AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. E71

E71 New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Not so long ago, they forced me to update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, which was a huge pain due to how much software I need installed on my machine and the amount of post-installation configuration which they require.

This is the second time they're doing this to me, yet it's even worse than before, because I actually have tried installing Windows 10 on a separate drive to test it out but thanks to issues with the network stack and incompatibility with some of my hardware, I do not have the option of updating to Windows 10.

My 1 year old GPU (RX 480 GB) is now no longer going to receive updates to smooth out performance issues and graphical glitches in the latest games, all because I refuse to jump onto that broken, spyware-filled over-hyped Windows 10 or back to that old AF Windows 7 (which isn't fully supported by some of my apps).

It's funny reading people's comments about "great" things that should entice you to switch to Windows 10, like DX12. LOL. I guess they don't spend much time checking out benchmarks to see how much worse most games run under Windows 10 than 8.x, DX12 instead of DX11, etc.

After 12 or more years of sticking with AMD, I'm now seriously considering switching to its competitor, whom I have loathed for a very long time due to their ill business practices. That's how much I hate AMD right now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    JuanPC and colesdav like this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Post them. Dont just blabber unsubstantiated claims.

quick search brings up these benches...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/294...nchmarks-show-a-close-battle-for-fastest.html
    https://hothardware.com/reviews/windows-10-vs-windows-8-game-performance?page=1

Always amusing when people state incorrect things that would be HUGE NEWS if they were true but easily searchable to show the contrary. DX11 runs no better on win 8 than 10. DX12 only concerns win 10, so win 8 doesnt apply. AMD does better with DX12 than DX11, Nvidia not as well. DX12 is still being optimized and can only improve over time, its not to do with the OS, but the API. Your claims re win8 vs win10 are not grounded in reality. Yes, its an inconvenience to be forced to move to an OS you dont like, but dont use non-factual criteria or misinfo to show your frustrations with it.

Redemption80 likes this.
  3. E71

E71 New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Alanm, I'm recalling information from memory regarding Windows 10 performance. Information I googled a long time ago (close to two years ago) which led me to make a mental note to avoid Windows 10. Your wording sound accusatory, insinuating I'm deliberately spreading misinformation. I gain nothing from doing so.

Let's get a few things clear first:

I know DX12 is simply an API and not the OS but given how it's exclusive to one OS (Windows 10) and is a feeble attempt to lure gamers over to said OS, it can pretty much be considered a part of it. As for progress, they've likely made some since release but with the exception of few examples such as that new Forza racing game, which really mostly (only?) benefits AMD, it hasn't yet reached the point where it's a must have for any gamer and enough to entice people to upgrade:

http://tinyurl.com/dx11-vs-dx12 (Example benchmarks that show 2-3 fps gain on some AMD cards, while NVIDIA cards drop as much as 20fps, going from DX11 to DX12. Note: Forum software didn't allow link for some reason so I had to shorten it.)

^ There, since you're so uptight about people not citing their sources even though this is suppose to be an informal discussion forum.

I never said it does. Maybe I need to have worded something better?

The benchmarks I recall seeing pointed to performance in Windows 10, with regards to everything from boot times to (DX11) gaming performance being slightly worse or at best about the same. If my memory is wrong or things have changed over the last two years, my making an untrue statement is accidental. Yet, the first part of my statement is still true, about DX12 -- a Windows 10 advertisement tool that doesn't yet deliver, even if the second part isn't.

Still, given the freshly googled results, even the conclusions of those links you've provided don't particularly scream any worthy performance gain either. The results are so close, the difference can be a result of any variables that can affect benchmark results and even if they are accurate, then a couple of fps gain isn't enough to justify an upgrade from 8.1.

HotHardware's conclusion: "So, should gamers dive in and upgrade to Windows 10? That depends. Our tests results show, there is no added performance gain [...]"

With that, I'm going to exit this discussion. I have a habit of ending up in long back and forth discussions that consume too much of my time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It sounds abit like you are just ignoring anything that shows any benefit, while focusing on anything that shows anything negative, and even as an Nvidia card owner i see the benefits of W10 and DX12.

It's a bit like a console owner pointing to a badly ported game and stating that is the reality of every PC game.

AFAIK W7 is still being supported driver wise by AMD, move back to that if you want driver support and hate W10.
    The fact you like an unpopular OS is irrelevant, and AMD should not waste resources on it.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Turns out you can install the Windows 7 driver on Windows 8.1 without having to do anything fancy to get it installed... it just strait up works like normal.

Don't bother arguing with anyone about Windows 10, you have your opinion and that is what matters to you.

6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+RX580 8GB OC
    LOL at all you dinguses dissing Windows 10 just because you don't like a few things it does things that can be easily stopped using O&O shut up 10, ya know if some of you just learned to use whatever search engine you like and input How to turn off this or that in windows 10 all your problems would be sorted https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 there ya go I just made it easy for you

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    Cant believe this childish....i hate windows 10 rant is still going on.

StewieTech likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm a Linux user and even I prefer W10 over 8.1, largely due to the fact that it works better for my needs.

What I don't understand is if you have hardware old enough that doesn't work in W10, why do you have hardware new enough that requires it?

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    No point supporting Windows 8.1 directly due to the user base. Windows 7 drivers should still work but you won't have DirectX 11.2 support. Even AMD's competitors won't support it for long, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually Windows 7 drivers.

10. colesdav

colesdav New Member

GPU:
    R9 Nano

I am glad you find this situation amusing. I do not.

