AMD Halts StoreMI Technology, Will be Replaced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD's Storage (HDD) caching technology has goner EOL. AMD has decided to end-of-life the current version of the StoreMI technology, and effective March 31, 2020, AMD will no longer make this technol...

AMD Halts StoreMI Technology, Will be Replaced

2. mentor07825

mentor07825 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 5700XT
    Has anyone used it? I'd like to hear what people think on how it benefited them. I've never used it myself. Opting instead right now to save up and slowly replace my hard drives with Solid State.

3. mannix

mannix Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 ArmorOC
    Mundosold and OnnA like this.
  4. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    5700xt 50th

5. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That was fast. (pun intended?)

I've looked into this several times but never tried it. I guess bcache would be the better option.

6. sonix1977nl

sonix1977nl New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD6950 2GB
    I am also using this software since I got my Ryzen 2700X. I actually bought Enmotus Fuzedrive so that it could handle SSDs up to 1 TB of size.

I had two instances in which my system became unbootable.
    The first one was because the hard disk actually was defect and had bad sectors.
    The second time it seems to be because of Fuzedrive itself. No bad hardware at all, just unable to boot because of a corrupted system file. Even system restore and system rescue didn't work anymore even following advice from the support manual.

But I really love not having to worry anymore about on which disk to install a game or moving games from one disk to another manually based on my usage.

7. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G
    Been using it since late 2018 when I put together my B450-based system. It's been good and relatively stable but about once every week or two I get DPC Watchdog BSODs that reference storport.sys or the Samsung NVME driver. I went ahead and bought the discounted $10 Fuzedrive upgrade because they said the next version will have a re-linearization feature to "un-Fuze" the drives (could be useful if I ever plan to switch to AMD's upcoming solution)

8. Valkyr09

Valkyr09 Member

GPU:
    GTX 2070 Super
    I did try StoreMI. It was no better than before. It did do some odd errors and I had a few conflicts with Samsung NVME driver. What pissed me though was that you could not uninstall it. I had to reformat my whole system to remove the damn thing. Now I stay away from that StoreMI thing. It is the devil incarnate. Good riddance.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds like you've never updated the samsung nvme driver.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    My NVMe shows 27GB/s :p (4GB from RAM, 4KB Block Size)

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    I tried using it once but setting it up was annoying for some reason so I said frack it and didn't. Annoying driver issues, the eternal bane of AMD.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    tried it once, it was really fast but as i have hardware that have the same feature, i don't use it on my computer (just have a NVMe in it)

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I never understood why AMD made it in the first place, considering the alternatives. Perhaps they were feeling left out because of Optane but that doesn't really make sense considering AMD doesn't make storage devices, whereas Intel has for a long time.

14. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    You had to use DriverStoreExplorer and manually remove it.

15. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    I've been using it and loving it, I matched a intel 240GB SSD to a 6TB western digital blue Drive and it honestly feels like I have a 6TB SSD. I have my entire steam library installed on it all at once, what helps is that the slow drive is no slouch, i've had it running with a Toshiba 2TB 7200rpm drive before but it was not only noisy but was lagging up the entire thing so you don't want your slow drive to be too slow as it also matters. It's unfortunate that AMD has discontinued this, I really hope their alternative will be better.

Embra likes this.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    It was the main selling point of 4x0 boards right? Pretty sure it's why I went x370 instead.

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Finally get an X470 board, and it's removed. Just, lovely timing.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can still use it

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Cant download it. But i haven't looked hard for it. I wanted to try a cheap 256gb nvme with a new 6tb.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    I tried the software once , it works as intended but you will feel the benefits only if you still used Hard drives along an ssd. Now i only have NVMe for boot drive and big storage cheap SSD so it does not feel any faster with this software so i uninstall it.