AMD HD 6990 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Beast, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    No way the 590 beats this, the excuse mill is already running at full speed. Now Nvidia of all people are worried about going over 350 watts? No way! Nvidia's power hunger gpu's dont go very well on 1 card....mark my words they have no chance with reference cooling.

2. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I'm happy to see AMD taking steps to stop people from RMAing everything in sight for usually all the wrong reasons, like not overclocking good enough, ect. I've been pointing this out for over a year now, appealing for some better control over this since I figured estimated costs to not only AMD, but everyone in between them and the the final retailer. Not to mention revenue loss due to employee time paid, and the costs just go on and on. Hinders real progress in the industry, ruins efficiency, ect. This is just the first step, but I applaud AMD for recognizing this was hurting them and trying to slow it without hindering everyone else who is honest like DRM did to honest gamers.

"AMD initially implemented the feature likely to prevent the RMA rate. They know very well that the enthusiast community often re-flashes their cards, often unsuccessfully after which they enter a very expensive RMA procedure at AMD's cost."

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    F12010 or ...
    DA2 maybe ? ... it's a joke but i don't know if it's the fault of AMD ( backfire ) or just a nvidia driver problem, but well, perf are just crazy on the AMD, and completely unplayable on the Nvidia one ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    That card makes so much noise it's just not worth the price premium over two more quietly cooled 6950/6970. The only way I'd buy it would be with an aftermarket cooler like Accelero Extreme.

5. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Agree, it's mega fast but just too damn noisy. I'm pretty sure the 590 will be 10% slower, but a hell of a lot quieter.

Definitely rather something quieter and a little bit slower.

6. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    for some $ more, buy the Sapphire Toxic 6990 ( 900mhz if the infos are still valid) or the Asus who are coming soon.. if you want perf+quiet.

Anyway i have try the card in a friend shop... ofc in a well ventilated case ( pre order, i have test the card for the future owner for coil whine sound ( nice excuse ), huum in normal condition, the sound is not so much a problem, but ofc under Furmark, this things start to be really loud ... It's not perfect, but not so bad i have read in some reviews, ofc it's a dual gpu card, you can't imagine it will end as quiet of a standard GPU.

Anyway even if don't think yet take this card, not a problem for me as i watercool all my GPU's till 6+ years.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. Maspast

Maspast Member

GPU:
    RADEON HD7970 Double D
    I bought a 6990 on launch and here are my experiences

Performance:
    Amazing performance as I would expect from a £550+ graphics card, insane FPS on ANY game you throw at it.

Temp/Noise:
    I played Crysis 2 demo (hardcore settings) when fan is on auto the fan would go up to 50% and higher, then when the temperatures fall then the fan goes quiet and the process just repeats itself.. the problem with this?
    VERY HOT and the NOISE LEVELS IS LIKE A HOOVER SUCKING YOU OFF!

It was so loud it was unbearable for me, so I used manual fan control to 37% and temperatures after 10-15mins of Crysis 2 demo went to 105c+.

The heat sink & fan are absolutely **** for this card, its way too loud if you want to cool the card or if you want comfortable noise levels by adjusting the fan speed manually your going to have insane heating issues.

I sent the graphics card back and awaiting an after market cooler version or see how well the GTX 590 does.

8. Martypants

Martypants Member

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Plat 5870 2Gb
    Got mine yesterday morning (Saturday) and have just noticed its 5:02 AM on Sunday, where did the night go ?

Anyhoo, the card.

I got Sapphires incarnation of it and I'm fairly impressed so far, whacked the card in me case and chucked in the 11.4 preview drivers, no problems and all as it should be.

It replaced a Sapphire 5970 so the improvement in framerates isn't massive but its there, what I've noticed most is an improvement in image quality, seems to be much more detail on the screen and colours seem more vivid, been walking about in games staring at walls and trees and rocks etc thinking, "never noticed that before".

The downside is that this is a hot card, luckily for me I'd already set my case up to keep a 5970 cool (Corsair 700D with 10 Fans) the fans doing the donkey work for the card are a 140 mm in the base of the case and a 200 mm in the side panel and another 140 mm mounted on meccanno (I know I know) to shove the air straight up at that squirrel blower of a fan in the card itself.

Temps are at 39 degrees idle and the highest I've seen are 76 degrees underload with its fan at 39%, but I reckon if those extra fans weren't there the bugger would be touching the top 80's, if there was ever a candidate for a waterblock, this is it.

