AMD HD 6990 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Beast, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    This thread is dedicated to HD 6990 owners where they can share their experience with the card and show off with pics and list some gameplay vids.:biggun:

2. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Whoaaa...
    Still no one i think ,except hilbert hagedoorn

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    did you order one Beast ?

4. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    No not yet, I'm waiting to see what others think of the card after owning it.

I may even hold out until the GTX 590 comes out, if it proves to be more expensive without much of a performance increase I'll get the HD 6990.

5. Zom51

Zom51 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    I was about to get 6990 too.. but I am going to see how gtx 590 turns out then its either 6950cf or others.

6. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    It's the best to do in all fashion... 590 is coming soon, so it will be nice to wait it, and then many AIB for both brands ( Evga, Sapphire, XFX ) will get their own model, with different core/ram speed, cooling solution. etc.. it's urgent to wait, don't let your credit card jump of your pocket .

Im sure the fight will be on AIB cards, most of any reference models.

7. robotman

robotman Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7970 1150/6400(R9280X)
    bring on the asus ares 2 or whatever asus will call it :p

8. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    700+ bones, check them out on newegg, this was after I checked his review, probably out of stock now, give a shot. buy 2 and waterkool thoses sob's.

Personally I would wait till a price drop or when the so called gtx 590 comes out, see how it performs, power consumption,etc then decide.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    6990 with 99% GPU Bug on 11.4 would be great.

10. Andypandy1991

Andypandy1991 Master Guru

GPU:
    3 x gtx 580's PNY
    You really are obsessed arent u:p:p?
    I feel you:)
    Anyways
    I am waiting got gtx 590 cause 3dvision attracts me

11. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    680 FTW+ 4GB OC
  12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    For be fair about the price, shop have increase the msrp a lot, just for surf on it and make some money on early buyers ...

+ the price will go down then, i think AMD have place it high for be able to break it a bit when the 590 will go out .. ( not cause performance comparaison, i think the 6990 will not have to be ashamed, even if it's slower, it's some fps at more ) they will be able to play on the price pressure a little bit.

13. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    "This thread is dedicated to HD 6990 owners where they can share their experience with the card and show off with pics and list some gameplay vids."

Not Im going to wait to see what the 590 does........ Come on people read the thread title.

14. MrBox

MrBox Guest

I'm ordering a Sapphire 6990 off newegg right now. Sapphire & Powercolor are in stock at the moment, limit 2 per customer. Time to pick one up before they're ALL sold out.

I will post pics and compare it to my dual 6950's when it arrives :D

15. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    any overclocking results??? Anyone planning for watercooling??

hows the vrms temps?? compared to the 6970???

I am very curious, thanks.

16. CrArC

CrArC New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6990
    I'm using an HD 6990, so here's my impressions:

- This card is mental. It's gigantic. It's heavy. You could probably kill someone with it, and it would still work afterwards.

- It's silent for the first few minutes of gameplay. Then the cores breach 80 degrees, and the fan ramps up to 50% at some arbitrary point between 83 and 88 degrees Celcius. Then it is the polar opposite of silent. But wait! There's more; manually crank the fan to 100% by accident (setting fan profiles in Afterburner) and you can experience it's full fury. I think a hair dryer is quieter. Luckily in game you're rarely going to push the fan beyond 50-60%, but keep in mind it still measures over 50dBc in a foot's radius from a closed case.

- The BIOS switch has less effect that you'd hope. For me, it is not worth the massive increase in power draw.

- PowerTune is interesting, but it's hard to tell when it kicks in or not. The best example I could find was 3DMark Vantage's Perlin Noise test, which benches vaguely 220FPS at -20% PowerTune, 270FPS at neutral PowerTune and 363.77FPS at +20% PowerTune, where powertune will make little (if any) attempt to reign back the card's clockspeeds to keep it within its TDP. For such a hot, power hungry card it's best to leave PowerTune at neutral (it seems to have almost no effect in games or benchmarks I've tried so far).

- Above issues aside, it is biblically fast, so long as the screen res is sufficient and the game in question reasonably taxing on an average card. Some weird behaviour in Metro 2033 (which I've heard can irritate PowerTune but should be negligible for FPS) where it seems lower FPS than I'd hoped. Total War: Shogun 2 makes no use of it whatsoever. It idles at 30% utilisation, at between 25-35FPS depending on settings.

17. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Now all you need is some Biblically awesome AAAA+ titles to play. ;p

18. CrArC

CrArC New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6990
    Haha, I agree! Suggestions welcome! :nerd:

19. gbooster

gbooster Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac 1080gtx
    I wonder how long until a MSI twin frozer or a ASUS Direct CU II version of the 6990 is released?

I'm holding out until then.

20. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    I've got a thread on the ATI Drivers section (accidental knee jerk post in wrong section) about my experience with the card, over all great bar the high pitch static hiss I experienced and hopefully only a few minor cases of this as I'm ordering a replacement.

Bit dissapointing plus the 6 to 8 week RMA process.

-smc