1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD FX-8150 Retail (Bulldozer) Review by lab501

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Pinhead

Pinhead Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Classified GTX 780Ti
    I haven't bought another 6970---- yet. But it looks like I will just for BF3 and a few other games. It's just dispiriting when a company you have always loved-dating back to my old 1 Gzh Thunderbird- has dropped the ball so much. Bulldozer seems to be an absolute BUST and it doesn't make me happy. What does make me happy is the fact that my Nehalem i7 is still rocking and I don't need to spend any cash on anything other than the aforementioned additional 6970.

It sucks but it's the truth--until the next-gen consoles come out, PC gaming is stuck in a bit of limbo because we're currently tied to crap ports due to ancient hardware.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    +1 agree

3. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Indeed, i was going after i5 but after some though i'll pay the 100USD+ and get the i7 (yes, here in argentina i5 2500k is 300USD and i7 2600k is 400USD)

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    BD didn't really beat the old Phenom 2 X6... it just matched it or managed to be an insignificant notch above in certain things. Only the cherry picked benchmarks make it seem like BD is any better than P2 by any notable amount.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    anyone here notice that hardwareheavens review is showing the 8150 as an amazing cpu? o_O

they don't use the asus crosshair v either

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    even if it did manage to smoke intel, the insane power draw of this cpu when overclocked is enough for most people to pass on it.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It does smoke Intel's, if you put Intel CPU on top of it.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    If you're referring to the gaming benchmarks, I think they selected a few which cater to the strengths of bulldozer. Without a doubt, Total War games are extremely CPU intensive, especially when unit sizes are cranked up.

I think, in a perfectly multi-threaded world, Bulldozer is a decent CPU. Not ground breaking, but competitive. The problem is, the world is no where near that. In fact, it's not that at all, and as such, Bulldozer just kinda...doesn't work.

I think AMD is trying to do it backward here. They made an "8 core" processor, and now, with the next generations, they are going to improve IPC and make it steadily better. I think that was the wrong approach. I think high single core performance was the way to go for now, and then slowly trying to scale up the cores as time progresses and more applications crave more cores. I think it's just too early to try to push an 8 core CPU on the mainstream.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It's not too early, because i7-2600K already had some benefits through HT even if it's only 4 cores.
    Aside from mediocre performance per core, there's nothing wrong with the overall performance of BD, and the availability of multi-threaded applications has nothing to do with it; many renderers & encoders already support multi-threading.

It's just that its power consumption is hideous.
    In total cost of ownership, BD's not competitive at all, even at a low entry price.

10. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34

11. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    As always i'm pessimistic. It's not just bad for AMD, it's bad for all of us, because Intel doesn't have any real competitors on this CPU side, so they can raise the price , launch upcoming products with less performance, think in Business way. There were times, when Intel sucked, but that was long time ago, if we wouldn't have AMD at that time, who knows what Intel would sell right now. But for changes on price we should ask real economist, who knows cpu market very well. What i'm saying, that it is possible to see bad things in near future, but who knows? Hope i'm wrong =]