AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    another topic dderailed and destory cause people keep harping on win 10 "telemetry"

People need to just unplug cord or shut it there price to pay for the convenience of internet and ever thing being connected, and that price will never change. so just drop it

Take your whining about to one the many topic dedicated to people whining about it and let this topic get back on track, mods should be doing house keeping on topics they get derailed in this complaint about win10 in first place consider how often it happens

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Theres a big difference between THAT and windows telemetry. By conflating the two, you attain tin-foil hatter status.

So is your argument against telemetry... or govts spying on their own people? Two entirely different arguments, the latter a pub topic maybe.

Ah.. so you seem to recognize what telemetry may involve. Yet you spout off about NSA, Trump and Putin as if its somehow tied in with it.

Once you begin using the OS you agree to the conditions and fine print that govern its usage. You seem p'off in assuming MS is doing things beyond your legal agreement with them or without your consent. By using the OS, you have given them your consent for telemetry to function along with it.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Well, if not moving from win 8.1 to 10 is due to telemetry for some, then it cant help being dragged into the discussion.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, lots about government spying but not really anything about W10.

You can't have the best of both worlds, you want to use a public service like the Internet then don't complain that you have no privacy.

As for Twitter prosecutions, I do object from a freedom of speech point of view, but then again I disagree with the anonymity the Internet brings as it just fuels the spineless.

It's crazy that this thread is actually just about AMD cutting costs, but is actually about this nonsense.
    Personally, I don't have complaints about products I use as I don't use products that cause me to complain.

People nowadays are just whiny children, not happy unless they are unhappy about something/everything.
    The tech world are some of the worst, SJWs for the geek world lol.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The problem here is that nearly every person bitching about privacy issues, has a smartphone. It makes little sense for people to bitch and whine about MS collecting telemetry, when Google and Apple are collecting a lot more information through Android and iOS (respectively).
    Google and Apple use Android and iOS (respectively) to collect user data.... Why is it that people only whine about MS doing it?

Android tracks physical location....which can be far more dangerous than web browsing activity...

I wonder how many of the people whining about MS "spyware" have an Android or iOS phone....or a Google Home or Amazon Echo.... Or use any one of the social media sites that attempt to track everything you do, even after you leave their page.

6. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I must be a source of frustration for people like heffeque, i go out of my way to make sure my phone can track every second of my day.

7. ocsystem

ocsystem Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070Ti
    I personally don't care about MS what data they collect. my main reason was win10 was way too slow booting/shutting as compare to 8.1.

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970

Lmao if that isn't tin foil hat conspiracy fruitcake stuff I don't know what is anymore.

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    If windows 7, 8,8.1 & 10 were really tracking everything everybody does online then i would of been locked up a long time ago.

I do sometimes wonder if my naughty behavior online would catch up to me one day but tbh i don't give a flying Fook.

We have serious Terrorism and Pedophiles running Windows to and even they don't get caught, so much for this spying BS.

Win 8.1 is just not worthy for AMD to waste resources on, simple as that.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    8.1 is irrelevant as they said. It's silly not to upgrade 8.1 to 10. Windows 10 is greatly improved in every way from 8.1. It's even more improved from 7 but the interface is a big deal for some. I used Classic Shell in 8.1, In 10, it's not needed. The Start menu in 10 is very nice.

11. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Trust me. When you agree to the 45 page long terms you LEGALLY give them the right to collect all the data. Please learn what lawyers actually do.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    So "data" in the legal terms also include stuff on your HD incl bank records, personal docs, private pics, etc? Are you saying there is no limit to what MS can collect from your PC (aside from telemetry) incl thru nefarious means that would make them legally liable in any way, shape or form? OK... got it :D.

13. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070

Thats a very technical description of the technological and ergonomic improvements from 8.1 to 10 lol.

If you look at the actual differences between 8.1 and 10, it essentially boils down to this:

DX12 which mostly helps low end hardware

Memory compression which only helps trash hardware with low amounts of RAM

Removed almost all user control over updates

Added telemetry that cant be disabled

Changed the terms to include agreeing to M$ having the rights to all the data on your PC, effectively making a Windows 10 PC, Microsofts.

Hey 10 has a game mode that makes games run worse though!

https://youtu.be/LfoJO_eThTY

14. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Clearly you didnt read the 45 page long terms. I have. Yeah, it basically does say that, but BECAUSE YOU AGREED to let them have, "you grant Microsoft a worldwide and royalty free intellectual property licence to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, distribute via communication tools and display Your Content on the Services."

When you agree, its no longer illegal.

http://cohornlaw.com/what-attorneys...ndows-10-and-microsofts-new-privacy-policies/

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I think Electromagnetic Radiation from my CPU Can be traced and decoded...

...Neighbor's cat looks kind of weird way on me since last month when I laugh to this:

16. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
  17. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming

18. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm shocked more people are not aware of this, it's one of the first things i mention to people.

It makes no difference to me but as i don't care and i have my phone setup to be much more intrusive, but it might be of some importance to some people.

DX12 mostly helps AMD hardware from entry level to high end. Just because you own an Nvidia card doesn't mean no one else matters.
    Also, helping low end hardware isn't a bad thing, the high end market might be loud, but it's tiny.

At the end of the day, you use the OS you like most overall. I couldn't go back to 8.1 and i only use 7 at work.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not really what I'm on about. I know that any MS services you use to transmit, store (OneDrive) or communicate such data makes it available for their collecting. What I'm talking about is sensitive, secured data on your PC that you DO NOT wish to transmit, share or communicate to anyone through regular means and can only be obtained through hacking. Are you saying that MS can hack my PC to get it? (Since that is in essence what another poster was implying using NSA or govts as examples).

20. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    RTFA and the terms. Yes i have actually read Windows 10s terms. 45 pages isnt that long. It clearly states that when you use a 10 PC, you grant them the right to all data that comes ACROSS that PC. It doesnt even have to be your data. It can be someone elses data that gets emailed and you open. It doesnt REQUIRE "hacking" for M$ to access anything that they have ring 0 access to from the start... It just requires an internet connection.

Seriously where have people been for the last couple years? Windows 10 is problematic for all kinds of peoples work, lawyers, doctors, people who handle financial data, and a bunch of foreign governments won't use it. With 10 Enterprise Edition(for large corporate or government customers only) you can visibly disable ALL telemetry. If youre an unwashed peasant using Home or Pro you cant.

Im not saying that M$ gives a **** about your data. Im just saying that you DO grant them access to it with 10 and they did dramatically change their terms and privacy policy with their first free OS, which also added tons of data collection, which was ALL turned on by default.

Spew BS about tin foil hats all you like but you should at least read the terms.