AMD Hawaii GPU might launch on September 25

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2013.

1. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Thats only because amd drivers were not up to par back then. Geez

3. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    You would take a 7850 over a 580?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Less heat, less power consumption, more VRAM and similiar performance.

I would take 7850 over 580.

5. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Have to agree there, no matter how much people (including myself) threw around the 2gb and 256-bit bus width they don't really negate performance until you use over 2gb of Vram in which a single card solution is getting iffy to begin with. So while in the niche Multimonitor/high resolution realm it does come into play for 99% of the gamers out there it isn't a problem.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    no why would I? I already have a 580. and both the 7850 and 580 are slower than 680 sli :bonk:

8. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Similar but not equal. The 580 is definitely faster.

Thanks.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    To be priced well below 780 according to Fudz.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32199-amd-hawaii-will-be-priced-below-us-$600

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090

11. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They won't price it too low unless it's not very good, would be idiotic of them to make it $100 cheaper than a GTX780 unless it's slower.

I really hope i'm wrong though, cheaper than a 780 while being faster and also including a tidy game bundle would be just what i've been waiting for after 18 months of waiting.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep, maybe they want to sell it in volume rather than just to the enthusiast. I mean they restructured their pricing lately and lowered the price of the current 7000 series probably to make room for the new card. If they can match or beat out a 780 and still have room left for overclocking for even more performance so it could potentially rival TITAN whilst still being cheaper than a 780 and coming with a game bundle... BF4 anyone? These cards would sell like hotcakes so they might be taking a slight profit loss on the cards at launch (still making a profit but a small one) in order to appeal more and sell in higher volume meaning more cards sold and more profits. VERY RISKY move, but it might just work. Their stocks would shoot up with this announcement.

Though I feel that Nvidia is making the wiser and better decision in focusing on the mobile side in terms of Tegra. Tegra4 is simply insane with that 2-3W full load and able to run a shrunken down version of Ira demo that still looks breathe taking and shocking for a phone. AMD will get a shed ton of money from consoles but nowhere near as much as Nvidia will get with Tegra4 rumored to be in the Samsung S5 and even possibly the Iphone 5S/6. Making it possible for them to pure more money into R&D for their high end desktop/server cards.

14. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    $100 less isn't necessarily a bad thing if it faster, slightly cheaper and faster they would sell a hell of a lot more than if it was the same price. Time will tell though, if its faster I'll buy one, I just hope they over clock like the 7970. Anyhow kinda wondering when maxwell will come out?

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I doubt AMD would take the chance to sell these at anywhere near cost, as you said that is very risky.

I do think as you said the game bundles will make or break the card, it's not a game i'm that interested in myself but BF4 would be a huge title to launch the card with.

I know very little about Tegra though, other than 3 being abit all over the place in my HTC One X, i have heard alot of hype about 4 though.

Illnino, true but they don't want to eat into profits too much or as per above sell too close to cost.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The Tegra that ran the Ira demo (not full blown) at supposedly 2-3W is not Tegra 4. That's Wayne, I'm guessing Tegra 5.

Pass the shaker, though, it's unlikely there's such a drastic jump. Tegra 2 & 3 underperformed compared to the competition, and Tegra 4 still did not manage to appeal much to phone & tablet vendors, so fill that shaker please.

IF they do manage to pull it off, well then...hats off, really. Sprinkle a bit over here, you missed that spot, thanks.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think it will be ~ 20-35% faster then full GK110 with 15SMX, that's about it. Still not bad though considering its first refresh and ~550$ seems fair, it wont be faster then 7990 at 699$.

I wonder what that real VI would be like with 4096?cores,.. U4E, luminous gfx ready for sure, nvm BF4, Crysis3 :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Good, more competition needed to get them prices down.

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Now those are fancy. Xfire bridges also please :D

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I can't see why it wouldn't rival Titan if its around 780 performance, as the 780 is around Titan performance, its only about 5% (if that) slower isn't it ?, and when the 780 came out not long after Titan, everyone was saying how Titan owners were ripped, as they could have got the same performance out of the much cheaper 780.