpus are weaker than desktop cpus (mobile cpu run too hot. So you cannot even overclock mobile cpus. So the performance gap between mobile cpus and desktop cpus will be even greater). The main reason why the desktop alternative type of seriously heavy gaming laptop computers have desktop version of both cpu and gpu is that mobile cpus cannot keep up with desktop gpus. If you check out the performance of Skylake/Broadwell cpus, it is not overwhelmingly faster than cpus from previous generations even thugh it uses new 14nm technology. Therefore I can see that it will be very difficult to design fast cpus which don't dissipate a lot of heat in the near future.

I think that the current situation is like this. If you have a small laptop with a mobile core i5/i7 cpu, these mobile cpus manage to handle mobile gpus such as 960m, 970m, or 980m. However, once you connect to desktop gpus such as 980, 980Ti, or Titan-X, there will be cpu bottleneck.

The main benefit of external gpus can be to reduce noises while you play games. But again nowadays the biggest culprit of gaming laptops is cpu not gpu. Even though you use external gpu, the noise level might not decrease at all since cpu is the one which gets very hot and require strong cooling (And you can see that if you connect to strong external gpus, probably cpus will have to run much faster and generate more heat).

Unless Intel/AMD manage to design mobile cpus which run very fast and cool, I don't think that small laptop computers can provide enough power to run games sufficiently good at the high resolution which is often found on desktop arrangement (1440p, 1600p, 3k, or 4k). However, I doubt that this will happen soon since I think that cpu manufacturing starts to reach its physical limit (Intel cannot increase cpu spped per core any more. Instead they now start to increase core number such as 5960x with 8 core and a new Broadwell-e with 10 cores).

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I kind of like the idea if you can purchase one separately from the laptop if you all ready have a good decent laptop like Dell precision which has a workstation card and this can turn a workstation laptop into a gaming laptop.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The problem with laptop cpu heat is inherent in the design of a flat cooling system...highly inefficient.

A number of potential ways to resolve;

1. Less cores, more cpu's. (i.e. 2 or more cpu sockets).
    2. External CPU. (lol)
    3. Improve internal cooling methods especially contacts. e.g. higher pressure, bigger fans, better vents etc.
    4. Thicker laptops.
    5. External cooling system. (most of us have to use one of these already).
    6. GPU-only system, removing cpu. (near impossible currently).

I doubt whatever AMD comes up with will be cheap though. Still an interesting area to explore if it truly works with any laptop.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Students, workers, ... living abroad ring a bell??

They'll still game at their appartement or w/e, but this can give them more performance. Then without they take the laptop to classes.