AMD GPU Linux driver patches is listing seven Vega 10 IDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I just wish that AMD Vega will at least be on par with the 1080Ti... That in itself is a big task for them.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If they had achieved a breakthrough and got the MHz up. It shouldn't be architecturally such a behemoth that it would beat the 1080Ti if it's running really slowly, especially with the custom 1080Tis being factory OCed. Fury-X vs 980Ti taught us as much.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    just in some chosen case... that's maybe because the last of them were sold around 250Euro on sale (btw it was less expensive than the 390X 8g).

just let Vega do it's path to the review :)

(don't forget that the RX480 was intended to destroy the GTX1080 in any condition if you were listening too much the hype...)

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Very very slow. I get the feeling they try to bump up the vega hardware stats as much as they can since Ti got released. Otherwise why it takes them SO LONG? By the time they release, Volta will come out, and then its a big fail.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Volta isn't coming out till like March next year. Vega is coming out in like a month or two. Relax.

7. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    1.50GHz 4096SP 16GB HBM2 275W Behemoth must crush 1080Ti lol

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not too often I see Linux news here (though being a Phoronix reader, I already knew about this).

As much as I like AMD, I don't think they're going to beat the 1080Ti, especially not without needing 3 PCIe power connectors.

What they really need is something that consistently outperforms the 1070 while also being more energy efficient. Right now the 1070 is the only efficient, "reasonably priced", single-card GPU that can reliably play games in 2K. There are other options to play games in 2K, but they're either too power hungry, they can't sustain constant good framerates, they're too expensive, or you need more than one of them.

If Vega is a solid competitor to the 1070, that will be a good product. I think AMD needs more time to make something 4K-ready (in other words, something that will beat a 1080Ti).

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    One of the most important parts of the article is that AMD is doing a big rewrite of their driver that needs to be accepted first. It has already been rejected once.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not the entire driver, primarily just the parts involving DAL/DC. This is needed for HDMI/DP audio on existing products, and is necessary for all future products, like Vega.

The rewrite was required since it was repeatedly rejected from being added to the Linux kernel, and for good reasoning. It's nice to see AMD has [hopefully] managed to set things right in time for Vega's release.