AMD GPUs based on Navi 12 and Navi 14 could launch mid-October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    warlord, Maddness and insp1re2600 like this.
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    I really hope they offer good competition to the 1660xxx series.

My 570 needs to be retired.

Plus for the love of Darwin....please small GPUs. I don't want behemoth GPUs, cos these dont need to be

Silva and Strange Times like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

moo100times, Clawedge and Maddness like this.
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I’m pretty sure they will. I think with the imminent release of these, we will see Polaris based cards going EOL.

Clawedge likes this.

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Oh wait. Forgot to say one more thing

My body is ready!

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    5500 and 5600/5800. Both Polaris and Vega are going EOL before 2020 it seems. But I wonder if a full rdna 1.0 gamut comes out until end of 2019, what about 2020? Is there still a possibility for rdna 2.0 to come out next year?

7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm really not sure we will see 5800 until 2020 imo.

Silva likes this.
  8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It depends. If there will be gpu with more extra Navi 10/12 CUs it comes 2019 or Navi 21/23 based 5800/5900 at 2020.

9. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    If it's RDNA2 based, it would make sense to call it RX 6000 series?

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It should replace 570/580 (finally) but thats not the upgrade im looking for. I dont think it will be much faster than Polaris 20. Rumor is that it will compete with 1650ti.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019

11. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Technically speaking the RX 5700 is the replacement for the 570, with the RX 5700XT replacing the 580/590.

Sure, financially speaking it's not an alluring proposition but here we are. :(

I wouldn't hold out hope for the 5600/5500 series representing a meaningful upgrade over the 570. Perhaps at the top end of those series, or maybe they'll surprise me, but I can't imagine it'll be the kind of upgrade it's worth paying for.
    Not necessarily.

The 5700/5700XT are midrange in all but price, with Navi 12 and 14 likely being the 5600- and 5500-series that leaves the high- and enthusiast tiers left. Presumably to be filled by the 5800 and/or 5900 series.

I realize that it's customary to keep bumping the most significant figure, all vendors are equally guilty here, but unless AMD never plans to release a part beyond 40CUs again there should be a 5800/5900 series as well. Also, if they wanted to iterate the numbering scheme quickly for whatever reason it doesn't make any sense to start with "5x00" rather than "1x00".

IMHO, obviously.

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    There is no need nor point to upgrade rx 570 anyway. No one pays the same amount of money in near future, for the same upgrade class. You sell it and then go either for a discounted 580/590 or 5700/vega56 to see more fps. 5600 would be a sidegrade with new tech. Like going from gtx 980 to 1060.

13. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Yeah I agree with you guys. The 570 is too good in terms of value

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'll have faith when AMD consistently compete with the high end. How many years have they literally not had a single card to compete in the high end now? 5700 XT at the price of a left nut competes against 2017's GTX 1080 Ti, nice. I'm not counting late 2016's Titan XP since that series is never a real release at a real price and is just a dick flex from nVidia. I've been poking at a friend in AMD's GPU division with a stick for like year now and rarely ever got any info at all. He's obviously not allowed to tell me anything else and stuck to the rules; AMD don't want any info out because they're painfully behind and were sabotaged by that douche who went to Intel.

Ironically I'm hoping Intel end up saving us from nVidia's monopoly on the high end... Then again it's Intel, if they ever have a high end product they'll assault us with nVidia level pricing.

cryohellinc likes this.
  15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Still, if not for AMD, we would get $2k RTX 2080Ti (or more).

I'm in the middle of building a new rig right now, and with bonkers local prices, I went with 5700 XT. Sadly I don't have my old 1080Ti anymore, as that (IMO) is a great GPU.

2021 should be interesting, as we will have Intel/ AMD/ Nvidia competing with one another. We haven't had a proper consumer sector competition for years now. Looking forward to it.

P.S. Keep poking your friend so that they release a beefier version of their GPUs. ;)

Neo Cyrus and Maddness like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I too think Intel is who we have to depend on. I'm not especially hopeful about it, considering this will be their first GPU with a serious focus on gaming since... maybe ever. So, even if their architecture is great (which I expect it will be), they've got a lot of polishing to do. That in turn means they won't be exorbitantly expensive.

It is worth pointing out that Intel is only overpriced when it comes to CPUs. Just about everything else they make has a normal price (with a few exceptions here and there).

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    As I have said many times:
    Gives us a $200 -ish video card with good power consumption and plenty of GPU power for 1080 -2K gaming and you'll have people making queues as big as iPhone launch.
    I have saved money for a slashed RX 580 or a Vega 56 for 200-ish.
    But if there is a strong possibility to have a Navi GPU for the same amount of cash, well, why not?

jbscotchman and Silva like this.
  18. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Intel will Carry and "Intel" price. It may be somewhat competitive, but I seriously doubt it will be cheap.

Also, little is known of what level GPU thy will release. I am think a mid tier one (2060, 5700).
    Biggest market.

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    200 bucks, huh? A decent video card today needs 8GB of memory and it needs to be GDDR6 to be fast enough for the modern GPUs. That alone will cost a good chunk of the 200 dollars. Every component manufacturer, the whole card assembler (video card partner), the importer (wholesale), plus the final retail step have to make some profit. And of course the country is taking their taxes. 200 bucks isn't an awfully big cake to share, so it indeed would need to sell like iAnything to iZombies.

Maddness likes this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    This.
    Intel isn't dumb enough to have a higher price : performance than their competitors, but their reputation (to the general public anyway) will prevent them from being a bargain choice. I think Intel would rather lose potential sales and make their price point slightly higher than they should, than be associated as cheap.
    It's also the most competitive market, and not the one that leaves the strongest impression among enthusiasts. Despite the fact AMD has pretty solid mid-range performance, their lack of high-end GPUs often gets people to associate Nvidia as a better brand overall, even if they don't buy Nvidia's high-end parts.
    Think of it like the Mercedes C class: in most cases, you can get better luxury, better performance, and better quality if you went for a different brand, but the reason people opt for those cars is because the other classes carry so much weight for the brand.
    So, even though I have confidence Intel can release a solid and a modestly priced mid-range GPU, they're not going to win anyone over until they release something competitive with Nvidia's high-end.