AMD Haven't Updated Driver Files In Over 6 Months

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Quejikos, May 31, 2015.

1. Quejikos

Quejikos Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Why haven't AMD updated their driver files in over six months (since Omega 14.12)? Don't try to tell me they're updating the driver without the file versions changing because that's not how software development works. I don't care about unofficial leaks, by the way. If it's not on AMD.com, it's meaningless. All they seem to be doing is adding insignificant CAP/Catalyst Application Profiles (which used to be separate downloads) for every driver "update" after Omega.

Note: I wasn't referring to WHQL. All drivers from AMD since Omega have the same file versions (Direct3D, Mantle, etc. which are listed in Information > Software section of Catalyst Control Center), including the latest 15.5 beta. My point is that AMD seemingly abandoned driver development for Windows 8/7 more than six months ago, and they've been rehashing the same driver since. Their focus now appears to be on Windows 10 drivers, which is fine, if it hadn't come at the cost of sub-par drivers/performance for Windows 8/7 users for so long...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    They have beta drivers all the time.

WHQL certification doesn't mean **** Nvidia released WHQL drivers that literally broke GPU's in the past.

And they are doing a huge overhaul on drivers AMD's Tiger team has increased draw calls 50%.

3. TestDrivers

TestDrivers Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

You can see by this chart by fish (http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5085022&postcount=12), that there are real changes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    All WHQL means is that they pay Microsoft a fee for the drivers to be tested by Microsoft (on a limited set of hardware, giving the fact of the number of parts out there), and then officially released. This isn't really cost effective, epecially since they can just effectively release official drivers as 'beta'. Nvidia are doing the same thing.

At the moment, the main focus is on Windows 10 drivers, not Windows 8.1 etc drivers. This is completely fair, since all Windows 7 and 8 users get Windows 10 for free. Nvidia are doing the same thing. So, for the most part, updates to Windows 7/8.1 drivers won't be huge. In future, after Windows 10 is released, the Windows 7/8.1 drivers will be maintained for workstation use, but not for gaming.

Complain all you want, but this is absolutely and completely fair, and it would actually be stupid and a waste of resources for AMD, and Nvidia, to do otherwise. They would also be partly pressured by Microsoft NOT to encourage people to stick with Windows 7 or 8.1.

You would have to be a combination of being and idiot, being stupid, and being a stubborn pr!ck to be complaining about not getting frequent updates for drivers after Windows 10 is released, if you stick with Windows 7/8.1. You get Windows 10 for free, yet stick with Windows 7 and 8.1, then complain about not getting updates, which are available to you under Windows 10?... Just putting that out there!

5. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    They have improved DX11 API overhead by around 40% what is translated in around REAL 10% improvement using modded drivers (?).

The Tiger Team is focused in other market different than gaming customers:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Catalyst-Tiger-Team

We are left in the wild with the "regular" Pussycat Team. :D

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    If you stay in WHQL drivers you have a problem,from nv era maybe.
    Dont have trouble with beta drivers since 2012-2013(maybe).
    All beta drivers give performance related to old drivers or old Whql drivers.So give beta driver a chance and install them.
    Good luck. :)

7. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Thats it.. lets just quit..toss out the cards.. pick up a book go out side.. whos with me! :)

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Or shutdown the computer and have 8 good hours of sleep like me...ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

9. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060ti
    I get what your saying, but you have to think outside the "official" sometimes for best results. Right now the 1023.0 mod are the best for me. Everyone's setup is different though so you never know, but you might be missing out though.

10. Dygaza

Dygaza Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    This is one of the classic examples why AMD really should get rid of beta tittle in drivers. Only causes confusion, when people think they're lesser drivers in some way.

Newsflash - there is no such thing as final driver, as there's always room to improve. And therefore every driver, WHQL or SUPERDUPERUBER-driver certified by god himself should be threated as beta.

11. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yeah agree. Beta drivers doesn't mean actually beta. i get people tuning me beta is a load of crap and never works lol. I just tune them it can't do any harm to pc you get the 1 or 2 times but that they always fix by going back a driver. WHQL is not much better than Beta drivers anyway. but heck I'm not going to argue with them cause in the end it's about my performance and experience.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Let me mention here again the famous NVIDIA 196.75 WHQL drivers that burned the laptop of one of my friends. :D

13. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

:banana:

Maybe they spent all their hiring budget money on a few people and ended up short on having some left over for someone to deal with us peasants.

:D

14. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
  15. Dygaza

Dygaza Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Didn't people said that they are cpu bound mostly in project cars? Not much AMD can do with optimising their per game tweaks. They need to get that overhead down, which is will most likely require bigger changed to whole driver architechture. Especially if they wanna get DX MT working.

16. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    You guys want to play Project Cars with an AMD GPU? Wait for the DX12 patch and the RTM version of Windows 10.

If you don't like it, you should know who to blame for this. And no, it's not AMD's fault.

17. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    It is your fault then, you are the one who made the game run like crap on amd. Guys after him! :D

18. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    :roll::scream::no:

19. Quejikos

Quejikos Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    I wasn't referring to WHQL. All drivers from AMD since Omega have had the same file versions (Direct3D, Mantle, etc.), including the latest beta (15.5).

20. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Lol ... we have to wait on DX12 because AMD's DX11 perfomance is ****?
    And it is not AMD's fault their DX11 perfomance is that bad compared to nvidia?
    What about all the games that will never get DX12?

I ask this because i disagree with you.
    Yeah dev's choose to use Gameworks and THAT is bad.
    But they use it because NVIDIA works with them.(Paid or not it doesn't matter)
    Un like AMD who will only start working with dev's when it's way too late.(W3,Project Cars,Elite Dangerous, remember Dying Light?)
    May it be a triple A dev or a smaller one, like frontier development.(Elite Dangerous CFX anyone?)
    And i'm not even taking ubi in account as they are terrible dev's.

Edit:
    On another note.
    What the hell even happened to Omega phase 2?(Remember the promises?)
    AMD really dropped the ball big time.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015