AMD HDMI Audio dead?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Miken420, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Miken420

Miken420 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Hi guys, I use 2 HD 5770s in CFX and recently one of my AMD HDMI Audio devices stopped appearing in device manager. I literally cannot get my computer to discover it. I've tried switching the #1 and #2 cards and nothing is working. It seems like my 2nd card (newer one too) just doesn't have a HD Audio chip on it any longer.

I'm wondering is this a common thing? The video card still works fine, it just is incapable of producing audio now..

Any help on the subject would be great!

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Have you tried with just one card in the system?
    Can you inspect the card and the chips metal legs for damage.

I have 2 5770s which occasionally get some use in my spare system and they are both great apart from 1 noisy fan.
    (I only use 1 at a time, they arent that good at crossfire)

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    There are two drivers for AMD HDMI audio. There is the AMD audio driver which is probably the one you most likely have installed, and the Realtek AMD (ATI) HDMI audio driver. The latter is probably the 'better' on to use.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Isn't the Realtek driver usually for the one found on Mobility GPUs?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The latest 13.5b2 drivers seemed to install the correct HDMI audio driver for the first time in quite a few drivers for me, I had to use the Realtek one before this

6. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    Mines gone mad, if I use clone which I have been running for x amount of years my sound breaks up unless im playing something in DD, yet the second I switch to extend using the exact same audio out then my sound plays fine, ive reinstalled my comp and im using the same config I have always done its really frying my head. Its not even down to a media player its doing it on everything man my head hurts.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The audio in AMD cards is actually Realtek. The AMD driver is a basic driver, the Realtek driver is a fully-fledged driver. Supposedly, the Realtek driver is the better one to be used.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Just tried 13.5 Beta and still wouldn't install the HDMI Audio driver properly.
    Oh well. =/

9. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    It gets better at 60hz this problem exists but not at 50hz if I clone in 50hz my audio works fine like I said had the same setup for ages now and never had a days bother this makes absolute 0 sense and I only found out because a friend got exact same issue he has to set his hz to 59 I tried that and made no diff but the problem vanishes at 50hz, thought I had fixed it last night with a bios flash but looking like once again AMD done a royal screw up. So I have spent the last 2 days changing cables swapping this that and the other even reinstalling my o/s twice and its once again all down to amd don't know why I bother.:bang:

10. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    BTW we both have diff 7950,s mine MSI his is HIS I'm on x79 he's on x58 he has ONKYO amp I have pioneer and same thing happens with direct connection to my TV by passing the amp it makes 0 sense how can HERTZ rate effect audio?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats a bit nuts.
    I'd be inclined to get in touch with AMD, there may be a QC issue they arent aware of.

12. Anvi

Anvi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    If memory serves me right, 13.2 onwards broke HDMI audio. Try 13.5 b2 or 13.1.

13. poedoom

poedoom Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire hd4870
    Three of us now with all same issue my mate lowers his res to get sound wtf? is going on I am not thick with computers even been known to mod my own bios this makes 0 sense we all live within 1 mile of each other same size of area that a mother ship covers it has to be aliens lol.

PoeDooM puts his tin foil hat on!!!!

Running WIN8 perhaps an update mixed with a buggy hdmi driver who knows but its crap getting drunk with no tunes #:(