1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD FX Bulldozer CPU Against Intel Core i7-990X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    Your argument holds no weight. The comparison is price vs performance, which AMD wins. Stop wasting space on the net.

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Unfettered that was an obvious fanboy comment you made and any intelligent Guru would say so no matter their rig. There is stating facts, then there is adding emotional "IN YOUR FACE" dribble that you just did. I can't speak for the mods or all the members but please refrain from such type of comments.

It degrades threads and ceases intelligent discussion about technology and serves no other purpose than e-peen measurement.

3. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    You sound jealous of AMD.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If it was price v performance, the 2500k would beat both of them when it came to games.

Oh, good just what we need, another "helpful" member.

5. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Is comparing a 4 module 8 core Bulldozer to a 4 core 2600K, fair? Since both have 8 threads? Or is it considered apples to oranges because bulldozer has twice the amount of cores?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    Bulldozer is already faster than Sandy Bridge. Using the 2500k isn't a good comparison because it doesn't do hyperthreading, so in those benchmarks and real world situations that utilize hyperthreading it wont compete with the Bulldozer. Being that the 2600k is more around 300, Bulldozer will be very competative since it is faster.

Bulldozer is still in development, doesn't have its final drivers or its final tweaks. And is already faster in most situations. That said Intel will surely be back on top when Ivy Bridge is released. But for now its AMD's game.

edit: Not to mention, when people do benchmarks for Intel and AMD processors but do them with NVIDIA cards it is a bit bias. NVIDIA is known for designing its driver suites to favor Intel. I'd like to see both ATI and NVIDIA systems with both processor types, to see the discrepancy.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    But you used gaming benchmarks at 25x16 not app's that use hyperthreading as a comparison, which is why i brought the 2500k up as that, and probably a couple of other cheap CPU's would of had similar results.

BD will no doubt be competitive with SB, but it's still to early to say how competitive, or if the price/performance will be as good as we normally get from AMD.

8. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    About the gaming performance, up and coming games WILL be multi-threaded. For example ID Tech-5 is multi-threaded and will be released THIS year. So the age of non multi threaded gaming is coming to a long deserved end. Albeit a slow one.

And as I stated before those gaming benchmarks were done on an NVIDIA system. And NVIDIA optimizes its drivers for Intel more so than AMD. Which is why I'd like to see both processors benched in those games using both ATI and NVIDIA chipsets/video cards.

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Why did you not include the i7 2600k?? Its cheaper than the Zambezi.... (and is on par wit / better than the 990x at stock in most applications)

10. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    Be sure to read ALL of the posts before you make a counter.

11. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I referred to your post on price. You didn't mention the i7 2600k.

The post I quoted was a good few before you mentioned the 2600k.

Be sure to NOT be a knob when signing onto a new forum.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    While I am slightly optimistic for BD and have been waiting for it to be my CPU for years, this new joker is not going to last long here with this kind of attitude.

13. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Nope.

I'm running an AMD cpu at the moment, before that it was a Core 2, before that is was Athlon 64 x2 and Athlon 64.

I'm awaiting BD to decide between that or Sandy Bridge.

I really thought fanboyism of his type died off around 2006.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yeah I had a Core 2 E8400 (before that AMD 6000+) but I thought it went bad and its just sitting in a box with its Asus motherboard. I actually hoped the E8400 4870X2 would last me until BD and ATI 7x00 but it did not. Now I have no money for BD so I will probably wait until the BD refresh in 2012.

15. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I've had AMD XP, athlon 64, opteron X2, Athlon 64 X2, E8400, and now I have a Q9550 in my main rig. I ordered a phenom II 955 to put in my M2N32SLI, but little did I know it wouldn't support the 125W quad cores. Since I couldn't return it due to neweggs cpu return policy, I went ahead and got a Asus sabertooth and 8Gb of muskin 1866. So essentially a 100 cpu upgrade turned into 400$. That being said I think ill be picking up bulldozer if it indeed matches or holds its own to SB-E. Would save me a good deal of money rather than building an ivy bridge system

16. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    While I have no favourite either way, I hope bulldozer does well just to hopefully bring prices down, competition is usually good for the consumer :)

17. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Eh, pretty sure a BIOS would allow you to unnoficially pop a Phenom II in there
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=286970

Check that thread anyway, I know its for the M2N SLI Deluxe - but there certainly were users with your board posting in there.

18. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I've read of a couple of people getting it to work but from what I understood the M2N32 is only rated for 95W quad cores. Latest bios update 5002 has the 945 as the highest clocked phenom that will work. The regular M2N bios update 5001 does support the 955 IIRC, which is weird. Ill check that thread out though. There are some rare C3 steppings of the 955 that are 95W also.

19. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    Today, 13:35 | posts: 4,197 | Location: Dublin, Ireland

Today, 13:01 | posts: 7 | Location: PHX

I had talked about the 2600k prior to your post, but I failed to realize you were refering to my original comparison, in which I should have included the 2600k.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  20. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    Also Dublin_Gunner I do appologize for my lack of tact in reguards to your post. My reaction was not justified considering you were only pointing out the fact that I DID leave out the 2600k in my post comparing the BD to the 990x.

Not that this is any justification but I was very aggrivated about some personal crap going on and unfortunately it bleed into my posts. Appologies to all.