For me its a keeper, so I'm gonna have a bit of kip and then format my rig and chuck a fresh and crispy install of Win7/64 at it and call it finished.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  9. gaul

gaul Active Member

GPU:
    well, i can't say anything, just SS :

[​IMG]

10. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    All ATI6990 users please advise.

I have a 5970 and am looking to buy a 6990 or a 590.

Will I see a big difference in performance if I go with a 6990 ?
    Are you happy with your purchase?
    What PSU are you using?
    Will I need to upgrade my PSU?

Sorry, but I would rather here it from an actual user then a review

You can PM me if you prefer

11. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    I was about to pull trigger on the 6990. But then I checked out the 2x6970 and realised that this would be a better setup.

Going from a 5970, the performance step-up is sometimes huge when the crossfire is at its best and again IQ was definitely improved from the 5series, even in 2D.

2x6970 always pulls ahead of 6990 sometimes by a noticeable margin in all benchmarks and has ended up being 30GBP cheaper than 6990.

Cooling ofc is very important, I am however surprised by the reports that the card is THAT noisy on auto fan settings, which makes me believe I really have done the right thing.

I sandwiched the two cards ,the trick is of-course to force space between them and I have done so with the sheathed cable coming from the PSU ,about half an inch thick, once in place the temps dropped DRAMATICALLY from 104C to 78C under load, the cards still go through heat-up, cool-down along with the fan, but I can hardly notice it with the headset on.

You will probably have to lose the Xonar with this setup, which is what I had to do (and its painful) which is the biggest con for me, other than that I don't think I can recommend 6990 on AIR unless 590 ends up being noisier/slower.

However with a well thought-out dual 6970s you will outperform 590 from the get-go and will almost definitely come close to whatever the next-gen SKU will be (28nm) in terms of performance but not heat unfortunately as 28nm process should definitely end up cooler.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  13. Amdgameplayer

Amdgameplayer Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd HD6970 crossfire
    what drivers are you using with your crossfire?

14. Amdgameplayer

Amdgameplayer Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd HD6970 crossfire
  15. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    11.4 previews at the moment, I am a heavy BFBC2 player and these are a marvel to behold.

16. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    Would this card be fine inside a CM690, on a TX650. What worries me are the temperatures. My ambient room temperatures in the summers would be around 33-34C.

Also the side panel has a Scythe (intake) and back exhaust is Scythe too. Both max out to 3000 RPM.

How would system fare with the Q9550 running at 3.85. How much of a change from HD4890 Xfire...?

17. agelosLX

agelosLX Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 OC 2 GB

You won't be able to fit the 6990 inside a CM690 mate! I was trying to fit a 5970 in the same chassis last year and I ended up selling it for a Cosmos....From what I've read the 6990 is exactly the same size with the 5970(maybe a bit longer) so forget it. Even if you mod your case, you will be encountering heat issues so my piece of advice is to get yourself a full tower if you're planning to buy a 6990! Besides that, I dont think your PSU will manage to hold the 6990 in high levels of gpu load...so you need a massive upgrade in your rig imho.

18. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    look on CM site the dimension of your case and see review of the 6990 and watch if you can fit ...... if not check if your case allow you to move 90°C the HDD case you will be able to do it ( HAF 912 )... maybe remove the HDD case can be enough too ( HAF type too but depend the model )

well guys/girls don't come here ask if it will fit, go on constructor of your case site and.. and check lol ..

well we need do the same of you, we don't have necessary your case ( or spec in mind ) and so we will go in the site , then come back for tell you yes or no ..... We are happy to help you and lost a bit of time, but please, if you can, do it yourself .

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  19. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 FuryX 4GB HBM
    no chance, the gpu room on the CM690 II is 30.5cm the hd5970 is 30.9cm (or something close) the hd6990 is the same or a bit longer, you won't be able to get it inside..i was aware of this when i got my case..but it seems that nvidia's gtx590 is shorter, about 2.5cm shorter, so that card will fit..

so if you really want a dual gpu (and you don't wanna change the case) i'd say go for a gtx590, but you would still have to change the PSU and probably the cpu, a core i7 SB will be the best solution if you are in a hurry, if not, you can wait for bulldozer(which i recommend).

20. Andeby

Andeby Active Member

GPU:
    AMD HD6990 4GB
    Still waiting for mine, very excited. :D