AMD should not drop support for Windows 8.1 OS before the end of Microsoft Extended Support for Wiindows 8.1 64bit.
    They dropped support for this OS over 5 years early, on the quiet.
    They did not even mention it during the launch of the AMD Crimson ReLive 17.7.2 Driver before RX Vega launch.
    On what basis is that the correct thing to do?
    Because it is more convenient for them?
    Because they can't be bothered?
    Because they do not honor commitment to their Customers?

Many people use Microsoft Product Lifecycle to plan their investment in hardware and OS.
    My R9 Nano GPU was advertised in the specification to support Windows 8.1 64bit, along with that, there are Windows 8.1 64 bit stickers on the GPU box.
    My reasonable expectation is I should receive driver support for my GPU on Windows 8.1 64bit OS until the end of Microsoft Extended Support which is January 10, 2023.
    Many AMD Users are still out there buying RX480's which are reasonably new, not knowing that Windows 8.1 64bit OS is not supported.

Just because you do not use that OS or you are not in the ~ 6-12% of people still using Windows 8.1 64bit does not mean AMD dropping support like this is OK.

I have tested one of my systems last week, not just read some old articles on the WEB.

I have tested AMD Crimson ReLive Windows 10 64bit 17.9.3 Drivers running clean Windows 10 64 bit OS on i7-4790K with Single and Dual and Triple R9 Nano.
    I compared Game mode on and off. All Privacy Settings set to "Tell Microsoft Nothing". All background processes switched off.
    I then swapped out the hard drive to a clean version of Windows 8.1 64bit
    I then tested Amd Crimson ReLive Windows 8.1 64bit 17.4.4 WHQL Drivers running the Windows 8.1 64 bit OS on i7-4790K with Single and Dual R9 and Triple R9 Nano.

On my system, on every benchmark and game I have tested so far, Windows 8.1 DX11 performs better than Windows 10 DX11.

I get higher 3D Mark Firestrike scores, for example. I see 2-3 higher FPS on many games I have tested.

The difference in perfomance is only one aspect though. The real problem is I see no new updates for my cards on Windows 8.1 64bit any more.
    So new games like PREY for example will not run in Crossfire at all on Windows 8.1 64bit. I will not see any new GPU Driver Features now.

Now you are going to tell me that I should just run Windows 10 64bit, and my answer is no.
    I have my own reasons why I want to and need to stay on Windows 8.1 64bit on this machine.
    The Z97 motherboard does not completely support Windows 10, for example.
    No one should be forced onto Windows 10 if they do not want to use it.

Any AMD user running Windows 8.1 64bit OS who needs a new GPU should just buy an Nvidia Card as that is the only supported driver available.
    I think AMD need to hire more people and support Windows 8.1 64bit OS until the end of the Windows 8.1 64bit Extended Support period.

It is not like AMD are in a great position in the Gaming GPU market right now where they can afford to annoy their existing user base.
    Look at the latest Steam Hardware Survey.
    They are now down to 17.1% market share on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    lucidus likes this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure where you thought I was amused by it. Indifferent, yes, amused, no, since it doesnt register as anything worthy on my amusement scale.

Again, your inferring something that is entirely groundless re I think its 'OK' for AMD to drop support for it. I dont care if they support it or not. I think the proper term would be apathy.

I'm telling you nothing of the sort. Couldnt care what OS you run.

I only responded to the previous person who stated that gaming benchmarks run "much worse under Windows 10 than 8.x". That in my view is a fallacy and I provided links/resources to show that is not the case. Now, you are saying "I have tested one of my systems last week, not just read some old articles on the WEB". That is priceless. An anonymous unknown person states in a first post on a forum that we should take his word over well known sites who report otherwise. As if reputable sites do not have to worry about accountability or credibility in what they publish (unlike anonymous forum posters). Again, priceless. FFS, anyone can claim anything if they have no accountability for what they say.

You need to prove it by providing links to known sites that back up your claims. Just your 'say so' doesnt amount to very much, believe me. I mean, wtf.. 'Hey, I ran the 100m dash in 3 secs'.. its true because I said so. :D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    You can install the Windows 7 driver on Windows 8.1, I can confirm it works just fine... I am currently running Windows 8.1 and using 17.9.3 WHQL and I must say it is the best my video card has ever run.

13. JuanPC

JuanPC New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    call me crazy, but i think people with W7 should move to W8.1 instead. LOL. Jajajajajajaja

W8.1 runs so smooth here, its crazy to think going back to W7. its possible to Downgrade Free of charge.
    Upgrading is more $$ + Vega RX 64 = Better Buy Nvidia 1080Ti. LOL. Jajajajajajaja
    AMD mathematics are F.u.c.k..You. LOL. Jajajajajajajaja
    Also someone complaining on Youtube, about RX Vega Linux Ubuntu Drivers being sh!t, Kernel blablabla...

i wanted to try FreeBSD or TrueOS, seems plans have changed. LOL. Jajajajajajaja

Yahoo Mail App also does not work in W8.1, but Yahoo account works with standard Mail App.

14. JuanPC

JuanPC New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
  15. JuanPC

JuanPC New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    there is also a very nice article on forbes...why-microsoft-is-giving-away-windows-10-to-pirates

so the logic is;
    57% of the world is Pirate...

Microsoft decided to give Free Windows1O to pirates...
    but None upgraded, LOL. Jajajajaja

and AMD supports Pirates. LOL. Jajajajajajaja

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I googled Jajajajajajaja to figure out what it means.. turns out it means Jajajajajajaja.

Redemption80 likes this.