AMD HD 6990 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Beast, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Serial T.

Serial T. Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    That geektv video was exactly what I've been looking for thanks. I know my case can hold a longer Graphics card than what Antec say officially, but without a clear pic or vid showing an accurate measurement, I didn't want to risk buying a HD6990. I think I'll call my buddy at the computer joint and check stock, then buy one after work if there is one in.

2. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Any information about when AIB partners such Sapphire or HIS will make HD 6990 with custom air-cooling solution? Want one of this beast very bad :(

3. General Stalin

General Stalin Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    That EK FC6990 waterblock should be released any day now. I think I may spring for this card and the water block when it comes out.

Can anybody in here convince me that adding a 6970 to this 6990 would be worth it? I plan to run 3x monitors 5760 x 1080 with the highest image quality possible. The two PCIe slots on my motherboard run at 8x;8x in Crossfire/SLI, so the 6990 would be running at 8x and I'm not sure if that would hinder performance a considerable amount or not. I know the reviews and consensus is that the 6990 is the bomb and will hand just about everything, but I'm not 100% confident that it would run, say, Metro 2033 or Crysis at 5760 x 1080 with all the bells and whistles cranked up without lagging.

Advice/feedback would be great

4. MrBox

MrBox Guest

tri-fire would be perfect for eyefinity 3 screen @ 1080.

5. Amdgameplayer

Amdgameplayer Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd HD6970 crossfire
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. sfdmark

sfdmark New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6990
    HD 6990 flickering

Hi to all

I am an owner of a Sapphire HD 6990 for more than a month. Since the initial install (replaced my Sapphire 5970) I noticed some graphic problems like flashing textures occasionally in most games I've played. Specifically I have this issue in CoD black Ops at jungle map where there are lots of foliage etc. Researching that issue more, I found the same problem in 3dmark06, 3dmark11, Unigine Heaven benchmark etc. Doesn't really matter if it is DX9 or 10 or 11, the issue is still present. Every time crossfire kicks in, the problem is present. If crossfire is disabled using Radeon pro or running applications in window mode , the card works like a charm, but only one core is working which is not really an option.
    Initially I thought that it was a driver issue since many people reported similar problems in the past. I did everything regarding drivers, clean install, profiles etc but nothing really helped. I've also checked many times hardware connections and power sufficiency ( I have an Enermax Galaxy DxxII 1000 watts psu). So I assume its not a power issue since voltage monitoring and power draw looks pretty OK. Temperatures are in acceptable levels, at about 85ish C during stress.
    After really exhausting tests, I came up with a really strange solution: underclocking the card to lets say 750Mhz per core at default voltage (1,120), eliminates the flashing/flickering textures. Or overvoltage the card to lets say ~1,180 @ 830 MHz does work fine again.
    Problem is that if I boost it from the bios option to bios 1 (880MHZ @ 1,175 volts) I need to overvoltage it to 1,240-1,250 to get it work perfectly.
    Please also note that in one of my trials running Unigine Heaven Benchmark and while I was playing with AA settings I got the card working perfectly at default clocks/volts in all applications. I was able to reproduce that couple of times. Sud enough that lasts only up to the next reboot which the problem re-appears.

I really wonder how can you guys boost so much your core MHZ ? I would like to hear your opinions on that matter. Is anybody else experiencing similar issues? Is it a hardware fault and should I RMA it? Please respond with your ideas, all opinions are welcomed.

Regards
    Joseph

Hardware Specs
    Rampage II extreme, Intel core i7 980x @ 4 Ghz, Psu Enermax Galaxy DxxII 1000w, Sapphire HD 6990, memory 6GB OCZ at 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Case Silverstone Tj10 nvidia edition,2x SSD (120GB each) in raid 0 OCZ vertex turbo, 2x WD Velociraptor (300GB each) in raid 0, 1 Seagate 1 TB.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  7. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    I run fast bios setting and core at 1000 no flashing no problem if you card cant run default clocks then RMA it.

8. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    My 6970 just arrived so all trifired up now and did a quick 3dmark11

P13415 3DMarks

9. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    my second 6990 arrived today, gave me 14500 on stock and after I tried vantage my system bsoded and keeps bsoding when it loads in to windows, safe mode is the same:(

10. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    ok after a system reintall im able to run 3dmark 2011 and heaven benchmark np but other 3dmark like vantage, 06,05,03 give me Bsod 116...

11. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    For the same price or lower you could have got this

[​IMG]

12. sfdmark

sfdmark New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6990
    @John Dolan

You r right. I did RMA the card, definitely was something wrong with it. The problem was also reproduced in an other pc (at the service store) and I got a brand new Sapphire which runs perfectly.

13. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
  14. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
  15. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:

16. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
  17. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    I'm luvin the power but the HEAT is driving me mad.

All my rig is in my sons room and we dont need to put the heating on in his room since buying the HD6990:)

61c at desktop
    86c under load
    Fans a FAR too noisy.

But it destroys the GTX590 I had.

r.

18. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    at what clocks are those load temps and what fan settings?
    your running far to hot for a single 6990 thats not highly OCed
    my 2x6990s are idling at 43, 48 while watching a hd movie and 83 after a heavy OC 1040/1500, thats all with the fans on auto and they dont go over 55%. Im Using a HAF 932 with an extra 140mm fan on top of the hdd cage.

19. syncore

syncore Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    Honestly, I'm not sure about all the noise complaints. Maybe my card is just defective? Because with the OC switch set to either 1 or 2, this card practically runs silent on my computer even after 2 hours of BC2. I don't think the fan is even going above 40%. Naturally, I'm concerned about this so I re-installed Afterburner and setup a fan profile just to make sure the fan settings on my card weren't broken. Maybe I can't hear this card because I have several case fans, I don't know, but the only time it is really "loud" like everyone complains about is when afterburner is running and managing the card's fans. My OC'd 5970 was a LOT louder than this

20. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    HaHa my PC room has me and my son's PC so we have 6 video cards and 6 monitors and I tell ya there is lots of HEAT!